Replica/ritual hammer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replica/ritual hammer

I've been looking for a small ritual hammer for my altar, to hold when I recite the Hammer Hallowing prayer. I've been holding my hammer pendant while I recite the prayer, but I've wanted a real hammer. OK, so I can't find any... all the hammers I've found are huge sledge hammers; rubber mallets with different handle materials and in different sizes; claw and ball-peen hammers, which I don't think are appropriate. I found an unfinished wooden mallet in a craft store, and painted it with a metallic gray craft paint. It does look like newly forged iron. I'm wondering if that's an acceptable item to use. I've attached a picture of it, though the pic is kind of small.
    Attached Files
    śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Re: Replica/ritual hammer

I had mentioned this in another thread, but I'll bring it up again here. I found a copper headed hammer among my grandfather's old tools in the basement, and have since started to clean up and inscribe runes along it as an item dedicated to Thor. I know that most hardware stores carry them, and some can look quite excellent for what you wish to use it for.

Comment

I did read that post, and I immediately became jealous. lol I went to a couple of home improvement stores, but I had no luck. They had smaller sledge hammers with nice wooden handles and a solid metal head, about the size of a regular claw hammer, but they weighed about 15 lbs. Otherwise I would have grabbed one. I'm going to have to search smaller hardware stores.

Comment

Or check out Ebay. There's quite a few cheap ones I found up there, as well as a few very old ones that look really nice.

Comment

Great idea, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
            Or check out Ebay. There's quite a few cheap ones I found up there, as well as a few very old ones that look really nice.
            Second that. Ebay is a treasure trove for "unusual" things.

Also, a good idea could be to check out reenactment stores. I don't know much about what they're like in the U.S. but I figure they should be able to give you what you need.

Comment

Check pawn shops, surplus stores, thrift and second-hand shops, and Goodwill.

A buddy of mine made a hammer out of a counter-weight from an oil well pump; it weighed 65 lb...
              I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
              Tribe of my Tribe
              Clan of my Clan
              Kin of my Kin
              Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
              And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Brass hammer.jpg

Comment

Nice! Personally, I wouldn't mind if it looks like it's seen some use. I mean, it's a hammer... Hammers hammer things. It would be less interesting with a hammer that looked like it had never actually struck anything as opposed to one that was a little "battle-scarred".

Comment

You're right. If I do anything to it I might shine up the brass a little bit and polish the handle, but nothing like completely sanding the handle, refinishing, or making the brass gleaming. I'd just make it look like it was a tool that was used and cared for.

Comment

Great grab! That looks awesome!

Comment

I really like it. Bidding ends tomorrow morning. I am the only bidder on it so far... $5.00.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnar Thorbjorn View Post
                          I really like it. Bidding ends tomorrow morning. I am the only bidder on it so far... $5.00.
                          Well done! It looks amazing!
                          ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                          Seen the desert and the birds
                          You cut your hair short
                          Like a shush to an insult
                          The world had been yelling
                          Since the day you were born
                          Revolting with anger
                          While it smiled like it was cute
                          That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I hope no one else bids on it. It's funny how something just hits you (no pun intended) and you know it's right.

Comment

Unfortunately I was outbid by .50. :='(: But I found this one, a purchase, not a bid:

Brass hammer1.jpg

I'm not wild about Genuine Hickory stamped on the handle, but I might be able to sand that off smooth. I could refinish the handle and inscribe runes, leave it plain, or simply wrap lightweight leather around it. I think that would look smashing (pun intended).

Comment

Working...
                              X