Greek vs Roman pantheons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greek vs Roman pantheons

[quote author=Agamemnon link=topic=902.msg16361#msg16361 date=1290490177]The big difference is that the Romans had GODS for everything where the Greeks had twelve GODS and a few minor GODS.[/quote]

Gotta disagree here. The Greeks have a lot of gods. A quick glance at httrp://www.theoi.com will show that. They might not have quite the same number of gods for unimaginitively specific things (I've read somewhere that there are multiple Roman deities to do with doors- one specifically of the hinges, one of the latches, one of door locks...then there is, of course, Ianus.) but there are a whole lot more than twelve- just counting the Muses alone, there are between nine and twenty-one, depending on who you ask.

There are the twelve "main" Olympians...but those don't even account for all of the Olympian gods, never mind all the rest.
    Memories of Pain and Light: http://painandlight.wordpress.com

"Hey love, I am a constant satellite of your blazing sun; my love, I obey your law of gravity, this is the fate you've carved on me, the law of gravity..." -Vienna Teng, Gravity

Re: Greek vs Roman pantheons

I could be wrong, but the greeks did not have as many GODS as the Romans. Did you have a question?
    SPQR

Comment

[quote author=Agamemnon link=topic=902.msg17732#msg17732 date=1290835710]
      I could be wrong, but the greeks did not have as many GODS as the Romans. Did you have a question?
      [/quote]

I was simply disagreeing with your statement that the, as you put it, "Greeks had twelve GODS and a few minor GODS"

If it were possible to conduct a census of the gods, I am certain that you would find that the Romans had a fair few more gods in sheer number than the Greeks. However, that does not change the fact that the Greeks still had far more than "twelve gods and a few minor gods"- I don't even know what you mean by that, gods are gods. Some are more prominent and powerful than the rest, but they're still gods.

No, I don't have a question. But if I did, I have other preferred sources where I would go. I was unaware that a question was required of me to participate in discussion.

"Hey love, I am a constant satellite of your blazing sun; my love, I obey your law of gravity, this is the fate you've carved on me, the law of gravity..." -Vienna Teng, Gravity

Comment

PandandLight, you may disagree, but I am not wrong. It is a fact that the Romans had more GODS. Maybe I should have refrased my statement. So the Greeks had many GODS, just not as many as the Romans.
        SPQR

Comment

Could you site an example source for this, Agamemnon? And was this because of how expansionist the Romans were? Did they pick up new gods wherever they went? Why did some gods become a lesser deity of something specific, and others become incorporated into a more famous deity (like Diana of the Ephesians, with her rows of breasts and other assorted mother goddess symbolism--obviously not the same as Diana in Rome)?
          Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Names from Roman Mythology: Godchecker's mighty alphabetical index list of Classical Roman deity names – includes alternative names, titles, akas and nicknames of the Gods, Goddesses and spirits.

Just to name a couple. You will see that the first article explanes that the greeks did not concern themselves with the afterlife, while the Romans did. The second lists Greek GODS. The third is a list of 205 Roman deities and it doesn't name them all. The last one has a list of greek GODS and it does list most if not all the GODS. If this is not suffisient enough I can search my favorites for additional sites that can be of assistance.

The Roman Religion started out with alot of GODS to begin with. At the beginning most of their GODS were Etruscan (SP?) GODS. The romans revered the spirits of the land and the spirits of the house as well, this is something the greeks did not do. Before a forest was cut for wood, the romans would give offerings to appease these spirits. By the time the greeks and the romans exchanged cultures is about the same time that the Romans adopted the Greek myths for their own GODS.
            SPQR

Comment

[quote author=Agamemnon link=topic=902.msg17831#msg17831 date=1290881130]
              PandandLight, you may disagree, but I am not wrong. It is a fact that the Romans had more GODS. Maybe I should have refrased my statement. So the Greeks had many GODS, just not as many as the Romans.
              [/quote]

Look, I'm not sure what it is that you're misunderstanding in what I am saying, but I have NEVER said that the GReeks had more gods than th Romans overall- in fact, I said twice that I agree that there are more Roman deities overall. I even gave an example of the extent to which the Romans had deities of extremely specific things. I am only contesting your claim that the Greeks had only "twelve gods plus a few minor gods". Saying that the Greeks had more gods than that- a large number even, is not the same as saying that they had more gods than the Romans, which I never did.

Do you get what I'm trying to say here? Do you get now that I'm not trying to say that there are more Greek gods than Roman? Because if the answer is no, then I don't know how I can make it any clearer.

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=902.msg17806#msg17806 date=1290875226]
                Pain and Light, with the Q&A threads that we run on this forum, we encourage members to answer questions, but their opinions are not open for debate(in order to prevent the threads from being derailed and simply turning into arguments). That doesn't mean, however, that you can't create a debate thread on this topic. [/quote]

I made my most recent post on the thread before I saw this one, so I just wanted to say that I am not trying to debate opinion here. I'm not even contesting most of the facts of what Agamemnon said- I expressed agreement twice with the fact of the Romans having more gods than the Greeks. My only contest is with the idea that the Greeks had only "twelve gods plus a few minor gods"- this is a matter of fact which is very easily verifiable but a quick look at any one of a number of different web sites such as wikipedia or www.theoi.com

I'm not trying to derail the thread here, I've said what I needed to say and clarified it twice, and don't feel the need to comment any further on this particular point- if anyone reading the exchange has any questions about how many gods there are in the Greek pantheon versus the Roman, there's enough information now that they can go and research the matter on their own.

Comment

Re: Ask a Roman Reconstructionist!

[quote author=Agamemnon link=topic=902.msg17876#msg17876 date=1290895458]
                  You will see that the first article explanes that the greeks did not concern themselves with the afterlife, while the Romans did. [/quote]

With respect, I think that's a bit of an oversimplification... the Greeks certainly did concern themselves with the afterlife, and used magic in order to contact the dead in order to obtain information (see Odysseus and Tiresias, for example).

With respect the second source you mention is woeful. It does not list even a fraction of the Greek gods who were known to have been worshipped.

And as for the third... try looking atits entry for Apulu and then go and find some decent half academic sources on the subject.

I'm not trying to nit pick here and you are perfectly entitled to believe whatever you please (as I do! ) But if you are going to suggest sources I have to say that these are not good ones. I really do feel you are doing yourself - and your path - a disservice by relying on them.
                  www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

would it make you happier if I change what I said? ""The Greeks had 12 major GODS and several minor ones"" Is that better? Geesh
                    SPQR

Comment

[quote author=Agamemnon link=topic=983.msg18050#msg18050 date=1290957822]
                      would it make you happier if I change what I said? ""The Greeks had 12 major GODS and several minor ones"" Is that better? Geesh
                      [/quote]

[glow=red,2,300]Point made several posts ago. Let it drop children- love Mod. [/glow]
                      "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

*hands FW a cookie*
                        I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Can I be a mod?

I mean, every time lately that I've gotten annoyed enough to fire off a tirade on some thread, it's in the process of being locked...

:::grumblesonaboutGreeksnotbeingconcernedwithafter life...howmanyriversinHades...:::
                          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

*hands perz a cookie*

Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

Okay, so...

I've read through this whole thread twice, and I'm still confused. IS there a difference between the grecian pantheon and the roman pantheon, besides the difference in quantity of gods?

How is Jupiter difference than Zeus? How is Diana different than Artemis, Bacchus from Dionysus, etc?

Mostly art.

Comment

Working...
                              X