The E-reader thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The E-reader thread...

Oh my Goddess...I was just on the Book World website and looked under the "mind, body and spirit" category, I need an e-reader!! Otherwise my house is going to be so full of books you won't be able to get around. There are so many good books to read, I don't know where to start!
    ~~~TigerGypsy~~~

Re: I need an e-reader.....

you can get the kindle program for your computer without an e-reader...but if you are looking for an e-reader, I would get a nook
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

e-readers are the devil. Buy books.

Mostly art.

Comment

Downloads are great, just be sure that you're download can't be taken away later.

Amazon pulled that trick a while back and I'm avoiding Kindle over it.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I'm really interested in getting an eBook reader also. My house has so many books in it, I could be featured on Hoarders.

I don't want a kindle, because I'm currently pissed at Amazon, and, also, they seem to be fighting against the ePub format which seems to be the emerging standard - I don't want to give Amazon a monopoly on what I read.

I don't particularly want to download books to my computer because I read flopped on my back in bed, and the computer is awkward for that.

I looked at the Nook, which seems like a good choice.

But now I'm wondering... Vulcaniclastic, what is it you don't like about eReaders? Maybe I should reconcile myself to the yearly book purges...

I've never used one, but the main issue I have with them is that the (commercially available) books are copyright protected and can't be stored off the individual reader - which means that when - ultimately - the thing goes down, my library will go with it..

I can work around that by buying paper reference books and light reading as eBooks... And there are enough free books available from Project Gutenberg that I could read forever, and replace anything from there if I needed to....
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I can work around that by buying paper reference books and light reading as eBooks... And there are enough free books available from Project Gutenberg that I could read forever, and replace anything from there if I needed to....
            This is why I want one.

I have the (free) kindle program...mainly because I have never been able to get the (free) nook application to download correctly on my computer (I'm giving it a go again right now). I actually got it to sort of preview if I thought I would like to get an ereader...obviously there are some differences--one being that I *can't* flop in bed and read though I *can* pull up my comfy rocking chair and move my screen and mouse.

On one hand...it would save trees. I read mass market paperbacks like they are going out of style--seriously, I can read a 300-400 page book in about 2-3 hours. For me, reading is REALLY expensive and my personal library of pleasure reading takes up TOO DARN MUCH ROOM...so does my reference library, but thats a bit more understandable. On the other hand, I like the feel of a book.

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

[quote author=B. de Corbin link=topic=792.msg12682#msg12682 date=1289657266]
              But now I'm wondering... Vulcaniclastic, what is it you don't like about eReaders? Maybe I should reconcile myself to the yearly book purges...

I've never used one, but the main issue I have with them is that the (commercially available) books are copyright protected and can't be stored off the individual reader - which means that when - ultimately - the thing goes down, my library will go with it..

[/quote]

I don't like the advancement in technology. I have literally hundreds of books in my house, and that number grows monthly - but I have wanted my own library for as long as I've known what the word 'library' meant, and I'm determined to have it. I also don't believe that staring at a led backlit screen can be any good for your eyes (take the computer, for example) - I've never even been able to read off the screen for longer than a few paragraphs.

But mostly, I hate the advancement in technology. We've got iPods, and iPads, Kindle's and Nook's, netbooks, and laptops, and tablet PCs. Blueray DVD players, PS3's and XBOX 360s. Let's leave books be. Because if this e-reader bullshit eventually causes books to become obsolete (as film is becoming for cameras - I hate that too, by the way) ...somebody is going to get hurt.

Mostly art.

Comment

I really like the feel of books too. I have some nice old editions printed on letter press machines, and you'll just never get the same kind of aesthetic pleasure out of an eBook. Maybe a different kind of aesthetic pleasure, but not the same one.

Saving trees isn't that big of a deal (I'm a heretic) because trees used for paper pulp are really an easily renewable natural resource. A poplar forest, for instance, will be clearcut and ready to harvest again in 10 years (a wild poplar rarely lives much beyond 20 years). And while the forest is in a state of regrowth, it makes a splendid habitat for animals - much better in terms of forage and cover than a mature oak forest which is almost barren of nutrients (they're all tied up in the leaves and trunks).

But!!! What you will save is a lot of industrial waste from the processing of those trees into paper. Acids and bleaches are dumped into the watershed during the processing, and that would be greatly reduced if paperbacks - and ephemera like newpapers - were electronic instead of paper.

It should also be a little bit cheaper because you are only paying for the intellectual property and the profit margin, not for the physical object.

I'm going to trot off to Walmart right now and look at the Nooks. Apparently they sell them there... wifey works there, so we get a discount...

