Hodur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hodur

I was interested in a Heathen winter god, because I have a pull to rainy weather. So I found him. He spoke to me most.
    This is what I know so far, besides him being the Heathen winter god:
    This is my source: http://www.goddessfreya.info/myths/hodur.htm

In my "Prolonging a break that has been taken" thread, HarpingHawke said that perhaps I should contact other possible deities, since I didn't hear from Djehuty and Bast from pretty much time. Hodur talked to me most.

So, what do you say?
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Re: Hodur

There are Skadhi and Ullr also, both associated with winter, though more with snow than with bad weather in general.
    śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

My knowledge of Old Norse/Germanic deities is far from all encompassing, but I cannot recall ever before hearing Hodur being connected with winter before.

As for Skadhi she was originally a Jotnir, but she got married to Njord (long story, no seriously - long story) who's connected with the sea and with weather. Skadhi is connected with snow and with skiing as far as I know.
      Ullr, from what extremely little is known of him, appears to be connected with forests (possibly wilderness in general).

(Sorry for the rambling. My arthritis is bad and I'm slightly doped on morphine.)
      Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

What is a Jotnir, MoonRaven?

Heal soon!!!
        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Giant, I believe. Possibly a specific race/tribe of giant since there were several.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
            What is a Jotnir, MoonRaven?
            Okay, quick run down of being in Old Norse mythology.
            The beings usually referred to as gods are the Aesir (alternate spelling Asir) - which is the most of them - and the Vanir - which are Njord, Freya and Frey. These are often seen as forces of order and in opposition to the Jotnir (alternate spellings Jotnrr, Jotnur, Jotnar and several others, but these are the ones I have seen most often) who appears to be forces of chaos. In English texts these are often called giants, but I dislike using the term because Jotnir are different beings from the English giants.
            Then of course there are various spirit being, elves, dwarves, humans and so on.

But the division isn't always that sharp. As I said Skadhi is a Jotnir, but ended up married to Njord. Loki is also a Jotnir, but is Odin's blood brother.
            Some of the more fundamentalist Heathens exclude all Jotnir from worship, even Skadhi and Loki.

If you want to know more about the various beings in Old Norse mythology I believe Rae'ya, Heka and I got somewhat in depth with it when we discussed Voluspa last year: http://www.paganforum.com/showthread...hlight=voluspa

Heal soon!!!
            It is unfortunately a chronic condition, so I just have to live with it. I alternate between bad days, worse days and the I'm-so-doped-I'm-nearly-incoherent days. Today lies somewhere between the second and third of these.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRaven View Post
              Okay, quick run down of being in Old Norse mythology.
              The beings usually referred to as gods are the Aesir (alternate spelling Asir) - which is the most of them - and the Vanir - which are Njord, Freya and Frey. These are often seen as forces of order and in opposition to the Jotnir (alternate spellings Jotnrr, Jotnur, Jotnar and several others, but these are the ones I have seen most often) who appears to be forces of chaos. In English texts these are often called giants, but I dislike using the term because Jotnir are different beings from the English giants.
              Then of course there are various spirit being, elves, dwarves, humans and so on.

But the division isn't always that sharp. As I said Skadhi is a Jotnir, but ended up married to Njord. Loki is also a Jotnir, but is Odin's blood brother.
              Some of the more fundamentalist Heathens exclude all Jotnir from worship, even Skadhi and Loki.

If you want to know more about the various beings in Old Norse mythology I believe Rae'ya, Heka and I got somewhat in depth with it when we discussed Voluspa last year: http://www.paganforum.com/showthread...hlight=voluspa

I see. Thanks very much for the info!!! So Jotnir is not a giant, but someone who is considered godly, but also one who brings chaos. If I'm understanding it right.

It is unfortunately a chronic condition, so I just have to live with it. I alternate between bad days, worse days and the I'm-so-doped-I'm-nearly-incoherent days. Today lies somewhere between the second and third of these.
              Just like my asthma. I hope it gets better for you!

Comment

So Jotnir is not a giant, but someone who is considered godly, but also one who brings chaos. If I'm understanding it right.
                Yes and no. Some Jotnar were friends and lovers of the gods, some were evil, some were "regular" size, some were so immense that Thor seemed tiny. Consider Skrymir/Utgarda-Loki's size relative to Thor, Loki, Thjalfi and Roskva. Why this is, I don't know.

Comment

I see. Thanks very much for the info!!! So Jotnir is not a giant, but someone who is considered godly, but also one who brings chaos. If I'm understanding it right.
                  That depends entirely on how you define the word god. If we see it as someone that has godlike powers, then yes the Jotnir could be considered gods.
                  In traditional Asatru Jotnir did not have cults devoted to them, as far as we know at the least. But if a ship at sea
                  was caught in a storm, then the sailors would sacrifice gold to Ranir (a female Jotnir connected with the sea. She was married to Aegir who was also connected to the sea and perhaps seen as the Jotnir opposite of Njord.) Everyone who drowned was said to dwell in Ranir's realm, rather than go to Hel as most dead did.

