ritual for handing over a staff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ritual for handing over a staff?

can anyone think of a ceremony or ritual for passing a staff from one to the another?

i carved a wooden staff out of an oak struck by lightning near my house as a gift for someone but i cant find a ceremony or anything for giving it to him .... normally i would just give it to the person once its done but he would rather a ceremony of some kind :/

Re: ritual for handing over a staff?

Curious did you charge it with life? If not its not entirely different than going to your local store and buying it off the shelf. It would then fall to the one who is receiving it to bring it to life, charge or charm it and make it their own. Perhaps to even blood it to join the two energies as one.

On the surface it would seem to suggest the person thinks there is some sort of exchange of energy and ownership if passed via a ceremony. Yet until they take it it's just a dead stick or branch or metal blade if you use that comparison. Figure mythology wise a staff taken from one person and given to another is a result of defeating the other and having a bit of control over their power as the staff is still a weapon though welded for magical purposes.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

It is charged and enchanted and its connected to him through various ingredients it only needs handed to him and named.
      all i did was use my crafting ability to carve the wood, cast the metal, invoke/evoke some things, and charge it.

down to the paint everything is an ingredient specified for him as were the ceremonies. i was just looking for an idea, but if i cant find any ill just develop one :/

Comment

Sorry if you charged and invoked or summoned things into its creation then you have to un-own it first and he has to lay claim to it and see if the staff actually will accept his claim. It's not just a matter of handing it to him under those conditions. You basically created a sword in the stone scenario and he has to pull it and prove he is its master and be accepted while you release any connection you have to it.

Comment

how do you un-own it?

- - - Updated - - -

would him naming it be claiming ownership?

Comment

Originally posted by hicups0002 View Post
            how do you un-own it?

- - - Updated - - -

would him naming it be claiming ownership?
            Truthfully would depend upon what you did during its creation. For instance you said you invoked and evoked to create it which means you Invoked something either into you or into the staff and evoked something before you or before the staff that did something to it. Under those usages any agreements or influences upon the staff or the holder are based upon you and anything you agreed to. Any cost or payment is aligned against you not whomever you might give the staff to. If you invoked something into the staff many times that process was used to bring it to life and often included nesting or placing a spirit into the item and making it alive. That doesn't even touch upon if you gave it a name or identity.

Depending upon what you did and conditions of it you might not be able to un-own it. It's like blooding is often a component of charging things, if you blooded it you just made it even harder to un-own as you tied it to your own energy and usage. Any sigils cared into it? Any charms, wards, glyphs, etc inscribed upon it or carved into it? Then you have to consider in some practices what is made in the physical is first created on the astral then manifested upon the physical. Yet its astral counter-part or component remains attached to the creator of the item and that has to be released as well.

To un-own it you may actually have to destroy it completely or certain facets of it. In most instances you simply can't say I don't want you anymore and give you away. It doesn't work like that which is why most people will buy a shell and finish it themselves or construct their own tools from scratch. It's like some people believe if you blooded it then that section has to be cut out and burnt to remove that influence. Yet that doesn't totally remove the energy of the blood and its action upon the whole. Some times it can be re-blooded by the new owner but doesn't mean its accepted or the original owners influence is removed.

No simply naming it will not typically make it his. Especially so if you did any of the items or similar type things I mentioned above. Naming it would be like saying your name is Mike but i'm going to call you Thomas and make that your new name. Works great on paper or theory but how fast would you answer to Thomas knowing your real name is Mike? Like I said you've created sort of a sword in the stone situation where he has to prove his worth and not only take control and dominance over it but have it accept that and answer to him. As to what it will take I have no way of knowing. Yet it could be as much as he has to magically and perhaps even physically defeat you and take it by force. Sucks as a manner but mythology wise and lore wise it is often a condition that has to be met to show it owes its allegence to another now.

Then you have to consider that even if you do un-own it it doesn't mean it will ever work for him. It might just become a pretty wall hanger that looks nice but can't be used at all. He didn't cull the branch from the tree or give thanks to the green person it was culled from and released its inner spirit. He didn't speak to it as the spirit was awakened in the wood and a purpose instilled as you inscribed upon it.

