Using pentagram as a part of your rituals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using pentagram as a part of your rituals

So as the title says - does anybody use a pentagram as a part of your ceremony, ritual? If yes, for what purpose?

I have made one from a thread and a little circle copper piece. It made me to succeed in everything for the time of its being with me.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Re: Using pentagram as a part of your rituals

I think you are talking about a pentacle, not a pentagram. A pentagram is just the name of the star shape. A pentacle is a disk or similar with a pentagram on it, used often to represent the earth element in traditional Wicca and in a lot of ceremonial magic traditions.

I use it as a meditation tool, to represent all five elements which to me are symbolic of different qualities that when balanced into yourself, create harmony.

Now, what's below is purely my construct gleaned from a wide variety of sources. YMMV.

Earth = physical body, stability, realism
    Air = intellect, creativity, quickness
    Fire = passion, power, drive
    Water = emotion, creation and the cradle of life
    Spirit = pure energy, that which transcends the physical world

I see the circle encompassing the star as the "whole" that contains all these things. It's a symbol of a complete person, of a god, of all that is.

It's a pretty heavy symbol to me....I have one tattooed on my body, so I never forget.

Comment

I don't physically use one but I cast it mentally as a heavy duty protection

works well

Comment

tumblr_mzf2oeoqjQ1sk0dt3o1_500.jpg

Something I found a while back if you're wanting to use a pentagram/pentacle in your works that can be used as a handy reference guide/reminder
        Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
        Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
        sigpic

Comment

I do indeed have and use a ritual pentacle, which I made about eleven years ago. It is a wooden disc painted black with a silver pentagram and several other symbols drawn in red. As in Wicca it is the elemental tool of Earth on my altar; I use it to call and consecrate Earth when I cast the Circle, and as a surface on which to consecrate other tools and the ritual meal. I also have a tendency to place candles on it when I do candle magic.
          Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
          -Erik Erikson

Comment

The pentacle is a powerful symbol that can be incorporated into nearly any form of magic or ritual. As several have said it is representative of the 4 classical western elements, plus spirit/aether.

I have a pentacle necklace I used to never take off. Now I store it with my other things but I use it in most rituals. Most of the time the cord will be wrapped around something on ym altar. I do need to get or make something else though. Personally I like the way the pentacle looks also, and the way it feels, plus it makes me feel more witchy
            Circe

Comment

I no longer actively use it outside of a symbolic context. The pentagram I use is inverse.

Comment

I wear mine all the time. I guess it's part of that whole mundane/spiritual life being the one life thing.
                ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                Seen the desert and the birds
                You cut your hair short
                Like a shush to an insult
                The world had been yelling
                Since the day you were born
                Revolting with anger
                While it smiled like it was cute
                That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

It's very interesting! So I can use it when trying to contact a specific God or a group of Gods, and as a part of protection and meditation... I never thought about it in such a way.
                  Thanks everyone!
                  "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Im with Heka on this I wear mine all the time, during ritual work i usually have a candle for all 5 elements set in a pentacle formation.

Comment

Well, because my brand of magick is chaos magick, which espouses that it is truly the unconscious mind, or "will" reverberating back out into the cosmos to create physical change, and because it relies on chaotic forces which are by nature, random(though consistent), I use it basically as a tool.

By channeling the elements of the pentacle, to carry out my will, it is suggesting to my brain that A) the universe is going to take care of this and B)it is your true will, or the will of your true ego-less self(the sub-conscious) and because my sub-conscious brain assimilates and then my conscious brain forgets, my sub-conscious mind works it out on it's own, without my worrying or thinking about it, once it's done.

The ritual simply serves as a super catalyst for this change to occur. So, I use the pentacle in a creative and chaotic way, according to what the situation or circumstance calls for.

Comment

My rituals and spells tend to use a lot of visualization, so I'm not a big one for using a lot of tools. If I'm going very formal, I do have a silver pentacle necklace that I'll wear. If I'm going to grab a tool though, its most likely going to be my athame and quartz cystals.

Comment

Originally posted by Burning Shadow Alchemist View Post
                          Im with Heka on this I wear mine all the time, during ritual work i usually have a candle for all 5 elements set in a pentacle formation.
                          When you do that, do you light the candles a certain way? I.e. light them clockwise, extinguish them counterclockwise?

Comment

I got a question:

Do you go by any set order for the pentacle? I admit, I include lightning or thunder in my pentacle.

In fact, it never occurred to me to do otherwise. I read a lot about the 4 elements but not much mention of a 5th, so I just assumed the 5th would be thunder.

Anyone else use thunder/lightning? I always viewed the spirit to be the very center of the pentagram, and earth, wind, fire, water, and thunder flow around it. I see no real issue with this alteration myself.

Sometimes I draw the eye of Rah in the center, to signify wisdom as well. As if to say that wisdom and spirit are part of the same life-force/energy, which charges, or calls upon the other 5 elements, depending on how you look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by LuThorgh View Post
                              I got a question:

Do you go by any set order for the pentacle? I admit, I include lightning or thunder in my pentacle.

In fact, it never occurred to me to do otherwise. I read a lot about the 4 elements but not much mention of a 5th, so I just assumed the 5th would be thunder.

Anyone else use thunder/lightning? I always viewed the spirit to be the very center of the pentagram, and earth, wind, fire, water, and thunder flow around it. I see no real issue with this alteration myself.

Sometimes I draw the eye of Rah in the center, to signify wisdom as well. As if to say that wisdom and spirit are part of the same life-force/energy, which charges, or calls upon the other 5 elements, depending on how you look at it.
                              Personally, I use the order Yorin wrote on the first page. But it may change from user to user.

Comment

Working...
                              X