Feeling (or lack thereof) of the altar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeling (or lack thereof) of the altar

I didn't want to hijack the thread this post came from http://www.paganforum.com/showthread.php?8285-I-feel-like-Heathenism-is-lacking-something&p=155479&viewfull=1#post155479 but it raises a question for me:

It seems I don't get any special feeling at or from my altar, other than it being decorative. It has my statue of Thor, some pictures of the deities, my horn and bowl, my runes in a pouch, some oak twigs, candle and incense holder, and hammer. I spend very little time there, even when I make an offering (just a libation of mead or beer). However, I get a stronger connection to the gods, and Thor especially (my patron, protector, big brother, and bud) just when thinking about him, and the other gods and goddesses. In fact, while I usually don't feel anything from the altar, I get "warm fuzzies" thinking about them at other times. Is there something I should do to "consecrate" the altar. I wonder if it's because it's a "decommissioned" Hindu altar, in the same place, on the same table, same cloth. Should I move it or somehow disconnect it from its previous use? Or does it matter? Anyone ever experience this?
    śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Re: Feeling (or lack thereof) of the altar

I know what you mean. I've had altars in the past, and I've never really felt like they were "holy", more just a place for me to keep all my stuff together at. Honestly, I don't think that that is really a bad thing. Once I thought that I needed to have an altar, and that I couldn't be a "proper" pagan without it, but over the years I've discovered that that is just silly. It's like those Christians that feel that they have to go into a church to talk to God.

So A place to keep all your things, nice and neat and looking pretty cool, is a great idea and all I have use of an "altar" for, myself. In fact, at this time, I don't even have one set up, and my things are all over the place. But soon.

If you feel that you need the altar to give you those warm fuzzies, go for it and consecrate it in a way that you feel is fitting. Sprinkle your offering mead across it, or wave your hammer around above it, us incense or candles or ... the possibilities are endless. But I wouldn't be too concerned about it not being "right'. The intent, the effort, and the will of a thing is what matters. Sort of like if you carve a statue for your God, and it comes out looking more like a lopsided lump of wood than the mighty figure you had in mind, the fact that you put the effort into it is what the Gods see.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorbjorn View Post
      I spend very little time there, even when I make an offering (just a libation of mead or beer).
      Personally, I think this is why.

The 'feeling' that practicing people get from altars is one of two things... a heightened connection to our gods (which doesn't actually need altars, as it looks like you've found out) or the feeling of sacred space. To create sacred space you have to work at it. You can't just slap some things on a surface and forget about them with a distracted little 'oh here you go' offering every now and then and expect it to be sacred space. There are lots of ways to help create sacred space, but they all involve regular work. Spend just five minutes there each day consciously doing spiritual thinking there will change the energy of the altar. Burning incense, smudging (recaning in Old English, if you want a Northern term for it), burning candles, tending the altar by cleaning and tidying it, and generally ensuring that every time you approach it, you are consciously feeling reverent and 'spiritual' will all also help. Some find it helpful to treat the altar as a living thing. Or treat it like the home of your gods (which is what it's often supposed to be... their home within your home)... would you just drive by Thor's house, drop some beer at his door and run off on your other errands? I'm betting not.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
        To create sacred space you have to work at it. You can't just slap some things on a surface and forget about them with a distracted little 'oh here you go' offering every now and then and expect it to be sacred space. There are lots of ways to help create sacred space, but they all involve regular work. Spend just five minutes there each day consciously doing spiritual thinking there will change the energy of the altar. Burning incense, smudging (recaning in Old English, if you want a Northern term for it), burning candles, tending the altar by cleaning and tidying it, and generally ensuring that every time you approach it, you are consciously feeling reverent and 'spiritual' will all also help. Some find it helpful to treat the altar as a living thing. Or treat it like the home of your gods (which is what it's often supposed to be... their home within your home)... would you just drive by Thor's house, drop some beer at his door and run off on your other errands? I'm betting not.
        ^pretty much was I was going to say (though minus the Heathen specifics)...

I'll also add that there is nothing wrong with just using an altar as a knicknack space to hold your stuff, but if that is the case, its just a kincknack space holding your stuff, not really an altar, and you *aren't* going to have any special feeling there (and that is okay too, if it works for you).
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

I get no vibes from my Heathen altar. It's a place I set up to put my offerings and it tends to remind me of things I need to do or of the gods. But my thoughts on them tend to be more energetic. I like the altar though . Now my ancestor altar gives off all kinds of energy. I can feel it when I walk by. But I have always thought that our ancestors are doing more for and with us then the gods. Not that the gods are not gracious or willing to work with people.

Comment

Good ideas and points from everyone, thanks. I think part of the problem as Rae'ya pointed out is not spending much time there, and the reason is probably because it is in an open area of the house (living room/dining room combo). I don't like the arrangement but there's really nowhere else in the house. I wish I had an attic room, or a spare bedroom. It's probably a catch-22... I don't spend enough time there, I don't feel a connection there, so I don't spend time there. It's true I feel a connection with the gods wherever else I am, but I think that if I want to include the altar in that feeling of connection (and I would like to), I think I'll begin making a habit of spending regular time there. I can definitely start by keeping my hammer pendant there instead of on my bedroom dresser. I say prayers when I put the hammer on, so I can do that at the altar, draw runes offer, some b'fast food and drink (grains, juice, fruit), and even light a tiny candle and incense. I'm glad I brought this up.
            śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
            śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Working...
            X