Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Praying for wealth and luck, but which deity should it be?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Praying for wealth and luck, but which deity should it be?

I always wondered are there any wealth or luck deities in Celtic mythology. I actually heard Cernunnos is a wealth god and is sometimes depicted carrying a bad of money. Are there any that you know of or pray to? If so, who are they?

Re: Praying for wealth and luck, but which deity should it be?

I find the idea of randomly approaching a deity you don't already have a relationship with to ask for stuff kind of rude

Comment

Misread the post, ignore this.
      Last edited by Quetzal; 20 Jun 2014, 10:06. Reason: fuck up
      Yikes, all that cultural appropriation that used to be here tho

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post
        I find the idea of randomly approaching a deity you don't already have a relationship with to ask for stuff kind of rude
        ok...and what makes you think I wouldn't develop a relationship with them first? Why do you think people pray in the first place. They usually ask for something even something simple. I didn't say I was just going to demand stuff from them, I just asked a simple question. I know that each pantheon tends to have a wealth and or luck deity and I heard Cernunnos happens to be one at least from what I heard and I just wanted to clarify the facts. So being rude isn't necessary.

Comment

Toutatis / Teutates is the Celtic god that comes to mind moreso than Cernunnos, for me, at least. Often seen as a god of war, financial gain, and commerce. Which, as one thinks about it, are all pretty well related. Not sure that luck figures in there, though. Romans identified him as both Mars and Mercury, if that helps, although there is very little historical evidence on what function he provided other than a tribal protector.

Comment

Before asking anyone for wealth, do make sure that you have read (and understood) the WW Jacobs' short story, 'The Monkey's Paw' first.
            Then just remember to be very careful what you ask or pray for because you might get it.
            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

As is often the case, words of serious wisdom from Tylluan.

Personally, I think our ancestors often had a different idea of wealth then we do now. Why else are most pantheons brimming with fertility gods and goddesses? Duplication of living things, having them grow up healthy, lots of food to eat, extra resources...those are wealth. Some of my best success when I felt poor and cornered has been to ask the Divine to help me see the opportunities I wasn't noticing.
              Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Working...
              X