This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question About Celtic Deities

Hey guys! I've been reading about Celtic religion for a while now, less from a strictly recon viewpoint, but more from a historically influenced eclectic viewpoint, and I just have to ask- how exactly would someone who wants to honor the Celtic Gods choose which deities to honor? There seem to be so many of them, some even say hundreds, that it just seems like a daunting task.Sorry if my question is a bit ignorant, it's just a curiosity.

Re: Question About Celtic Deities

Okay, first, I'm not a Celtic polytheist, but your problem is common to a great deal of the polytheistic traditions.

In some cases, you'll be sought out by one or more deities. You should focus on those, and honor the others on Their special days (festivals, observances, etc). Not everyone gets thwapped like that, so don't worry if you don't.

One option is to look up a list of names of Celtic deities. Just slowly scroll through that list, noting the names that seem to jump out at you for whatever reason, even if it's just because the name sounds funny. Make a list of those names and refer back to it over the next few days. Research each deity on that list. Let His or Her myths roll through your head. Bit by bit, you'll probably feel like you resonate with some names more than others. You should start by honoring those deities.

Yet another option is to pick deities based on your career, hobbies, etc. For example, a healer or smith might reach out to Brigid.
    Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

Hi,

It will help if you pick a country perhaps? The term 'Celtic' itself is very broad, and there are 6 remaining countries or regions that you could use to narrow your focus. Ireland, Scotland, Brittany (in France), Wales, Isle of Man, and Cornwall. There's also Galicia (in Spain), which had strong Celtic roots.

If any of those strike you, you could start looking at Deity associated with that region in particular, and it'll limit cross-over which makes it quite confusing.

Hope that helps!

Lora O'Brien

Comment

For years I looked for the 'right' deities and never got anywhere. Once I relaxed and stopped worrying about it, they picked me.

Comment

As someone who practices Celtic polytheism, I think it is important for you to realize which Gods/essess have chosen you. c:
          For instance, since I was little, I've felt a connection to the earth, and mostly to wild things. I would get stirred up very easily, and I liked to pretend to be a big buck.
          Cernunnos is the God of all wild things and the forest, and is often depicted with stag horns. So I believe he chose me, rather than the other way around. Worshipping him was quite easy because it came instinctively. However, I had no idea who Cernunnos was until I did some research. I agree with Satu, research Celtic Gods and Goddesses until you find some that you instinctively relate to. I hope this helps!

Comment

Also a Celtic polytheist, I would say mine chose me, I just noticed them. I was reading "To walk a Pagan Path" By Albert someone (Can't remember his surname, apologies). He isn't a Celtic Pagan, but how he writes makes his 'rules' applicable to all branches. In one of the chapters, he suggests techniques to find your God/s/ess/es. The one I chose was to read about them, and any that jumped out at me, I wrote down and then looked at at a later date, and the ones that chose me/were chosen were the ones that I felt I could feel. For example, I follow Danu, Cernunnos and Cailleach. These were the three I could feel sort of standing behind me, and thus the three I connect with and work with.

Point being, lots of reading and searching!! But also what Carlin said, sometimes you don't need to be looking
            "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
            - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

Don't feel too pressured to narrow down! You're not in a hurry. Take your time and have fun exploring and getting to know all the gods of your tradition. There's no need to dedicate yourself right away, as that can be a pretty big deal. It may take years before one day you realize, "Hey, so-and-so and I have a pretty good relationship, don't we?" So don't feel frustrated if a god isn't "calling" you right away. It can be a very gradual process. I'm still in that stage myself and I've been on a pagan/ polytheistic track for a couple years now.

This article is spefically addressed to Heathens, but I think its main point is relevant to any polytheist: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/agora/2...-of-ourselves/

Good luck and take your time. Enjoy the journey!

Comment

I just read and really liked that article you just posted, Rowan. I am one of those polytheists that does have a patron(ess), be they plural or singular. Sometimes, in my more insecure moments, I feel a little lonely and left out of all of the discussions of such, and wonder what is wrong with me that in almost 30 years of worship I don't get picked like other people are? In my more confident moments, it bothers me not at all.

All of the advice on the thread is pretty sound ... choosing a land area first seems to resonate.

Comment

I believe in my gods because they believe in me.

And from time to time one of them introduces me to another. For example, a while back, just as my health was taking a real nosedive, I found Ullr coming into my life. Ullr, northern god of skis, archery, forests and all that. But why? To this day I'm not entirely certain, though I think it was his energy bolstering me as I began a difficult part of my life. He's not as prominent now though. I think I learned what he wanted to teach me and what I needed to know.

And sometimes that's just the way it is.

Good luck on your path!
                  www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Rhaethe View Post
                    I just read and really liked that article you just posted, Rowan. I am one of those polytheists that does not have a patron(ess), be they plural or singular. Sometimes, in my more insecure moments, I feel a little lonely and left out of all of the discussions of such, and wonder what is wrong with me that in almost 30 years of worship I don't get picked like other people are? In my more confident moments, it bothers me not at all.

All of the advice on the thread is pretty sound ... choosing a land area first seems to resonate.

I went back and re-read what I posted ... and I found it made a hell of a lot more sense if I actually edited in what I meant to say

Comment

I have always felt I have more of a connection with my Goddess then with my Gods. This could be from when I became a pagan and I subconsciously leaned more toward them to keep me as far from my christian roots as possible. I was a very angry 16 year old so it would make sense that my male pantheon would stand back and let me grow a little before introducing themselves.
                      From the time I started on my path Cerridwyn has called to me. She has guided me and sometimes shoved me when I am hard headed and don't want to listen. Queen Maeve and Brigid have also been pretty prominent for me.
                      Lugh was never scared of my anger though and has always stood by my side and reminded me that you cannot have one without the other. To be honest he is the only God I can remember having a name for. The rest come and go as they please and teach me or guide me in the way I need.
                      "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Working...
                      X