This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question on symbols

Ok so I got a question , why is thors hammer and the runes and in some cases odinism itself been adopted by skinheads . And does this happening piss u off or anger u that this group has adopted some of the symbols of the Norse faith
    Knowledge is the key to eternity. Not bowing before a deity not grovling at the feet of a messiah. Knowledge is power beyond mesure - satanic witch

Re: question on symbols

Originally posted by satanic witch View Post
    Ok so I got a question , why is thors hammer and the runes and in some cases odinism itself been adopted by skinheads .
    You'll have to ask that question on a skinhead or Odinist forum. I seriously doubt anyone here can give you a truthful answer... of course, I suppose there could be closet or reformed skinheads or Odinists lurking about...

Originally posted by satanic witch View Post
    And does this happening piss u off or anger u that this group has adopted some of the symbols of the Norse faith
    Doesn't particularly make me thrilled, doesn't particularly make me angry, either. I don't own a copyright on Teutonic symbols, nor does anyone else.
    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
    Clan of my Clan
    Kin of my Kin
    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

I've read during my rune studies that several ancient symbols, runes and ideals were adopted into Nazi-Germany by, guess who, Nazis.
      It was part of a national-romantic ploy to strengthen the idea of a commonly shared glorious, warlike, Germanic past.
      Through glorifying and reconstructing (or falsifying) ideals from a common past, in this case Germanic, it's easier to promote supremist views against those who aren't included in that past.

I don't know about other countries but here in Sweden the use of these symbols is generally considered as a racist sign. Even something as innocent as runes from the elder futhark...Here it's mostly used as a white supremist thing. It pisses me off sometimes when I think about it when I have to choose not to wear a certain symbol because people will assume I'm a racist... I live in a small community and word of mouth can be pretty rough here. We have a neonazi party here that has adopted the Aegishjalmur as their logo, so that is ruined for public use...
      Also how historically incorrect those ideas are kind of disagrees with me.

This is also why I haven't been able to find and join any heathen groups from around here; they always seem to turn into a racist thing.
      Last edited by Odahviing; 02 Oct 2014, 05:54.

Comment

About Odinism and Skinheads. What has already been said more or less, though the connotation between Runes, Odin, Norse mythology and nationalism was made before the Nazi party entered the scene (it dates back to the national romantic era circa 1820-1870 or there abouts.) The Nazis just made it fashionable in their own time and tied it to a Holocaust of epic proportions, so that the connection is unlikely to be forgotten any time soon. At least in Europe.

As for what Osahviing said about the runes ect. Now I can only speak for Denmark, but here it isn't nearly as bad. The swastika obviously still has Nazi connotations and is unlike to be rid of them in the foreseeable future, but things such as runes from the elder Futhark, Oath Knots/Oath Rings isn't likely to cause any raised eyebrows or even questions. Though much of the time, it'll be because people don't even know what they are. A Thor's hammer might get you some interested questions, but unless you're clearly acting like a racists or displaying characteristics of say a Skinhead, then that's about all.
        This is probably because our one national union of Asatru, Forn Sidr, has done a really hard job over the last several decades of removing themselves from the Nazi connection and make it clear that while the Neo-Nazis used Germanic symbols that didn't mean that every person who believed in the old Norse gods were Nazis or shared any of their opinions.
        Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRaven View Post
          About Odinism and Skinheads. What has already been said more or less, though the connotation between Runes, Odin, Norse mythology and nationalism was made before the Nazi party entered the scene (it dates back to the national romantic era circa 1820-1870 or there abouts.) The Nazis just made it fashionable in their own time and tied it to a Holocaust of epic proportions, so that the connection is unlikely to be forgotten any time soon. At least in Europe.
          Haha I logged back on to add this part, didn't think of this earlier. You beat me to it

(And regarding the Swedish seeing racism in these things; swedes see it in *everything*... We are so afraid culturally of not being politically correct *all the time* that anything said or done by a white person can be called out as racist in the media and so forth...)
          Last edited by Odahviing; 02 Oct 2014, 09:47.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who has replied
            Knowledge is the key to eternity. Not bowing before a deity not grovling at the feet of a messiah. Knowledge is power beyond mesure - satanic witch

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRaven View Post
              ... Oath Knots/Oath Rings isn't likely to cause any raised eyebrows or even questions. Though much of the time, it'll be because people don't even know what they are. A Thor's hammer might get you some interested questions, but unless you're clearly acting like a racists or displaying characteristics of say a Skinhead, then that's about all...
              I hadn't thought about this until now, being new to Asatru. I've been wearing a Mjolnir pendant and shaving my head for about 20 years head because I'm bald on top. But I smile and chit-chat a lot, no matter who they are. My concern would be if someone thought it to be anything other than what it is... just a bald guy who wears a Thor's hammer and prays to Thor. In fact, only twice has anyone commented on my pendant. One was a supermarket employee who said "ooh, I like your Thor's hammer!" The other one was a sales associate in a department store who asked me if I am interested in animal welfare. I said "uh yes... why?" She said (are you ready for this?)... "oh because your pendant looks like a whale's tail".
              śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
              śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Working...
              X