Honestly the whole thing is rather confusing. Much of that is due to us having so few sources available and what we do have is comparatively late, much of is having been written down in Christian era.
                  (I really need Rae'ya right now, she's much better at answering this in a logical manner than I am.)

Comment

Honestly the whole thing is rather confusing. Much of that is due to us having so few sources available and what we do have is comparatively late, much of is having been written down in Christian era.
                    I wouldn't be surprised if there were conflicting stories and views even during the Viking Age, and before much of the lore was lost. It's a bitter pill that the most concise collection of stories was written down by a Christian. When I read The Prologue of the Prose Edda I thought "huh? what!? I thought this was Norse mythology".

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnar Thorbjorn View Post
                      I wouldn't be surprised if there were conflicting stories and views even during the Viking Age, and before much of the lore was lost. It's a bitter pill that the most concise collection of stories was written down by a Christian. When I read The Prologue of the Prose Edda I thought "huh? what!? I thought this was Norse mythology".
                      And the stuff we do have that's contemporary was written by foreigners such as Tacitus and Ibn Fadlan.
                      But yeah, I think there was more local variation than most people would credit.

Comment

I was interested in a Heathen winter god, because I have a pull to rainy weather. So I found him. He spoke to me most.
                        This is what I know so far, besides him being the Heathen winter god:

This is my source: http://www.goddessfreya.info/myths/hodur.htm

In my "Prolonging a break that has been taken" thread, HarpingHawke said that perhaps I should contact other possible deities, since I didn't hear from Djehuty and Bast from pretty much time. Hodur talked to me most.

So, what do you say?
                        In traditional Asatru Jotnir did not have cults devoted to them, as far as we know at the least.
                        Skadhi did

Well... that actually depends on what you mean by 'tradtiional Asatru'. If you mean historically, anthropologists generally accept that Skadhi had cults, as evidenced by her name being in lots of name places.

(I really need Rae'ya right now, she's much better at answering this in a logical manner than I am.)
                        I'll try! lol

The simplest explanation is to think of the Jotnar (singular 'jotunn', plural 'jotnar') as similar to the Titans of Hellenic mythology. They are a race of beings who predate the Aesir, and who are primal, ancient and connected with natural phenomenon. They are connected with chaos because they are uncontrolled nature and primal elements, while the Aesir are civilisation, law and order. The tricky thing with the Jotnar is that as a race, they are incredibly varied. There are primal, elemental jotnar who spend more time in their ice-state or strom-state than as humanoid entities. There are jotnar who are so ancient and slow that they lay dormant as mountains. But there are jotnar who are 'humanoid', 'normal' sized, polite, hospitable and kind. There are Jotnar who rule over things like storms, weather, wind, the ocean, the tides, mountains, animals, lightning, fire, ice and other natural elements. There are also Jotnar who rule over healing, genealogy, planted gardens and hospitality. A Jotunn goddess rules over the land of the dead, and the three goddesses of 'fate' in Norse mythology are Jotnar.

The Jotnar inhabit three of the nine worlds of Norse mythology and control a fourth. They are the most numerous of all the beings in the Nine Worlds, and they are the most varied. Not all of them are considered to be godlike though. Northern Tradition folk often use the term 'Rokkr' to describe the jotnar that are considered to be 'gods', but you will never find any recon Heathen or Asatruar who accepts that these beings are gods or even godlike. Of all the thousands of jotnar who inhabit the Nine Worlds, only a handful of them are considered to be 'gods', but there are many more who have god-like powers over their individual elemental and natural associations.

Over the years, different words have been used to describe the Jotnar... including 'giant'. In Old Norse, as well as 'jotunn', the term 'thursar' is sometimes used, which is translated into 'thurse' in English. It's the translation into Old English then English, done largely by Christian monks, that caused the terms to change. So you'll see the words 'giant', 'thurse' and 'troll' used to describe the Jotnar. This doesn't mean that the Jotnar are giants or trolls... some can appear that way, but the words were associated with them because those terms were easy for the local population to understand, and they have the negative associations that the Christians wanted people to have. And when you read about how 'racist' the Aesir are towards the Jotnar, it's easy to see how those negative associations were so well accepted.

Comment

So completely off topic but this thread has me thinking of

AE Giants. Not so much because the Jotnar remind me of them as the general concept of "this is not your typical giant" applies to both.
                          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Where as I'm sitting here going...

Hodor.. hodor....HODOR!!!
                            ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                            Seen the desert and the birds
                            You cut your hair short
                            Like a shush to an insult
                            The world had been yelling
                            Since the day you were born
                            Revolting with anger
                            While it smiled like it was cute
                            That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment