Heathen Symbols: Valknut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heathen Symbols: Valknut

In another thread, someone brought up Heathen symbolism. I've been thinking about such things for some time, so let's discuss some of the symbols commonly used in Heathenry, beginning with the Valknut. For these discussions, let's keep it to meanings and uses in ancient and/or modern Heathen practices, and forego hashing and rehashing of any co-opting of symbols by modern radical or fringe groups (I'm pretty sure we all know who these groups are, so naming them is unnecessary).

So...

Do you wear a Valknut? Do you know what it is/means/symbolizes? (For an example of an image of a Valknut, see my avatar) I'll chime in with my thoughts later.

Ready? And... go!
    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
    Clan of my Clan
    Kin of my Kin
    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Re: Heathen Symbols: Valknut

I have seen multiple theories, most of which have little or no anthropological or archaeological backing behind them. As far as I understand it, we simply don't know it's historical significance, as there are no definitive explanations for it's appearance on our remaining sources.

Today it is linked most often with Odhinn and followers of Odhinn. I've seen varying degrees of strictness regarding who can and can't wear the symbol, but, like many things in Heathenry, the community can't come to a solid agreement about it.

Comment

I meant to respond to this thread this morning, but then I realized what time it was and that I had to get my lazy butt off the couch and off to work.

As of right now, I do not wear a valknut though I do have plans to have one of my own design done as a tattoo, to go along with the one I already have of Munin and Hugin. Though, the design itself is quite detailed, and I have been informed that it is going to be quite costly, so money becomes an issue for that as well. I have also been searching for a valknut pendant, but have yet to find one that really catches my eye.

As for the meaning, there are many schools of thought on that, from a symbol of death to a germanic version of a triskel to it being the heart of the jotun Hrungnir. Personally, I feel that the concept of it being a symbol of death and a triskel both work in well, especially in relation with Odin.

Nine points for Odin, three interlocking triangles for Ve, Vili, and Odin himself (which I have seem referenced a few times as being one in the same, as a triple diety), and as a reference to his role as a god of war and death.

Comment

I see it as a dedication to Odin, I am quite weary of the symbol. I don't own a Valknut, I prefer wearing my Mjolnir.

Comment

Not to go off on the groups that have given symbols a bad name,it does bother me when if your belief uses symbols you have to worry someone will not have any idea of the origins of symbols and this is kinda sad. I would take the Pentagram as an example. In past times it was considered a positive symbol,but these days it has been branded evil.

I am sorry if I went there,but Christians would get very mad,if you started branding a cross as an evil symbol....Just my take,your mileage might vary..
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
            For these discussions, let's keep it to meanings and uses in ancient and/or modern Heathen practices
            I advise all concerned parties to very carefully read the quoted text before commenting. The OP very clearly spelled out the topic he wants. If you are unwilling or unable to remain with the boundaries of that topic then start a new thread somewhere else. Taking this thread outside the parameters defined so clearly by the original poster is liable to draw my whole and undivided attention.
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
              In another thread, someone brought up Heathen symbolism. I've been thinking about such things for some time, so let's discuss some of the symbols commonly used in Heathenry, beginning with the Valknut. For these discussions, let's keep it to meanings and uses in ancient and/or modern Heathen practices, and forego hashing and rehashing of any co-opting of symbols by modern radical or fringe groups (I'm pretty sure we all know who these groups are, so naming them is unnecessary).

So...

Do you wear a Valknut? Do you know what it is/means/symbolizes? (For an example of an image of a Valknut, see my avatar) I'll chime in with my thoughts later.

Ready? And... go!
              My (albeit very limited) understanding was that it was a representation of the nine noble virtues, which is something I picked up from various readings this past summer so I can't exactly pinpoint where I got that specific idea. But that was my general understand of the symbol and as far as that understanding got.
              We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
              It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
              Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
              -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Odinists have adopted the symbol as their own since the primary place it appears is on the Stora Hammars stone, in a picture with Odin. It has also been adopted by Asatruar since its nine points can represent the nine noble virtues, but I believe that to be more of a modern interpretation since the nine virtues are not a canonical concept. To the ancient folk, they were just inherent truths so the need to list them wasn't there. To them, it would be like carrying around a list of the days of the week. Another modern interpretation is that the nine points represent the nine realms of Yggdrasil. On a personal level, for me the valknut represents the animistic interconnectedness of all things.

Comment

If I remember correctly, from my Heathen former-roomie...wasn't the earliest stylistic forms of it a pointy, triangular triqueta? He generally went with the binding aspect of it...and, tbh, didn't use it for a symbol in anything because (to paraphrase) "binding yourself with anything, much less a symbol of Odin, is like asking Loki to help writing term papers".
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X