Dream Interpretation: Tips, Pitfalls, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dream Interpretation: Tips, Pitfalls, etc

In light of recent developments along my spiritual path, I find myself dreaming--and remembering dreams--more often. This is rather unusual for me, and many of the dreams have contained messages, warnings, etc. relevant to my life.

But just as every crow or unfortunate accident isn't an omen from a deity, I can't help but think that not every dream has any meaning relevant to daily life.

What are some pitfalls when it comes to dream interpretation? Any suggestions on sorting through dreams that might be relevant to a current or future situation vs those that are just random brain blips?

So far, I've noticed that the dreams I remember most vividly, and whose meaning jumps out at me almost immediately, are those that seem to be the most relevant.
    Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Re: Dream Interpretation: Tips, Pitfalls, etc

My opinion on this is that all dreams are relevant and that, therefore, it's best to look for the dreams that reveal hidden knowledge rather than those that tell us what we already know. I might, for instance, dream about grasshoppers (often a symbol for moving forward quickly and/or dramatically) as my brain's response to having made a commitment to a new project that day. If I already know I've made that commitment, then I can assume my brain is just processing the events of the day. But if I dream of grasshoppers when my life has been really dull and when I've been wondering how to break out of a rut, I want to follow the grasshoppers the next time I dream of them and notice any elements that accompany them (colors, noises, other animals, etc.).

If you want to figure out which dreams are lucid, they are (if I understand correctly) those in which you can interact directly with parts of the dream rather than being a passive observer or participant. People often report the feeling of falling into lucid dreams (often from non-lucid dreams), but this isn't universal.

I've also asked spirit guides (especially those involved with dreaming, like Morpheus) to help me to know about important dreams; they can often help in such cases too. And, if you think you just dream too often (picking up on others' dreams, over-processing events, etc.), you can ask a deity of rest and/or healing (like Asclepius, for instance) to help you not over-dream - or you might consider the limited use of a dreamcatcher or similar device, but only while you're learning to interact with your dreams and not as a permanent measure.
    OO

Book of Spirals is my author site.
    The Sentient Hillside is my blog.
    Spiral Tree is an ezine for pagans I co-founded.

Comment

I find dream interpretations can be very literal, and sometimes when we look to books ect for meaning we can be given the wrong answer. Especially if you travel when you dream.

Comment

I've been having several weird recurring dreams that have felt important and I've wondered what the hell they've meant.

I'm terrible at dream interpretation though :P
        hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

The biggest problem that you'll run into when dealing with dream interpretation (since you asked for pitfalls as well) is that different symbols are going to mean different things to different people.

Like for example, a snake. Some view it as an ill omen because of the symbolism in the bible about the snake bringing Eve the apple. However-other cultures view the snake as a symbol of fertility, rebirth, immortality, and healing. Others see it as a guardian, while others have it represent vengefulness and vindictiveness.

So "going by the book" so to speak on what each thing means is going to be difficult to pin point if you're trying to do so for someone other than yourself-or even just on your own if you think something might mean different things depending on what way they show up in your dream.
          Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
          Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Yorin View Post
            The biggest problem that you'll run into when dealing with dream interpretation (since you asked for pitfalls as well) is that different symbols are going to mean different things to different people.
            Couldn't agree with this more. This is why I don't usually recommend dream dictionaries or similar. I mean, if you're completely lost on a particular dream, sometimes they can help get you thinking about them - as well as discussing it with other people, that can sometimes help too... but really, it's usually best to sit down and think about what particular symbols, events, etc. actually mean to you.

As for which dreams are relevant? I think they all have some relevance to our day to day lives... but that doesn't necessarily mean they're all of the same significance, if that makes sense. I find that the dreams that end up holding some sort of importance, or some message to focus on, are the more vivid dreams (bright, striking, but not necessarily super detailed or realistic), the ones that really stick in my mind through the day. Like symbolism though, I suspect there are probably different tells for different people.
            Hearth and Hedge

Comment

For me I find dream interpretation to be difficult because a lot of what people trigger on many times is of lessor importance than what they feel. Yet they record the images but not the way it made them feel. So the structure becomes imposing or whatever yet what they felt was a sense of serenity by being near it for instance. They become focused upon in your face things and the subtle things go un-noticed though many times they are the point of what is occurring and reveal the many subtle things that are coming together to make it come to pass.

