NASA: New life: "This changes everything"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NASA: New life: "This changes everything"

NASA has discovered a new life form, a bacteria called GFAJ-1 that is unlike anything currently living in planet Earth. It's capable of using arsenic to build its DNA, RNA, proteins, and cell membranes. This changes everything. Updated.

In my opinion, this supports one fundamental scientific idea: that the spark of life can occur more than once. The first living cells - the origin of all life as we know it - are not the only occurrence of life on this planet. This by extension strongly supports the idea that (simple) life could arise on other planets.
    Be Excellent to each other - or something will Happen to you.

Re: NASA: New life: "This changes everything"

Extremely interesting!
    "The proper office of a friend is to side with you when you are in the wrong. Nearly anybody will side with you when you are in the right."--Mark Twain

"There are only two types of people in this world who walk around beardless; boys and women. I am neither one." --Ancient Greek saying

Comment

Wow. That is all.

Comment

Definitely fascinating and changes completely, how we view 'life'. Very exciting stuff, indeed.
        Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

But this does not change a definition of "life" ...

"The condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally. "

This is just another type of life ... With a slightly differing basis ... POISON ...
          I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

You're poison runnin' through my veins, you're poison... I don't wanna break these chains...

True, technically it doesn't change the definition of life. It broadens the scope of the definition of the building blocks of life. But we must edit soundbites for verbosity.
            Be Excellent to each other - or something will Happen to you.

Comment

I actually don't find this all that surprising...

totally cool, yes...

but some sort of ZOMG! discovery, not so much...

...I figured the other shoe was likely out there waiting to drop eventually

...and I'm pretty sure there are others also
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

'In all things there is a poison, and there is nothing without a poison. It depends only upon the dose whether a poison is a poison or not.'
                The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Well everything is actually poison. What does not make it poisonous is the ability of using it for a process without hacking the other processes. Arsenic, hacks Phosphorus, in standard lifeforms, that is why it is toxic. For that bacteria... maybe Phosphorus is toxic, because it hacks the Arsenic.

Comment

Although, I disagree that it indicates that life occurred more than once.

(although, I am not a stranger to the idea of "life" arising as a series of starts and stops and do-overs)

Parsimony wise (and we biopeeps do love our parsimony), it also can (more likely) indicate that this organism deviated from the established lineage early on.
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=1062.msg19459#msg19459 date=1291353317]
                      I actually don't find this all that surprising...

totally cool, yes...

but some sort of ZOMG! discovery, not so much...

...I figured the other shoe was likely out there waiting to drop eventually

...and I'm pretty sure there are others also
                      [/quote]

Same.

Comment

Very intersting! thanks for sharing

Comment

[quote author=magusjinx link=topic=1062.msg19453#msg19453 date=1291351083]
                          But this does not change a definition of "life" ...

"The condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally. "

This is just another type of life ... With a slightly differing basis ... POISON ...
                          [/quote]

I recall from my biology days that the definition of life has always been kind of slippery. Just looking at the definition you presented there, many living organisms can't reproduce (from sterile individuals to animals like mules). Previous definitions of metabolism didn't involve arsenic (which previously fell firmly under inorganic substances). There are plenty of species that can only survive within an extremely narrow range of living conditions, and plenty that have died out because of inability to adapt. Yet all these organisms (individuals and collectives) are considered to be/have been alive.

I like the NASA quote I've heard: "This is life as we don't know it."

Comment

Working...
                          X