Natural History Art

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Natural History Art

So...it will come as no surprise to those that know me, with my love of biology, the ocean, steampunk, etc...that I love natural history prints, botanical drawings, etc.

Especially Haeckel's drawings. My dream study has Haeckel wallpaper (they don't make Haeckel wallpaper that I've found, but there is a company that makes Heckel printed fabric, including canvas).

But sadly...I lack the skill and the time to try to learn how to do that sort of detailed artwork, even if I thought I could learn (it wouldn't even have to be half as good to still be decent enough for my needs)...but I digress.

I came across this fabulous modern take on natural history artwork, which is based on goyotaky (Japanese fish printing), which I wanted to share... http://inkedanimal.com/

It will come as no surprise to Corbin, but Horseshoe Crab #5 is one of my favorites.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Natural History Art

I am completely fascinated by Haeckel's work - every one a masterpiece. That type of art is what got me interested in vintage prints.

I gotta few things in my private collection I should show you...

You're one of the few people I know who would appreciate the amazing beauty of vintage prints of slime mold.

And the pseudo-crab is elegant.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I've actually considered some of his work as tattoo pieces before...

I love botanical/old style victorian life drawings.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
        I've actually considered some of his work as tattoo pieces before...
        Me too!!

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
        You're one of the few people I know who would appreciate the amazing beauty of vintage prints of slime mold.
        Yes, yes I would!

I have a book on the history of herbarium specimen, and it seems that, in the Victorian era, using plants and algae themselves, and then drying them in different arrangements and maybe adding some drawing or painting was its own form of acceptable art.

Like...drawing a vase, but making the flowers actual dried flowers.

Which actually sounds fun.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Well, here they are...

420931.jpg

420933.jpg

420934.jpg
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I may not have any particular fascination for them, but I can recognize good art when I see it. I love how these are essentially technical drawings, but the artist still focused so much on composition and the use of the color palette to accentuate the focal point. Like that subtle blue light on the egg painting. Totally unnecessary to show the subject, but artistically brilliant, forcing perspective and making your eyes move over the whole work.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I just looked at inked animal and now I'm intrigued. Might give me more excuses to have all my animal bones in my creepy collection....

Comment

Working...
            X