In a really surreal sense you created a girl friend, conditioned her and taught her all you want her to do, know and how to act and now are planning to give her to your friend.

Personally i'd do something like create a purification fire and ensure it smokes a lot. Stand on one side and thank the spirit of the wood and any forces that I called upon to create it for their assistance. Tell it I release my claim to it and to its astral form and ask it to release me and its claim upon me. Passing it first through water that my influence be washed away and carried from it. Then I'd pass it through the smoke of purification so that any lingering connections to me be burnt away by the heat and fire and cleaned away by the smoke. That the staff then be passed to whomever stands to receive it upon exiting the smoke and heat and let the staff test them to prove their worthiness to lay claim to it.

But understand depending upon what was done to create it there might be more needed to be done to un-own it.

Others may advise other things but that is what I'd do and some of the type things i'd consider trying to determine if I can un-own it.

Comment

this is incredibly informative ^^ thank you !
              now my final question which i hope will have a more favorable response than the possibility of him not being able to use it
              what if said forces were invoked/evoked in the name of my friend and for my friend ... like asking them to aid him in his goals? does that change how easy it would be to un-own or make it more his?

Comment

Again it can but a lot depends upon how it was worded. If you invoked or evoked them then the connection is with you though you did it for your friend. So figure did you say something like ..

I Invoke The four winds for Tom that they ............. Under that condition you invoked them, you called them commanded what had to be done and then released them upon completion of the task to be performed. So while it was done for the benefit of Tom all the legalese is in your name. Sort of like cosigning a loan, if person A doesn't make the payments then the person who cosigned has to make them for them. That's why for me wording gets real iffy and touchy when your creating things for others.

Where your going to have an escape clause or out is if Tom in the scenario above has acknowledged his acceptance of the terms of service and signs it in someway that is acceptable to whomever granted the outcome. So you might do something like have a statement written that it was all done for Tom and that by the fixing of his name and a drop of blood to a paper that he takes full responsibility and accountability / culpability for charges incurred. Then maybe have a copy for yourself, one for Tom and one that is burnt in the fire you'll use to pass the staff through so it is transmuted and the conditions of creation are passed to Tom as the recipient of the staff. Then when Tom accepts the staff he also accepts the conditions of the acceptance which were released and became part of the ceremony of acceptance.

Not the only way but just a suggestion of what might be done to release your part and have the other person clearly accept it.

Comment

thank you so much XD! all of these are brilliant :3 i never thought of any of this but thank you ill review the wordings i used and ill be more observant of my wording in the future ...its kind of a wakeup call i cant believe i forgot the importance of wording on such a delicate project!

- - - Updated - - -

talk about needing to review the basics o.o!

Comment

Your welcome.

One thing i'd add is that many times its not about a review of the basics but fully understanding both your own beliefs and practice and that of the person your doing the creation for. For instance if you believe that the elements, spirits, demons, daemons or gods / goddesses, etc you invoke or evoke have certain powers and such then that will apply to your actions. Yet if the person you've created for doesn't hold the same beliefs then they can not accept the conditions of creation so it can not be undone or transferred.

Then you also have to consider how are practices similar or dissimilar? Those differences influence how you go about creating an item, joining in on a ceremony / ritual, etc.

Comment

im still a mishmash of things and hes mostly an alchemist... the philosophical kind
                      this also aids me in another project i have going which is to make him a sort of servant statue that can carry over to his astral endeavors.... its not that i only make things for him hes just the one who inspires such projects.
                      i like making things ^^ i guess it would be kind of a pseudo spirit guide... like an astral companion ... if it can be done :O!

Comment

Now your going to enshrine something for him? To enshrine it or breath life into a statuary item to be used as the physical housing location for either an egregore, servitor or construct.

Sorry think i'll be bailing out of this conversation now

Comment

...so thats a bad idea i take it?

- - - Updated - - -

ive heard a little about servitors and egregors but i never delved into the concepts

Comment

Working...
                          X