Favorite Viking Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite Viking Movies

Since the subject of movies with a Northern theme has come up, name some if your favorites... if you can, include enough info so the movie can be found by others.

Here are a few of mine:

The Vikings (1958) starring Kirk Douglas, Tony Curtis, Ernest Borgnine, Janet Leigh. This is the Viking movie that all Viking movies are compared against. Maybe a 5.5-6.5 of 10 on historical accuracy. Re-telling of Ragnar Loddsbrokk... sort of... Available in its entirety on YouTube.

The Long Ships (1964) starring Richard Widmark and Sidney Poitier. My favorite. A cheesy, fanciful adventure. Maybe a 1.5-2 historical accuracy. Vikings versus Moors as they all search for a legendary golden bell. Available on YouTube.

Thirteenth Warrior (1999) starring Antonio Bandares. Vikings versus Neanderthals in a re-telling of Beowulf. Maybe 6.5-7 historical accuracy.

- - - Updated - - -

A couple more...

Pathfinder (1987) No, not that horrible one, this is a Norwegian production of a Finnish legend. Lots of Finnish humanism. Maybe 8-8.5 historical accuracy. English subtitles.

Beowulf and Grendel (2005) starring Gerard Butler. Another re-telling of the Beowulf legend. Very human in it's telling: the heroes aren't so heroic, the monster isn't so monstrous. My favorite version of Beowulf. Maybe 8.5 historical accuracy.
    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
    Tribe of my Tribe
    Clan of my Clan
    Kin of my Kin
    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Re: Favorite Viking Movies

I love The 13th Warrior with Anotonio Banderas playing an Arab. Yeah I know. But hear me out. The movie can be watched over and over. Little dialog. Nice scenery. Scruffy men. Swords. Myths. It's a movie I call my comfort movie. When I can't sleep, I just put this on and I veg out.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

"Is there a cave?"

13th Warrior is great.Total cheese fest at times, but one of the few movies I can re-watch.
      I would loved to have seen a prequel movie with the vikings previous adventures.
      The setting is lovely too,lovely little village. I love round houses and long houses

The Vikings is a fun old movie, Kirk Douglas is always fun.
      The Long ships, loved it when I was a child.

Comment

Found this site, lists Viking movies back to 1928, gives synopses for most of them. It's pretty thorough.
        I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
        Tribe of my Tribe
        Clan of my Clan
        Kin of my Kin
        Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,

Comment

Just watched The Viking (1928), available in full on YouTube. It's based very loosely on Leaf Ericsson's journey to North America. Erik the Red's statue of Thor alone is worth the watch. It's pretty cheesy... aw, who am I kidding, I loved it! Almost all the Vikings have horned helmets, and one guy's looks like he just came from Fred Flintstone's lodge meeting. It's silent (music and battle sound effects dubbed over), but it's in color. Two enthusiastic thumbs up!

Blood and Country
          Tribe of my Tribe
          Clan of my Clan
          Kin of my Kin
          Blood of my Blood

Comment

Oh oh. Pathfinder with Karl Urban. Not much dialog. But a very interesting movie of Vikings and Native Americans. Plus, you know. Karl Urban!
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Mine are Pathfinder (yes the terrible one), purely because of a topless Karl Urban...

And Outlander... I confess I'm a Jim Caviezal fan. Plus amazingly cool alien creatures and Vikings in the same film... who can beat that? lol

Obviously historical accuracy is not that much of priority for me... at least not stacked up against a few buff hotties.

Comment

Working...
              X