This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome rune source?

I'm looking for a site or a book (or a few, just not too much in case of conflict) that would have the most accurate information regarding the rune system and how it was used in Scandinavia. Must be Scandinavian, not Germanic or Anglo-Saxon. Also, sorry if this was posted before; I just don't really care to go a-hunting right now.

Re: Awesome rune source?

Best book I know of is "Taking up the runes" by Diana Paxson
    Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
    Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hekla View Post
      I'm looking for a site or a book (or a few, just not too much in case of conflict) that would have the most accurate information regarding the rune system and how it was used in Scandinavia. Must be Scandinavian, not Germanic or Anglo-Saxon. Also, sorry if this was posted before; I just don't really care to go a-hunting right now.
      You mean you want historical information? Esoteric rune books will be absolutely useless to you then. The only one I would consider would be Edred Thorsson's Runelore, though it's a general overview, not Scandinavian only.

Keep in mind that we have no historical evidence for runes as divination, only as an alphabet and for some presumably magicksl inscriptions (though even that is not known for certain... we don't know what they mean so we assume it's magickal).

Comment

Yeah, mostly historic, but a general overview would be fine as well. Just trying to up my understanding of them since the original book I bought a long while back (and sold) was shoddy at best.

Comment

Start with Thorsson then... but just that one book. That's his historical, semi academic book - the others are esoteric. From there head into academia proper if you want to dig further. It's a slog but it's far better than reading the history chapters in esoteric books. Most rune authors aren't overly concerned with accurate historical details and just regurgitate Thorsson anyway.

Comment

Alright thanks. I've actually decided that if I go back to school, I want it to be for study of ancient Nordic peoples, religion, and runes. But so far, I've only found a handful of courses and I can't really build the 'program' fully yet.

Comment

For a really good historical overview (discussing the rune poems of all the Germanic cultures and the historical significance of them) I'd also like to throw out Stephen Pollington's "Rudiments of Runelore." It's really short, only about 80 pages, but is a great scholarly introduction to the runes.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowan Wulfram View Post
                For a really good historical overview (discussing the rune poems of all the Germanic cultures and the historical significance of them) I'd also like to throw out Stephen Pollington's "Rudiments of Runelore." It's really short, only about 80 pages, but is a great scholarly introduction to the runes.
                I've heard good things about this one, and my copy just arrived in the post yesterday. I haven't read it yet, though.

Comment

Working...
                X