The other aspect is that symbology of a dream is seldom universal but everyone (collective usage) tries to use some universal meaning of what it is supposed to represent. It's like for me many of my dreams have a nautical aspect to them which suggests one thing but ignores the fact I spent 23 years in the Navy so nautical is a default comparison that my logical mind understands. I am very nature oriented so that aspect to often influences my dreams and the symbology is changed to that format. The last aspect that comes into play is our own fantasy inner world of the mind where we create many of our realities. So many times that world causes us to change things into what might be seen as a surreal world setting but the base element are already things we've created and placed.

But the most difficult thing is that many people will not admit the truth even when it is presented to them. The usage of self denial is a safety net that is employed during waking hours but is shredded during dream time but usually takes a really horrific appearance as the mind still tries to refuse and protect the self.
              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I find it most useful to interpret repeating dreams, or repeating motifs in dreams, rather than individual dreams. that way it wasn't shaped by, for example, a show you watched. if it appears more than once, there is some meaning behind it

Comment

Originally posted by alternatingSelves View Post
                  I find it most useful to interpret repeating dreams, or repeating motifs in dreams, rather than individual dreams. that way it wasn't shaped by, for example, a show you watched. if it appears more than once, there is some meaning behind it
                  curious-- If I started a spin off thread would you be interested in reading some of my repeating/reoccuring dreams? I have no clue what they are about
                  hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

I have had a "mystery woman" appear in my dreams for the past few years. She always wears the same colors and when I dream about her it is like she is protecting me. It has drove me nuts trying to figure out who she is and why I dream about her. Interpreting dreams is not a gift of mine.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Satu View Post
                      In light of recent developments along my spiritual path, I find myself dreaming--and remembering dreams--more often. This is rather unusual for me, and many of the dreams have contained messages, warnings, etc. relevant to my life.

But just as every crow or unfortunate accident isn't an omen from a deity, I can't help but think that not every dream has any meaning relevant to daily life.

What are some pitfalls when it comes to dream interpretation? Any suggestions on sorting through dreams that might be relevant to a current or future situation vs those that are just random brain blips?
                      So far, I've noticed that the dreams I remember most vividly, and whose meaning jumps out at me almost immediately, are those that seem to be the most relevant.
                      More often than not I am inclined to agree with the sentiment that 'not every dream is wildly significant.' The brain simply cannot shut itself off so I am much more inclined to believe that probably half of what we dream is simply 'mental filing' as your noggin sorts some things out.

This is a slice of personal philosophy that is unpopular around these parts, but I think the first pitfall is to attribute any meaning to a dream that did not feel meaningful. If your dreams have a message to tell you, you'll FEEL it. You'll remember that dream more vividly. Trying to pick apart a dream where you were flying but only if you could frog kick through the sky, well, don't go an immediately start looking up frogs unless it was particularly important to the story. Some of this, science would suggest, is really just your brain doing some paperwork.

A second pitfall I would guard against, which will sound like talking out of both sides of my mouth, is to ignore dreams that are somewhat less vivid only because they are less vivid. I always try to go with feelings instead of particular memories or images. Did you feel anxious? Loved? Happy? Lonely? Those are important, sometimes more important, than the imagery itself.

Third pitfall is to simply google "dream interpretation" and mindlessly gobble up things you read. Only YOU can interpret your dreams, other people can give you suggestions but all of dream interpretation is subjective and therefore, if you're interested in getting something out of your dreams it's good to do lots of research regarding symbolism, history, and the occult.
                      No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

I have different dreams theres once that are "real" i can just tell i know im awake iin my dreamland. I can typicaly control what i dream about at that point and i enjoy playing around and i start flying no destination ever im so excited i never want it to stop. But there will be times when the events in the dreams stop happening how i was imagining.... when i hit the whats going on point i take notice to those images and i remember them clearly when i awake. After waking i feel exhausted if possible i fall back asleep after writting my dreams down. I use the dream dictionarys as ideas and write them down with the dream and go back and reflect on it after a period of time

Comment

Originally posted by Satu View Post

There is no specific formula of how to determine if it's just a dream or something beyond. You understand it as the experience grows. My advice is to write down the dreams, and compare them to the things that occur during the day, week, month that come next.

It happened that I had one dream several times with a big period of time between them. It only means the history is to repeat itself. History always repeats itself in some ways.
                          I hope it helped.
                          "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Working...
                          X