Tell me about Freyr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell me about Freyr

Just wanting to hear some personal experiences people have had with Him.

Re: Tell me about Freyr

To me Freyr is completely zoomorphic. The Great Wise Boar. Here.

When I think about who the god of my cats and geese and rabbits and dogs is, I think it's Freyr. He's (and Freyja) one of them. He fights at Ragnarok with antlers. He nurtures us as pets and is a warrior in the wild.

Comment

I associate Freyr primarily with grain, pork, and honey, but also with the harvest in general. My interest in him waxes and wanes, sometimes he's very regal, very much the generous king who leads a prosperous kingdom, and other times he dances in cemeteries as Lord of the Dead.

I also see him as a very queer deity. His priests cross-dressed, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there's a myth out there to explain it where he had to adopt a womanly guise for some purpose. I don't think many people associate him with seidr, but to me it makes sense that Freyja would have taught him, and there are some interesting associations made between male practitioners and transgressing gender roles.

Comment

He is very much the grain god to me...very "loud in my head" when I was first exploring him in the wide fields of wheat and potatoes of SE Idaho. Here, Njord and sometimes Freya are much louder, but that's hardly surprising. I do something special for him at Lammas(even though that's not a proper Norse holiday), and I don't feel him around much at all during the winter months when the grain is sleeping. I'm honestly wondering what my experience would be if I grew a pot of rye or barley on my patio. A lot of love, and definitely a sense of humor. There's also a very strong sexual aspect for me...he symbolizes male reproductive power in a way that's rather unique compared to the other gods.

You didn't ask about her, but Gerd is the dark earth to his light. She seems very tied to herbs and gardens, especially small spaces or container gardens versus the wealth of orchards and produce like Freya or the foods of the field like Frey. I find her caring and extremely pragmatic. Rather like a very wise mother dealing with an adult child.
        Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

This might seem like a strange question at first but how do you feel Him?

In my experiences individual deities have "calling cards." For example when I feel Dionysus it's an instant and unexpected high. Everything feels light and funny regardless of the actual circumstances of the moment. In contrast when Demeter decides to pop in the mood is much more composed and connecting.

Comment

Working...
          X