This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spirits

So... question for the Agnostics and Atheists, because this is something that I've always wondered about.

We know your views on The Divine/God/Whatever. But what about spirits? Common, run of the mill, spirits? Yes? No? Only some of them? Do you consider them a part of the unknowable or non-existent divine, or as something separate? What about the human spirit?

Obviously, animism is a large part of my own practice, but there are a great many people who don't identify as animists who still believe in certain types of spirits. Where do you guys fall?

Re: Spirits

I'm honestly not sure. I believe that they exist in the sense that they can be communicated with and interacted with, but I've got no idea to what extent they have their own individual awareness and existence, as opposed to just being expressions of a wider universal consciousness or psychologically constructed personifications of natural forces.

Comment

I've had experiences in my life that lead me to believe that "ghosts" are a real thing. I think that they are absolutely a natural phenomena, one that we are already well on our way to explaining. I just think neurology and physics offer more reasonable explanations than the wayward souls of the dearly departed.

Objects and places evoke a feeling unique to themselves, home feels like "home" and Seattle feels like "Seattle," but I think that that has a lot more to do with us than them. We are a lot more perceptive than most of us give ourselves credit for, and we do most of our thinking subconsciously.

The world within us and around us still has many mysteries, there is still much for us to learn and explore.
      Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Personally, I don't believe that they exist.
        "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Nope. I believe in the possibility and impossibility of everything but am not inclined to believe in any entity that we cannot prove. Gods, spirits, fairies, ghosts, will o the wisps, unicorns, centaurs, basilisks, etc. It's all mythology and the stuff of fairy tales.
          No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

My house borders on the Huron National Forest. Step off my property, and you are surrounded by nearly 100,000 acres of wild lands.

I spend a lot of time out there, at night, alone, with only the 'coons, and bears for company.

Based on the evidence of my senses, there are things out there that are neither critters nor humans.

I don't pretend to know what they are, but, what I can say for sure is this - if you intend to be out there, alone, in the dark, you'd better learn how to deal with them, whatever they are, or they will drive you mad.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
              My house borders on the Huron National Forest. Step off my property, and you are surrounded by nearly 100,000 acres of wild lands.

I spend a lot of time out there, at night, alone, with only the 'coons, and bears for company.

Based on the evidence of my senses, there are things out there that are neither critters nor humans.

I don't pretend to know what they are, but, what I can say for sure is this - if you intend to be out there, alone, in the dark, you'd better learn how to deal with them, whatever they are, or they will drive you mad.
              That matches parts of the George Washington National Forest that surrounds us where I live. There's roads that cross it but there's a lot of forest out there and things that move through it. They used to say there were no more mountain lions over here then we started getting reports of them. Saw one early one morning myself. Been walking many a trail and I can tell you not all the tracks I found were things known to this area. At night sometimes you just stay indoors, especially when the dogs are cowering and whimpering about what ever is moving up in the high fields.
              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
              X