Mentors/Groups/teachers in Paganism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mentors/Groups/teachers in Paganism

Seeing all of the posts about "oh I'm thinking about learning about Wicca, should I get a teacher?" or "help me LEEEARRRN!!!" are really frustrating and a waste of time. Some advice: Go Read a book already! You don't need to announce to this forum or any place on the internet that you are going to do something or learn something and get peoples approval before you do it!

Re: Mentors/Groups/teachers in Paganism

some people want to test the waters first, or learn better from other people, or simply desire to not be alone in learning or to have someone to ask questions to. I don't think its so wrong to hope for a helping hand....
    hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

I totaly agree with Malflick.
      Learning something alone is really boring, in my opinion.
      "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

This thread belongs to the rant section, in my opinion.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Picking up a book is great and all, but some people benefit from having a mentor or "learning buddy". Also, learning directly from people can be better than books, because books don't give you feedback and their direction is limited to whatever is contained within the pages. Having someone there to help you out gives you quicker feedback and (sometimes) better direction.

That said, I do wish that more newbies would at least do a basic Google search for new-to-paganism guides. There are several of them out there. It's far easier to help newbies along when they've done some of the initial legwork and can therefore ask more specific questions.
          Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

Originally posted by Celliehwyn View Post
            Seeing all of the posts about "oh I'm thinking about learning about Wicca, should I get a teacher?" or "help me LEEEARRRN!!!" are really frustrating and a waste of time. Some advice: Go Read a book already! You don't need to announce to this forum or any place on the internet that you are going to do something or learn something and get peoples approval before you do it!
            For someone who's really new, "should I get a teacher" may be a valid concern; when I first started, I liked the idea of having a teacher but I was living in the middle of nowhere, so I knew it wasn't an option. Someone who might have teachers in the area could genuinely wonder if that's a good way to learn.

I'd rather someone get ahold of a good teacher IRL than read some of the popular books out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Celliehwyn View Post
              Books can't talk back to you. They can't answer questions that are beyond the scope of their contents. They sure as hell can't explain that which must be felt. Neither can people for that matter, but people can at least help you figure out how to feel things for yourself as is appropriate for your path/experience level. Books can't do that.

I love books. Books are an awesome place to start. But they are a lousy place to end. Why on earth would anyone think telling someone to read book rather than talking to those that have first hand experience is a good idea?
              "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Personally I think there are two separate issues here.

The notion of mentor or teacher usually has a pretty strict guide as to what it entails or suggests within most pagan / heathen pathways.. Specifically a person who accepts the role to train and guide either within a traditional lineage pathway such as BTW for instance. It may also suggest the role of a teacher to student within many of the individualized pathways such as many Shamanic type pathways. In both instances a student only taken on once the perspective student has proven a sincere desire and commitment to said training and the conditions by which it is given. Conditions set by the teacher or lineage as to what is expected as prerequisite knowledge and demonstration of a desire. Consider many that use the instance of a year and a day commit of personal study before the group will even consider them for training and acceptance into an initiation pathway.

The other perspective is more of a guide than a mentor / teacher in that one is available to answer questions, give suggestions and perhaps reveal aspects of their own pathway via whatever form they desire. No commitment by either perspective student or perspective teacher as to how long it shall last, what degree or level of commitment is demanded or expected of each party. No expectation of any prior level of knowledge coming into the exchange and response simply because one desires to do so. The degree of response also strictly determined by how far one wishes to answer or exchange their knowledge and experiences.

I tend to think the first example is a voluntary one with dedicated commitment and schedule of training between the two parties involved. The second more of a one sided voluntary commitment only to the extent the "Teacher" wishes to guide or help. As such one guide may simply offer suggested reading ideas, another might go further and actually speak in depth about said book, another perhaps even deeper and speak about the book and the spiritual / psychological impact / influence it had upon them. Yet no commitment or agreement exists between the two parties to do so.

But heck it's late the percusets are trying to kill the spinal pain tonight and perhaps none of this makes any sense except to my whacked out head.
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
                X