Dry wood / "live" wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry wood / "live" wood

Hi all! Wasn't quite sure where to put this post so I figured I'd put it in hobbies. If it is in the wrong place please feel free to let me know/move it.

I have a small birch tree that I'm setting out today to cutting down (as it's growing in a place where I can't have it. It's killing my cherry tree, it's obscuring the view from the living room window and its roots are uppsetting the walkway...)
    But I feel like I should use it for something. Primarily I want to make my first set of wooden runes and maybe a carving or two.

So my question is this; for making/crafting things, in what shape do you find the wood to be most reliable/hardy?
    Do you wait until the wood is dry until you make things or do you use it while it is still green? Which alternative to you feel makes the most durable item?
    Last edited by Odahviing; 01 Oct 2014, 01:52. Reason: Bad spelling.

Re: Dry wood / "live" wood

Personally I've always worked with shed branches which were dry by the time I got to them, except for a single briar rose cane which I cut green and then allowed to dry. But then, I've not worked extensively with wood and so I wouldn't take my word as gospel on this.

Comment

And advantage of green branches is that you can weave with them... For carving, which I don't have much experience, you apparently can carve with green wood it just takes a different process.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

For myself, it depends on what you want to make and what purpose it would serve. I've only really used wood to craft things like wands/staffs - I prefer making those things out of wood that is already dried.

For Runes, I'm not sure because I've never made them. But for carving, I would probably suggest doing so when the wood is dried.

Comment

Most types of wood are easier to carve in when cured (dried). Generally speaking, the greener the wood, the softer it is, and softer wood is more likely to split or crack. You can always cut the rune discs from a branch and dry them in an oven (conventional oven, not microwave) on lowest heat for a couple hours. If you want to cure the wood naturally, place it on a rack of some kind, off the ground and in a place protected from the weather. Leave it to cure for at least a month, maybe two or three. I have a set of birch runes that I made twenty years ago, they're still going strong. Good luck, and happy runing!
          I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
          Tribe of my Tribe
          Clan of my Clan
          Kin of my Kin
          Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
          And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Thanks for your replies so far, all. I feel it's always good to ask when the opportunity presents itself.
            I kindof figured dried wood would be the way to go.
            Now I'll just have to hope I'll have the patience to wait while it dries before doing anything with it... :P

Comment

It depends on what you're making...

If you are making a staff, walking stick, quarter staff, or something along those lines, and you are starting with a thin-ish branch or sapling, cut it with about six extra inches on both ends, paint the ends (latex paint or wax), and set it in a dry place for about 1 year. That will give it maximum strength.

If you are doing some kind of big sculpture, you need to start with wet wood - chop out (hog out) as much of the extra wood as possible, coat it with wax, and let it sit to dry. Length of time will depend on how big the chunk is. Then, once it is dry, finish carve - you can't finish carve while wet because the grain fibers will not cut smoothly, or sand well.

Birch is a nice, fine grained wood and should be good to carve, but don't leave it lying on the ground. Birch rots fast.
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                It depends on what you're making...

If you are making a staff, walking stick, quarter staff, or something along those lines, and you are starting with a thin-ish branch or sapling, cut it with about six extra inches on both ends, paint the ends (latex paint or wax), and set it in a dry place for about 1 year. That will give it maximum strength.

If you are doing some kind of big sculpture, you need to start with wet wood - chop out (hog out) as much of the extra wood as possible, coat it with wax, and let it sit to dry. Length of time will depend on how big the chunk is. Then, once it is dry, finish carve - you can't finish carve while wet because the grain fibers will not cut smoothly, or sand well.

Birch is a nice, fine grained wood and should be good to carve, but don't leave it lying on the ground. Birch rots fast.

Comment

Working...
                X