Ask a Lokean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ask a Lokean

So after debating upon it, I decided to try my hand at this. I decided to toss it in here because, uh, I guess it sort of fits under here? I'll try to answer anything but I may redirect you to stuff from more experienced Lokeans or people who know things better than I do.

So, throw it at me.
    Wild Witchy Dusk | TwitterMy Art Blog | My Deviantart

Re: Ask a Lokean

I guess I'll ask the obvious one. Why do you venerate Loki?

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow Wolf View Post
      I guess I'll ask the obvious one. Why do you venerate Loki?
      I could give you the short answer that answers nothing, like, I love him but here is the longer answer:

I've always been quite drawn to gods like Loki. I always believed that beings with a stigma attached to them weren't as bad as people believed or thought and that there was another side of the story other than the one we know. I also have a thing for Tricksters! I just find them interesting and I like their unpredictableness.

That's part of the reason, because I'm drawn to what and who he is. The other is because I'm a far more happier person than I was two years ago because of Loki. I've learned to live, laugh and let go and have begun to take a more honest look at myself and understand who I am.

Comment

Ooo, I have some questions I've wanted to ask a Lokean!

For starters, have you dealt with other beings that aren't big fans of Loki(Skadi, Thor, Heimdall...)? If so, how did you keep it from getting...messy.

How do you go about worship when there's not much evidence of veneration in the old days? Do folk magic practices play a part in what you do, or do you take a more modern approach?

Since you identify as NT, thoughts on Raven Kaldera?

While I agree that someone like Loki is more nuanced then people sometimes give him credit for, have there been negative aspects of having such a trickster in your life?

Do you even agree with identifying him as a trickster? I've run into some who dislike the term.
        Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Oh my god that's a lot of questions! Okay, um, let's try to answer the best I can.
          Originally posted by Dez View Post
          For starters, have you dealt with other beings that aren't big fans of Loki(Skadi, Thor, Heimdall...)? If so, how did you keep it from getting...messy.
          I dealt with Thor before but I'm slowly getting more into the pantheon. Though at the time I was dealing with Thor, I was dealing with Odin more than Loki but I did catch a glimpse of how the two didn't really like one another. I tried to keep their altars separate and figure out how I was going to work with them but it felt extremely weird venerating Odin, Thor AND Loki together that I kinda stopped before things got too messy. Two gods is hard enough, imagine three, ahaha. I guess when I run into Skadi or Heimdall (or even Thor again!), I'll be able to tell you, haha.[/quote]

How do you go about worship when there's not much evidence of veneration in the old days? Do folk magic practices play a part in what you do, or do you take a more modern approach?
          Actually this question brings up something I got thinking about a few days ago! There's some folk practices that suggest some kind of veneration of Loki among the people and in modern day, Loki seems to take some interest in your personal life so when you look at it that way, things haven't entirely changed and truthfully, he kind of feels like a folk-like god most times than a Higher Power, as he's mostly chill though certainly he still is one to me.

But to finally answer your question, I want to say I take a more modern approach but the fact is, I offer incense, flame, things I think he will like (trinkets, food, sweets) and sometimes I will even create something for him, like a drawing (one of the drawings I made actually is on my altar! It's kind of like my alternative to a statue, hehe.) or a craft something for him. Alongside of that, I set aside Saturday as a Loki Day and try to keep him in mind or focus on him more on that day.

My method of worship is more or less trying to connect with him and do things that expresses my Love and adoration for him. Of course, it involves a lot more than that but quite a bit of it is personal work.

I don't know if that really answers your question if it's more modern or folk magic though!

Since you identify as NT, thoughts on Raven Kaldera?
          Neutrality. Ask me about Galina and I'll tell you the same thing: Neutrality. I don't particularly care for them but I don't have anything against them, either. The reason I identify as NT is because a) it's the closest term to describe my path and b) I basically do believe pretty much the same things as NT's do. I could use something without baggage but Lokean has baggage enough (:P) and Norse Pagan doesn't stick well for some reason.

While I agree that someone like Loki is more nuanced then people sometimes give him credit for, have there been negative aspects of having such a trickster in your life?
          Nope! If something bad happens, I don't really associate it with Loki but just with life or unwillingly dealing with the consequences of someone else's actions since I live under the same roof as them. :/ However, sometimes things go missing for no reason but that could just be me misplacing things or things getting hidden because my room isn't the cleanest, hah.

