A seax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A seax?

I would like to have a seax for my altar. One of the things to offer Thor is weapons, according to this page Thor's Shrine: Making Offerings to Thor

I found what is actually an athame. I don't know if there is anything wrong in having an athame as a stand-in for a seax. This is a small athame I found. It comes with both edges sharpened. It comes with a sheath. It is 6" long. A true seax usually has a single-edged blade.
    • Good idea?
    • Bad idea?
    • Meh, don't bother.

śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Re: A seax?

If you want a replica seax, try this:

Seax

Their weapons are pretty good quality - at least as good as those of the actual time period.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

That is a beauty! I'd love something like that. Unfortunately it's way out of my price range. But for something of that quality, I might just save up my pennies.

Comment

I have a boot knife that looks exactly like that. It didn't come sharpened (sadly), but it only cost me ten bucks. I'd say ten bucks is good if you're broke (which I am).
        Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Hey, I know poor church mice that have more money than I do. rofl I'm so broke I can't even pay attention.

Comment

The knife you have pictured is a sgian dubh, a Scottish style blade (I do/have owned several). Check this site for reasonable prices and great service:

I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
            Clan of my Clan
            Kin of my Kin
            Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
            And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Thanks. I've stumbled on that site before... nice stuff!

I particularly like this one, it's a beauty:

It occurred to me that it would be a shame and a waste to simply lay it on the altar unused, like a decoration. I think it would be my tool of choice when cooking things Thor would like. I suppose people do use them.
              Attached Files

Comment

Here's a nice one for about $80:

Beagnoth Seax
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Here's another website that sells Viking Age replicas. They have a range of weapons and knives, including cutlery knives. I've linked to the 'knives' page but there's LOTS of other stuff at this store, at a range of prices. They also have drinking horns at US$20 or so.

My feeling about weapons and knives as offerings is that they don't have to be Viking Age or Northern (and frankly, an exotic weapon may have more novelty factor as an offering as it's something the deity may not have seen before and would therefore be more interesting to them) but that (as you've mentioned) they should be functional. Which kind of precludes a knife sitting on an altar doing nothing. That just kind of... makes it not a weapon anymore, you know? So if you're going to get a knife, I would personally ensure that I was using it. Can't use it as a weapon, obviously, but you can use a knife (as opposed to a sword or dagger) in at least part of it's original purpose... as a multipurpose tool for eating, carving runes, hunting etc. Treat it like an actual blade, keep it sharp etc. Personally I like blunt replica weapons... but I like them for me, not as offerings to my deities. If it's being used as a symbol only, then I personally use small items that are obviously symbols and not pretend blades, if that makes sense.

Other options for Thorr may be a drinking horn, a Viking Age cutlery set (he does like to feast) or a hammer.

Comment

Awesome, thanks folks. Oh my gods, Jelling Dragon... I love that site. I'm drooling over their custom made knives, and everything else. I got my bronze Mjolnir pendant from them. They are very good. I like that their knives are smaller, easier to use as a tool. The one I'd like from the other site is 16" long. That's a chef's knife! I would definitely use that in cooking, and so help me gods, no one, and I mean no one else in the house will ever lay hands on it! I would indeed keep it sharp, but not with a whetstone. That's contraindicated for Thor because he has that shrapnel in his head from the fight with Hrungnir. But I have a steel and an electric sharpener. I got my horn from somewhere else, but it is pretty much the same as theirs. I do use it. I ordered the small, but the guy sent me the medium for the same price, with the stand.

sn_small_kai_hammer_t.jpg 412nR0KXftL._SX425_.jpg

Btw, I got a hammer too. I ordered it from eBay. I keep it on the altar. I sanded off the Genuine Hickory, and may carve the runes for Thorr vigi, ("[may]Thorr bless").

mHnT1STRrLtQuwfIb3iCrzg.jpg

Comment

sort of off topic...but I always wanted this for a handfasting:

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

That's beautiful... never seen anything like that.

Comment

Take a look here - if these pieces are authentic, they are cheaper than I could charge to make one.

Very, very, very nice alter bit.

AncientPeoples
                          Purveyors of Authentic Items from the Ancient World

Comment

Really interesting stuff there.

I did order this from Kult of Athena. I ordered it sharpened. I can't wait to get it. I made room for it on the altar, but as I said, I will definitely use it.

AH4170N.jpg

Comment

I should have sent you there...

They have the same items by the same makers at a big savings...

Comment

Working...
                              X