This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Patron God(dess)

I remember some time ago there being a thread of this sort out there, but I think it may have been on the old site before the Crash. If there's one here that I just didn't find, I apologize.

That said, how did you know that your Patron was your Patron?

For me, it came as what seemed to be a very vivid, lucid dream, that to this day I am only partially convinced WAS just a dream. I remember the day had been nothing out of the ordinary, and I had gone to bed as usual, falling asleep quickly, only to open my eyes to find myself standing just inside the door of a large wooden hall. Lit with torches, and a large central fire pit, numerous long tables filled the area, though the place was oddly empty, save for a single figure sitting hunched on an elaborately carved wooden seat, though I would hesitate to call it a throne. I slowly made my way toward the person who sat there, wrapped in a sort of nondescript grey blanket, and I was thinking to myself how small he seemed in comparison to his seat, and that I sort of felt like I was part of a scene from The Two Towers (where they approach the wretched form of Theodan). The closer I came, the more nervous I felt, though it was a familiar sort of nervousness, the kind you feel when you know you have to go see the principal in school, or to face a parent.

As I neared, he stood from where he sat, pushing back the cloth that had shrouded his head, revealing his true self. He was a giant of a man, standing at least twice my height, and I could not believe how I had ever thought of him to be frail. A large cloak rested upon his shoulders, and beneath that a glimmering hauberk of mail. His face was bearded and aged, but with a look of strength and wisdom, his right eye a mass of scar tissue as his left regarded me with a stready, piercing stare. It was then I also noticed that there lay two large wolves on either side of the throne, and as he looked at me, they lifted their heads to do the same. We regarded each other in silence for a time, simply taking each other in.

It seemed as though we stood there for a while, not saying a word, when he nodded to me and sat back down, the wolves also losing interest and closing their eyes. He has just about settled back into his seat when there was a breeze and a pair of ravens flew into the room, circled me, then lighted upon his shoulders. They cawed to him for a time, and he rose quickly, pointed to me, and then the entire room spun, and I found myself awake in bed, feeling as though I hadn't slept at all.

Re: Your Patron God(dess)

Hmmm.... It looks a bit Norse to me. The wolves. the architecture, the crows...
    It can be possibly be a sign from a God.

When I looked for my patron God, I looked for the God's personality and character that fit me the most.
    Try to think about something common between the "throne", the man's appearance. the crows and the wolves.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Yah, it was far from vague. That was how I was aware of it being Odin for me, and in honor of it, I had gotten a tattoo of tow raven's heads.

Comment

Mine came to me via non-spiritual means even though I am born-pagan. I was looking for a name for my art web site and I wanted something that reflected my heritage (as I make traditional scared geometry Baltic art) and something that also represented that I live in Australia. Growing up, my family spoke of the many (thousands) of Baltic Dievs/Gods and one that always stuck in my mind was the God Auseklis, the personification of Venus the illuminated one. Auseklis having the 'Aus' in it gave me that connection to AUStralia and my pagan Latvian heritage. Auseklis is also represented by an 8 pointed star and I am born in the 8th month of August represented by Virgo the Virgin who is strongly aligned with the 8 pagan celebrations of the Wheel of the Year. It was a win/win situation for me as it became my 'pagan' name, my art name and my business name.
        My posts are generally sent from my cell fone. Please excuse my brevity, and spelling/grammar errors.

Comment

The throne, the wolves, the ravens? It definitely sounds like Odin (Wotan) to me.

Comment

My patron God kept appearing to me over and over again in my dreams. I was fascinated with the Egyptian pantheon, which he is from. Even when I was a kid I felt a connection to that pantheon.
            -Jessica [aka Whitewolf]

Comment

It's always been Freja for me...what can I say..I'm Shamanic...but I'll take help from any of them

Comment

I suppose I have two patron Goddesses and two patron Gods.

