Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making pronouncable incantations from Rune names?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making pronouncable incantations from Rune names?

I had this thought a couple nights ago, and thought I'd run it by PF. A way to make pronouncable incantations out of the names of the Runes.

Basically, my thought was to simply string Rune names or parts of them together to make an incantation whose meaning is derived from the Runes used.

For instance, I thought that a good incantation for cleansing an area of inappropriate forces before a working might be "Kenizrai Wunjonau." Kenaz-Algiz-Raidho Wunjo-Nauthiz.

Kenaz - Establishment of some directed energy
    Algiz - Protection, shielding
    Raidho - Targeting the energy at the general area

Wunjo - The people gathered (Wunjo representing kin and clan)
    Nauthiz - "It needs to be done." Basically, Wunjonau is like "let it be done for the assembled folk."

I am not an active practitioner, for a few reasons, none of them very good, but anyway this thought came to me so I thought I'd throw it out here and see what you all think.

Hails,
    -Valhalla

Re: Making pronouncable incantations from Rune names?

Is there a formula you're using when choosing which part of the rune's name to use? Or are you just following intuition from case to case?

Comment

Originally posted by Raphaeline View Post
      Is there a formula you're using when choosing which part of the rune's name to use? Or are you just following intuition from case to case?
      Whatever seems most appropriate, but it can vary. Take Wunjonau. I wouldn't write "Wunauthiz," I would say that's equivalent. Because the Nauthiz part is not that important. Having all of Wunjo and just a bit of Nauthiz makes the emphasis on the folk-assembly. "The people here need this done." I'd say the second version sounds too desperate. Like "there is a great and desperate need of these people for this to be done."

I haven't tried this or anything, just throwing out the raw idea.

-Valhalla

Comment

Honestly I would just look into Old Norse, Old German or Old English. There's so much power behind the languages of our ancestors.

Comment

I galdr the rune names in conjunction with visualisation, so it seems counterproductive for me to combine them like this... simply because that's not the way that the runes and I work lol. Even with bindrunes I pronounce each rune name separately, though linked. For me the rune names are the incantation and there's no need to shorten them.

But if it makes your practice more meaningful and it seems to work then go for it.

Comment

Working...
          X