This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

little bit of puzzlement

I know that traditionally runes and bones are different forms of divination, but something is telling me to make a rune set carved into bones. What if any any issues could arise by combining the two? Has it ever been done? Or am I just crazy?

Re: little bit of puzzlement

I think I've heard of antlers being used for that purpose and that's bone. Don't quote me on it though.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Fang View Post
      I know that traditionally runes and bones are different forms of divination, but something is telling me to make a rune set carved into bones. What if any any issues could arise by combining the two? Has it ever been done? Or am I just crazy?
      Cant see why not.
      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
      Seen the desert and the birds
      You cut your hair short
      Like a shush to an insult
      The world had been yelling
      Since the day you were born
      Revolting with anger
      While it smiled like it was cute
      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

If the runespirits are amenable, then there is no problem with this.

Anyone who tries to tell you that you MUST make runes a certain way doesn't know their history very well. We actually can't even verify that runes were historically used for divination, let along how they were made or what they were made of. So no, there are no rules about how you can or can't make runes.

The only thing I would be careful of is combing the divination system... as in, if you try to mix the meanings of the bones with the meanings of the runes into a single system. In my experience, it doesn't really work that way. But choosing a bone that resonates with the runespirit and then reading the tunes... I see nothing wrong with that.

Comment

'Bones' used in divination are traditionally sheep's or goat's knuckles. When cast, they come up 'heads or tails' (that's over-simplifying, but you get the idea). Carving runes in bone is OK, I've done it many times. For what it's worth, there are many examples of runesters carving in bone in the Sagas.

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
          I think I've heard of antlers being used for that purpose and that's bone. Don't quote me on it though.
          Technically speaking, antler is a hair-like substance, not bone. Antler is great for carving in, too, but the center can be a bit porous sometimes.
          I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
          Clan of my Clan
          Kin of my Kin
          Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
          And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
            Technically speaking, antler is a hair-like substance, not bone. Antler is great for carving in, too, but the center can be a bit porous sometimes.
            Antler is like fingernail eh?
            ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
            Seen the desert and the birds
            You cut your hair short
            Like a shush to an insult
            The world had been yelling
            Since the day you were born
            Revolting with anger
            While it smiled like it was cute
            That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
              Antler is like fingernail eh?
              Maybe. My HS biology class was toooo long ago...
              I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Clan of my Clan
              Kin of my Kin
              Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                Maybe. My HS biology class was toooo long ago...
                Nerd alert :XD:

Hair, nails, claws, hooves, scales (of reptiles), beaks, feathers, the shells of tortoise and turtles, as well as horns and antlers (which is just a specific form of horns really) are all made of keratin, which is a form of protein. So yes they're "the same thing", sort of.
                For those who are interested in more can pop on over to the article on wikipedia.
                Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

I pretty much am of the school of make them out of whatever you want, and what ever you feel is right for you. I've made multiple sets over the years, from stone to wood to clay to glass, but the most recent set I made have been the ones I have connected to the most. They are made out of British one-pound coins that I filed all iconography off of until I had smooth disks of nickel and brass. I then carved the runes into them. There's something very satisfying and comforting about the size and weight of them. Though, I will be making a new set in the near future out of pewter, melting down chunks of it and casting them into a mold of my own making.

Comment

Thanks. I don't think I would read them like bones as I'm nowhere near familiar with that. But I do think that I would try to find a bone that resonated for each individual rune. May be while to collect all that I need seeing as I have to figure out where to find some bones at.

Comment

Thanks. I don't think I would read them like bones as I'm nowhere near familiar with that. But I do think that I would try to find a bone that resonated for each individual rune. May be while to collect all that I need seeing as I have to figure out where to find some bones at.
                      Try etsy.com

Comment

Explore our inventory of Tanned Furs, Antlers, Skulls, Bones, Teeth, Claws and More.

Moscow Hide and Fur (Moscow, Idaho, that is) has all kinds of bone, antler, horn, etc. I've ordered from them several times; great service, reasonable prices, and shipping isn't horrible.

Clan of my Clan
                        Kin of my Kin
                        Blood of my Blood

Comment

What are you looking for?

I might have bits & pieces.
                          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Not sure what I'm looking for your exactly... I'm one of those gotta touch and feel it people. I live in a rural community so it shouldn't be too hard to come across some bones here and there. I got a few gopher turtle claws lying around the house where my father in law found a carcass a few years back...I may use one or two of those, because with one income and two kids buying things are a last resort. I have to be creative.

Comment

You can also try The Bone Room.

Also, if you are on LiveJournal there is a community there who sell and swap bones, fur, hides and other bits and pieces. Many of them will barter if there are other things that they may need (either animal bits or otherwise), so you may not need actual money, just some goods you can barter.

Comment

Working...
                              X