Masks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Masks

Anyone in the Heathen community every make one and why? I am making one out of paper machete an I am not sure why I felt I should do so. Not much out there on it.

Re: Masks

Seems I recall a case or two of a funeral mask, but that's off the top of my head; otherwise, I got nothin'...
    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
    Tribe of my Tribe
    Clan of my Clan
    Kin of my Kin
    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
      Anyone in the Heathen community every make one and why? I am making one out of paper machete an I am not sure why I felt I should do so. Not much out there on it.
      I haven't personally... but I just got a terrible image of you wearing a giant paper machete/knife on your face....

I have read of mask-making though. Especially in relation to oracular work and deity horsing in the NT circles. Is there a particular subject or theme that you're getting pinged on?

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
        I haven't personally... but I just got a terrible image of you wearing a giant paper machete/knife on your face....

I have read of mask-making though. Especially in relation to oracular work and deity horsing in the NT circles. Is there a particular subject or theme that you're getting pinged on?
        I have been getting the idea to make one since September though there is nothing concrete coming through other wise. I think since it's gotten intense if might be Holda/ Wild Hunt related? I imagine doing the mask in white and blue? Putting runes on it. I know Nerthus and Njorun both cover their faces but it's not related to them. And I am making something pretty not Krumpus like. I want to put horse hair on it though I don't have any. It's just one of those follow your gut things I can't put my finger on.

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
          I have been getting the idea to make one since September though there is nothing concrete coming through other wise. I think since it's gotten intense if might be Holda/ Wild Hunt related? I imagine doing the mask in white and blue? Putting runes on it. I know Nerthus and Njorun both cover their faces but it's not related to them. And I am making something pretty not Krumpus like. I want to put horse hair on it though I don't have any. It's just one of those follow your gut things I can't put my finger on.
          You should be able to buy horsehair fairly easily online, as it's used for lots of different craft applications.

I had a look in my books for you...

Kaldera and Krasskova talk about a fringed mask or cap - a cap with long fringe that hangs down all around with jingly bits at the ends. They use it for promoting an altered state for divination. Other than that the only mention in the Heathen books I have is in relation to Nerthus.

I suspect that ritual masks in general are more a shamanic thing than a Heathen thing, hence the inclusion in NT circles. There are multiple references and multiple designs in my shamanism books, and to me, masks feel like a ritual, altered state thing... block distractions, sensory deprivation and/or helping with ritual mindset.

White and blue makes me think of Frigg, but I think that's only because I'm currently doing some work with Her and so that's a current association I have with those colours. I don't know what your deity-relationships are like, but is it possible to ask certain deities about it? I imagine the Freyja would know if there's a correlation with seidhr and/or divination. From memory I've read of someone using a special mask in work with Mimir, though I can't find which book it was in. Pretty versus purely functional could be significant, though I'm not sure how; and horsehair... well that could relate to anything. Horsehair was used in Europe for everything from flags to helmets to woven items.

Comment

Thanks it's kinda driving me crazy. I wouldn't be surprised to find it's for focus. I can but I always seem to hit wall or can't let go the last bit. I have all the layers done and I will go get paint and stuff to finish this weekend. The big craft store may have horse hair there. I will post a pic when I get it done.

Comment

I would say that masks are fairly important to the religious drama of heathenry. For starters, the Wild Hunt and Phantom Army (and even berserkers) are theorized to have been spawned by an older warrior cult that would don masks in the winter season in a ritualistic dramatization of man and beast, victory and defeat, death and rebirth.

Secondly, the Perchta festival in Salzburg still utilizes masks in its winter celebrations. Again, its a motif of man and beast, the wilds and civilization, death and rebirth. I know that you're already familiar with a lot of Germanic goddess lore, too.

Comment

If you want something circa 12,000 years old, try googling an image of the sorcerer in Les Trois Freres cave in France. Sheer magic - and yes, masks seem to have been used quite often in paleolithic times.
                www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I have seen animal masks used or referred too I guess I am not sure what the specific draw to make it is and I will have to wait until it's done and I put it on I guess. It's one of those things that I think if I read about it I will get a oh yeah that it moment and it's not happening, lol. Guess I shouldn't have expected it to come easy.

Comment

So this is it basically for now. I am going to do some mediation to see what else might need to go on. Runes and I still want horse hair. It's not as pretty as I wanted but I am not too crafty.

Comment

It looks great so far, Ula!

It also looks vaguely familiar to me... but I can't put my finger on it. Something about the nose and eyebrow configuration...

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                        It looks great so far, Ula!

It also looks vaguely familiar to me... but I can't put my finger on it. Something about the nose and eyebrow configuration...
                        I was thinking that!!! I hope it's not just a pop culture reference we're thinking of.... :S
                        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                        Seen the desert and the birds
                        You cut your hair short
                        Like a shush to an insult
                        The world had been yelling
                        Since the day you were born
                        Revolting with anger
                        While it smiled like it was cute
                        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

images-62.jpeg

I must say, the first thing came to my mind was that movie The Mask... just sayin'...
                          Attached Files
                          I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
                          Tribe of my Tribe
                          Clan of my Clan
                          Kin of my Kin
                          Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                          And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]2729[/ATTACH]

I must say, the first thing came to my mind was that movie The Mask... just sayin'...
                            Ugh no. I hate that movie! lmao.

Nope, it's definitely something about the configuration of the three lines on the face. Otherwise I'd have said a helmet with a noseguard.

Comment

I really wanted the eyebrow ribbon to curve like a brow but couldn't get it to do it. I am going to consecrate and try it on this weekend and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X