Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you worship one God more than any other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you worship one God more than any other?

Or do you worship them equally. Also, do you feel a particular draw to one or more?

Thanks

Algiz

Re: Do you worship one God more than any other?

Odin has been my "Ally" or patron deity for some time. I only worship him as of right now, its because he interests me greatly and he helps me in the departments of wisdom and clear thinking. I'd say me and him have reached buddy status.
    White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
    sigpic
    In Days of yore,
    From Britain's shore
    Wolfe the dauntless hero came
    And planted firm Britannia's flag
    On Canada's fair domain.
    Here may it wave,
    Our boast, our pride
    And joined in love together,
    The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
    The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

I feel most connected to Djehuty. But I also keep a good contact with Bast. Like Doc said, Djehuty and I feel very close- both of us have similar characteristics.
      "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by odinist View Post
        Or do you worship them equally.
        I don't worship them all equally at all. lol

I am sworn to Skuld, and so I honor Her the most. The other Nornir are a fairly close second, for obvious reasons. Otherwise I don't regularly honor anyone else, at least in the Northern pantheons. There are a few Demons who I work with on a regular basis.

Also, do you feel a particular draw to one or more?
        I tend to be drawn to Jotnar deities moreso than Aesir or Vanir. Skadhi (I know She counts as Asynjur but She also still counts as Jotnar) and Blodugadha (but not Her sisters) are two that are more at the fore than others. Oddly (or perhaps not so oddly) Frigg is up there also... the Nornir sent me to Her for lessons in getting my household straight... we're still working on that lol. I have a suspicion I'll be handed around Frigg's handmaidens as a part of this process.

The Vanir don't draw me at all and I have a subtle but active aversion towards a few of the Aesir deities. Interestingly, most of the male deities that I work with are Demons, not of the Northern pantheons.

Comment

Or do you worship them equally. Also, do you feel a particular draw to one or more?

Thanks

Algiz
          I have felt a very strong draw to Hedone, Selene and Helios for a long time.
          I am a woman in a mans body and I hate being in the wrong body. I want out of this body. It's like a prison cell.

I used to be known as AdamKane in these parts.

Hail Satan.

Comment

The only Nordic god / goddess who ever spoke to me was Freyja I think it was when I was stationed in Scotland back in the late 70's. I say think it was her for I never really could prove it and it only lasted for a short time, say 6 months. Just a beautiful women with radiant golden colored hair and an aura that just shimmered about her.
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Or do you worship them equally.
              I worship Loki and Odin, well, more accurately I worship Loki and honor Odin. I try to do things equally for them (set aside a day for each of them, f'ex) but it doesn't always work, haha.

Also, do you feel a particular draw to one or more?
              Truth be told, I feel a little more drawn to the Jotnar (and more drawn to anyone of Loki's family. :y) than the Aesir but, due to how Odin is one of my gods, there is a slight draw in that direction, too. Fun times! Not really. I honestly prefer just nodding in the Aesir's direction because holy crap so many gods nope.

(And they're kinda... asses in the Eddas so that sort of affects my interest a little. cough)
              Wild Witchy Dusk | TwitterMy Art Blog | My Deviantart

Comment

Ullr is my hunting companion and ally. I often make offerings to him in preparation for hunt. Also, being in college, I look to Odin quite a bit. I find his sacrifices during his quest for knowledge inspiring. He reminds me that staying up an extra hour to study for a test is nothing compared to losing an eye or hanging on tree for nine days.

I also offer a portion of my kills to Skadi, since I love winter and darkness. Is it bad that I find her a bit attractive? being a giantess and all lol.

Comment

I dont feel drawn to any individual entity at present (despite my sympathy for Loki and the forces that directed him), but I have done the rounds of various pantheons over the years. I have not been shy in assisting and using any spirit that has been able to contribute to my development and understanding if the world, or who I have just been drawn to.
                  Aesir/Vanir/Greek deities/ ancestors/demons/spirits all have had to put up with me in the past.

At the moment I feel like I am waiting for something.I could be more proactive and try to find out what, but I've done the chasing around and summoning thing, if something wants to chat then it can make the first move this time....

Comment

If I gave each deity in existance just 10 minutes of my spare time, I'm quite sure I'll be dead before I've had time to worship them all, so no, I most certainly don't worship them all. I think some might even demand that I worship them to the exclusion of all others, so it's probably not even possible. Not that I'm a stranger to taking on impossible tasks. I love a challenge. Still, it just isn't for me. I'm happy just having a small number of deites I have devoted myself to. Right now, There are only 2 that I actively worship on a daily basis, and several more that I acknowledge, all of which are Celtic deities with evidence of worship in my local area, or at least no further south than West Yorkshire. I've also started to place a larger emphasis on other spirits that some faiths would maybe consider lesser deities, while others would categorise them differently, maybe as nature spirits or whatever. I'm not too bothered what they're called, just that they are there.

For now, this seems to be just right for me. It wasn't something I chose, but rather how things just turned out. When I actively chose my path, I worked mainly with Egyptian deities, but I was gradually drawn away from them and in their place, found (or was found by?) deities with whom I had a much deeper connection. I'm perfectly happy with that!
                    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I'm assuming that you are asking about a single deity or all deities in our pantheon of choice because that's the only logical way to go about this.

No, I've considered myself henotheistic for a long time now. I almost exclusively worship Dionysus, but I keep shrines to Apollo, Artemis, Zeus, Aphrodite, Hestia, Hera, Demeter, Persephone and the ancestors. Albeit some of the shrines see more offerings than others but that is mostly dependent on the season.

As far as I can tell nearly every polytheist evolves into a henotheist at some point in their life. When I first became a Hellene I felt like I had to show my gratitude to each deity or I was being rude. I quickly found out that being a Jack-of-all-Gods is so unrewarding.

If I had read my history books more closely I would have skipped that stressful phase. Even in ancient times people did not try to worship every deity. Typically, families focused on worshiping tutelary deities (ancestors and other gods of the home). Actions and places specific to an actual pan(insert culture) deity were rarely used.

However, modern times and modern paganism tend to pamper to the individual rather than the historical faith. This is why you see people who exclusively worship deity and leave out all tutelary gods. Also, this is why you see some Heathens who believe when you die you go to the hall of you patron. Neither of those two things have any historical backing. Even dedicated priests asked their ancestors and tutelary gods before asking a pan(insert culture) god.

Comment

Thor. Being in combat I became very close with him and that closeness has carried over from my Navy days to my weight training. I find him very helpful in my quest for more and more physical strength.

I do pay my respects to the other Gods but Thor is my 'got to" if you must.

Comment

For me it's Odin. Thor is always in my mind our around me. Odin was the force that drew me to this path originally and it is in his honor that I try to live my life.

Comment

At this point in time I only worship Anubis aka Anpu. I know there are other egyptian deities, but I am very close to Anubis because he came to me in a bad point in my life.
                            Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I definitely worship Freyr and Freyja more than any other Gods.

Comment

Working...
                              X