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=792.msg12699#msg12699 date=1289662197]
                I don't like the advancement in technology. I have literally hundreds of books in my house, and that number grows monthly - but I have wanted my own library for as long as I've known what the word 'library' meant, and I'm determined to have it. I also don't believe that staring at a led backlit screen can be any good for your eyes (take the computer, for example) - I've never even been able to read off the screen for longer than a few paragraphs.

But mostly, I hate the advancement in technology. We've got iPods, and iPads, Kindle's and Nook's, netbooks, and laptops, and tablet PCs. Blueray DVD players, PS3's and XBOX 360s. Let's leave books be. Because if this e-reader bullshit eventually causes books to become obsolete (as film is becoming for cameras - I hate that too, by the way) ...somebody is going to get hurt.
                [/quote]
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

[/quote]

How much postage? ;D

Mostly art.

Comment

Buy books, they're better than download, easier to read (personal opinion) and you can lend them out to people without breaking copyright :P
                    "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
                    - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=792.msg12616#msg12616 date=1289621718]
                      you can get the kindle program for your computer without an e-reader...but if you are looking for an e-reader, I would get a nook
                      [/quote]

I looked at one of those, expensive, but I think that would be the one I'd get, too.

I do still like to feel of books, but I have such limited options from the library and even more limited funds from the bank, that if I can get an e-reader, 1) alot of the books are free and 2) alot of the books are cheaper and 3) yes, it would save trees.
                      (and I don't have a half-price books anywhere near me), or any other people (that I know of) that share my beliefs in my area to borrow from.

So , I think for me an e-reader fits. Not saying I'll never buy a real book again because I'm sure I will. :-*
                      ~~~TigerGypsy~~~

Comment

I'm with the Penny Arcade guys on this one:

I just don't think I'd feel comfortable soaking in a nice hot bubble bath with an eReader.

(http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/3/9/progress/)
                        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

^ That's hilarious! I love that.

But... too late...

I just blew off most of the day playing with my Nook (that just sounds sooooo wrong).

Here's what I've found (I'll try not to get too technical):

A. It's easy to read. Especially for me, 'cause my eyes don't work so good anymore, and I can up size the type a hair.

B. It's heavier than I expected. Not as heavy as The Unabridged Oxford English Dictionary (which I think is supposed to be in there somewhere), but heavier than the average paperback.

C. It's too easy to shop for books because you get a direct line into the bookstore. I'm going to end up spending too much money here, I can just feel it. But, on the other hand, the nearest bookstore is a 2 hour drive from here, and I hate ordering a book when I want to read one, then having to wait for a week to get it. I guess it balances out. I've already bought 10 Science Fiction Classics ($1.99) and Algebra I for Dummies ($9.99) (I hate being a math idiot).

D. Speaking of balance, it doesn't balance very well on the edge of the sink when you go into the bathroom, and if it falls, that would be bad.

E. The touch screen is touchy. My big meathooks end up sending me off to weird places every time I try to brouse through the Romance section of B & N. I'm already getting used to it, though, and not knowing where you're going is kind of fun. Did you know there is actually a book titled Why Do Dogs Eat Poop??

F. I spent the extra cash for the 3G version, which was probably a waste, since I can only get a fraction of one bar at my house. I would have been fine with the Wi-Fi, which hooks into my home wireless network.

G. It makes me feel so Captain Kirkish. "Spock! Get your hands off my Nook, or I'll send McCoy over to spray you with spittle again!"

H. It won't work in the bathtub, but I never read in the bathtub. I hate it when I drop the book, and wet paper sticks all over my legs. And Corbin don't do no bubbles.

All in all, I recommend it.

Comment

[quote author=B. de Corbin link=topic=792.msg12829#msg12829 date=1289687984]
                            D. Speaking of balance, it doesn't balance very well on the edge of the sink when you go into the bathroom, and if it falls, that would be bad.
                            [/quote]

For this type of concern, you want something like one of these. Long as you find the right casing (and I have no idea how good the linked one is, I don't use dedicated e-readers atm), they provide pretty good impact protection.

[quote author=B. de Corbin link=topic=792.msg12682#msg12682 date=1289657266]

[/quote]

This trend has more to do with specific publishers than any necessity. I download PDF RPG books regularly and carry several dozen around on a thumb drive. Exempting WotC, most RPG companies have no problem providing PDF files for sale with built in watermarks as a protection against unlicensed sales. WotC's current stance came after they caught someone providing unlicensed copies without removing the watermarks. I'm slowly discovering though that RPG publishers seem to be much nicer about this than everyone else.
                            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Well, I just bought my first two books (yes, real books, no e-reader yet). I bought The Mythology Bible and Dictionary of Ancient Deities. I hope there both useful. Both of them had pretty good reviews.
                              ~~~TigerGypsy~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X