This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comics and Super Powers

Well, comic books. They're a thing, let's talk about that. As well as the characters thereof as they appear in other media, and super powered shenanigans in general.

To start things off here is Spider-man doing something ridiculous, which I hope dearly will be in the next movie.

Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Re: Comics and Super Powers

If I had a superpower, I'd want flight. So I could crap on the state capitol whenever they did something I didn't like.

I fail to see why Superman doesn't do this like every friggin' day.

Comment

Just finished the first 12 issues of New 52's Wonder Woman. Man, that was awesome. Such a cool use (and design) of the Olympian gods, and Diana herself is such a total badass. Very different from the old Wonder Woman stuff, but as this was the first WW comic I've read, that didn't bother me. Can't wait to read more.

I have more comics than I know what to do with in my backlog at the moment, I dunno which of them to read next.
      Yikes, all that cultural appropriation that used to be here tho

Comment

I really like how they're treating Aquaman this time around. True to the character, without being too much of either nineties gritty Aquaman or seventies campy Aquaman. With plenty of nods to both I noticed.

I'm really interested in Wonder Woman's comics, but I'll probably check out Superman next. I heard they were doing some interesting things with him.
        Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

If I'm sticking to New 52 for now, I'll probably be sticking in and around the bat family for now (Batwoman (although I fell out with that series when JHWIII left due to higher ups sticking their noses in) and Nightwing, maybe Batgirl and Batman). I'll get around to Aquaman eventually as he's another that I've never read a single comic of. Literally everything I know of him comes from the animated shows and movies.

As for Supes, I got an older comic a while back that I haven't gotten around to yet, All-Star Superman I think. I watched the movie adaptation and loved it so much I immediately bought the dvd and comic.

What do you (anyone reading this who gives a rat's ass that is) think of the Man of Steel movie and the upcoming Superman vs Batman movie?
          Yikes, all that cultural appropriation that used to be here tho

Comment

Originally posted by Quetzal View Post
            What do you think of the Man of Steel movie
            Eh, it was alright. I didn't go into it expecting much, and found it to be entertaining. Lots of nitpicks I could make, and a few real stinkers, but for what it was it was pretty alright. It felt like they were going too fast and too big, like it was two or three movies at once when it should have picked one and stuck with it.

and the upcoming Superman vs Batman movie?
            Too soon, and it's probably going to be just like MoS. Trying to be too many things at once, and just trying too hard in general. It'll probably be pretty alright as well, it could just be so much better if they took their time and did it right.

Supes v Bats, however it's going to play out, needs to be built up to properly. You need a few movies worth of foreplay first before you go balls deep like that.

Comment

I am really enjoying the Arrow series at the moment. I was never really interested in Green Arrow as a character (in fact I always found him kinda lame) but he's been very well portrayed in the series, even if it is not 100% true to the comics. If I could be a comic character I would probably be Rogue from X-men or Black Canary.
              sigpic

Comment

Back in the 1980s I came across Green Arrow comics just as they were getting more mature content - he moved to Seattle and the superpowers were very much toned down. Mike Grell was the main writer then. I enjoyed them because I didn't want to read about men in tights fighting the villain of the week, and those stories had a bit more to them. I liked that version of Black Canary, too, without the stupid fishnet tights. So now I'm hugely enjoying the new Arrow series on TV (actually, I like Diggle best, for his rock solid integrity).
                I'm also a great fan of the Carol Danvers Captain Marvel series, to the extent that I made my own Captain Marvel top, with the eight pointed star. In my innocence, I'd thought that Marvel would sell such a thing - the character is named after the comic empire, after all - but no, and I was so annoyed when I couldn't find one to buy that I cut up a couple of long sleeved tshirts, added some yellow fabric from an old pashmina, and did it myself. The star's a bit wobbly, but I've already worn it to a Comic Con in London, and I have a picture of me posing with a girl dressed as the new Ms Marvel, which I thought was extremely cool!

Comment

Working...
                X