Artemis was the first to claim me and left no doubt about it. Appearing to me in the form of a physical doe I meet on a mountain trial then having a woman speak to me basically saying "I am Artemis and you are mine!" left little doubt about that. That I was not even in my teens at the time and had never heard of her added to the strangeness of it which made it last so strongly in my mine. Hekate / Hecate appeared to me a number of times in dream form and walking visions but it was some time before I actually connected a name to her. In discovering Artemis I was lead to Bastet, Pahket and Diana but many times it seems more so as aspects of Artemis and / or Hekate / Hecate vice as unique goddesses themselves. So that makes it difficult at times though I honor and speak to Bastet, Pahket and Diana (especially Diana Nemorensis) as individuals.

During my youth and up to the point where I joined the military at 18 Artemis was the only one that I knew for sure by name. While on active duty she and the other's were present but not as active. Then in the final years (20 -23) when I was injured and retiring the goddesses changed places with the gods as who was most active. Today it is mostly the goddesses who guide and speak to me.

The two gods have mainly been active during my military years and have stepped back since then but are still present though less active. Sekor who ironically first appeared during a game of D&D back in the late 70's and many times over the years while I served on active duty. The other I still have no name for and simply refer to him as The Huntsman. In appearance he resembles Herne the Hunter, Cernnunos, and even aspects of Hermes but always located in the woods with antlers or horns upon his head / shoulders and many times at or near a crossroads. Sometimes though the crossroads is not man made but the natural cross juncture's that occur along many game trails or juncture's where two valley ravines open upon upon each other before dropping into a larger valley. Every time I've asked or tried to identify him he says he doesn't need a name as long as I know who he is to me.
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I'm not sure for myself personally. Growing up, I always felt close to the greek pantheon. I was extremely interested in them as a child with no explaination and I always had an unexplainable...bitterness towards the roman pantheon. Again, I couldn't tell you why.

If I had to pick a god I feel close to in the greek pantheon, it would be Hermes. Hermes has always felt familiar to me in ways that other dieties haven't.

Comment

I've always been drawn to Apollo, perhaps it has to do with being a Leo, or perhaps i'm just a sun worshiper.

But I also have a goddess that I frequently contact, more so than I speak to Apollo. It seems that the cycles of my energy relate heavily to the Sun.... such right now my energy seems to be growing.
                    Last edited by Mephilis; 28 Jan 2014, 01:45. Reason: augment

Comment

I am drawn to Ceronus and Pan

Comment

After I had done a ton of reading, I decided I definitely wanted Artemis. But the first time I contacted her she told me no. That there was another Goddess I was more suited for; that I already belonged too. She sent me to Athena, so Athena has been my Patron Goddess ever since

Comment

I have since childhood been very attracted spiritually to images of Mother Goddesses. This fertility goddess archetype is something I really empathize with. Guess it would be Freya/Hera/Anahit/Isis, that kind of thing, since I don't have any specific name for her, but I believe all these representations are of the same Goddess in different cultures, having the characteristics that culture needs to give their Goddess.

Comment

Comment

Well after watching the movie Hercules (cartoon version) I wanted to learn more about the characters for which the movie was based on. So I started learning about the Greek Panetheon, then I learned about the Roman Pantheon, then I watched the movie the Mummy and learned about the Greek Pantheon, then my brother told me about the Norse Pantheon and I started to look into that as well. I do like Cupid/Eros but he is not for me, I like Isis and Bastet but don't feel any real connections to them, I like Freya and Loki but do not feel any real connections to them either. I feel more connected to the Greek Pantheon and I feel more connected to Apollo and Poseidon, and Aphrodite and Selene. I love art, music, water, flowers, the moon, the night sky, space, etc.

I kept having these dreams where I would see this guy and we would talk about the weather, art, music, anything and he was quite nice and could make me laugh. He looked around my age, all black hair, warm brown eyes, tan, black clothes etc but he never gave me a name and I asked him but he always would say "I will tell you soon, til we meet again." Then other dreams he protected me from something etc. I am 27 by the way so I am young lol. And randomly when I am home alone I will smell roses where there are no roses or anything. So who does that sound like to you guys?

Comment

Working...
                              X