Do you even agree with identifying him as a trickster? I've run into some who dislike the term.
          Yes, I do agree with identifying him as a trickster even if he hardly shows up as a trickster to me. Though, he does give me trickster vibes. I can't really reason why this is, he just does. :P

Comment

Loki being a trickster from what I can gather... does he use trickster qualities to protect you from situations unfavorable? For instance if he was to stop a person from causing you harm either mentally or physically... would Loki make it appear to be more of a trickster outcome for the target person rather than blatant smite?
            My posts are generally sent from my cell fone. Please excuse my brevity, and spelling/grammar errors.

Comment

So, with Loki being both a trickster and sometimes "unstable" (not in a bad or good way), have you ever felt "threatened" by his presence? Like, if you say something wrong, or make a wrong move, he might play a trick on you?

Actually... now that I ask that, does he ever play tricks on your just to do so, even when you venerate him?

Comment

Originally posted by Auseklis View Post
                Loki being a trickster from what I can gather... does he use trickster qualities to protect you from situations unfavorable? For instance if he was to stop a person from causing you harm either mentally or physically... would Loki make it appear to be more of a trickster outcome for the target person rather than blatant smite?
                That's like asking a Christian if God loves you so much, wouldn't he protect you from everything? And the answer a Christian would give would probably be the same I'd give: No but that doesn't mean he doesn't care. Hypothetically, if someone meant to cause me harm mentally or physically, I would hope that Loki would help me out in some way. Would it be a trickster way? I honestly don't know. It could be. It could also be something happening at a very interesting timing, quite coincidental. Like say I ran into a big bushy man who intimidated the one who wanted to cause me harm, or if I managed to find a place in a crowd of people to hide into or find safety in.

If I was alone with them, at a house or something, I'd definitely be praying but also trying desperately to reach for 911 and the police in some way, some how.

But normally, I don't expect him to come in and target someone like a trickster just like that. I'm pretty sure any normal, everyday Christian doesn't expect God to come in and save them just like that, either, but the fact one survived from that harm might be proof to them that their god was still watching, you know?

I've been through a lot in my life, all because of one person. I lost a lot, like power, tv, phone and this person also mentally harms me and my mother, sometimes verbally. This person also digs me and my mother further into a hole because he is digging himself further into a hole.

It was hard to find light at the end of the tunnel when I lost much of my life, but I did try to turn to my gods, one of which was Loki. Loki is also what kind of brings me back into sanity when things get too much for me and when I end up falling into a distressed mess. He's kind of one of the things that keeps me going. The other thing is also my own inner strength. I am Titanium. You can shoot me down but I'll get back up.

It's not protecting me from unfavorable situations but it is about motivating me, inspiring me and bringing me back to some sense of sanity and calm when something happens. Doing so kind of helps me recognize that I'm a bit more invincible mentally and emotionally than I lead myself to think and once that is recognized, I can kind of begin to deal with things better and start returning to myself.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Unus Mundus View Post
                So, with Loki being both a trickster and sometimes "unstable" (not in a bad or good way), have you ever felt "threatened" by his presence? Like, if you say something wrong, or make a wrong move, he might play a trick on you?
                Nope, never! Truth be told, I feel more that way about Odin than I do with Loki. Loki was/is pretty persistent in trying to get me to trust him. A lot, might I add. I place quite a bit of trust in Loki and really don't believe he will do too much that I can't handle. I know someone will look at it like he is deceiving me and I can't tell you if he is or not, as I honestly don't know. Sometimes I think about it but I shrug it off because let's say he is, I could never really be angry at him for it because that deception helped me grow and become a happier person. That also calls to mind another question, would it even be deception then? Deception is usually known as a negative thing, so if deception brought out something positive, how is it deception? Hmm, even I don't know.

Actually... now that I ask that, does he ever play tricks on your just to do so, even when you venerate him?
                No. I actually got tricked by Odin, surprise surprise. Granted, Odin's trick was meant to teach me a lesson but Loki didn't have an involvement in it. It seemed more like he was just watching it and waiting for the moment to drag me out if things started to get too rough for me.

He's more prone to being persistent than pull tricks. If he does pull tricks, it's probably to get me to learn a lesson or get my attention.

Comment

Working...
                X