Hypothyroidism...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hypothyroidism...

On Wednesday I was diagnosed with having hypothyroidism which was actually a relief to hear. From what limited research I've done on it so far, it seems to explain a lot of what I've been going through for a long time. I have to go back for another blood draw because they want to run a bigger panel of tests, now knowing what they should be looking for. I'm actually surprised that they haven't done this sooner... But that's not really what I want to talk about.

What I would like to know, from those of you who either live with this and/or know of it by proxy (someone you know has it/you work with people who have it):
    (PLEASE - Answer only if you're comfortable doing so or PM me of you don't want to discuss it publicly.)

1. What medication was prescribed?
    2. Has it worked?
    3. Did it require any lifestyle changes to complement the medication or no?
    4. What symptoms has it treated the most?
    5. If there are other conditions, has the hypothyroidism treatment helped improve those, too?
    6. Do you have any dietary recommendations to help supplement successful treatment?

That's all I have for right now.

I'm really looking forward to getting this figured out but I'm also afraid I may be getting my hopes up too high and kind of just want to brace myself for any possible hurdles that come with this.

Sent from my mobile device using Forum Runner
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Re: Hypothyroidism...

I am hypothyroid, as is most of my family. It tends to run in families. I also went for years with a doctor telling me I was "borderline". That's like being borderline pregnant... either you are or you aren't. Anyway it was his younger associate who finally determined I was truly hypothyroid and started me on medication. That was about 25 years ago.

So, with no further ado...

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
    1. What medication was prescribed?
    2. Has it worked?
    3. Did it require any lifestyle changes to complement the medication or no?
    4. What symptoms has it treated the most?
    5. If there are other conditions, has the hypothyroidism treatment helped improve those, too?
    6. Do you have any dietary recommendations to help supplement successful treatment?
    1. Synthetic T4, known as Synthroid, Levoxyl, Levothroid; synthetic T3, known as Cytomel. Not everyone takes Cytomel, but I wasn't converting T4 to T3 efficiently. T4 is the "storage" form of thyroid hormone; T3 is the metabolically active form.
    2. Yes, for the most part. Understand that at most two thyroid hormones are prescribed, but the normally functioning thyroid produces other hormones (yes Virginia, there is a T1 and a T2 ) but they are not prescribed. They technology to mimic a normal thyroid doesn't exist. So we manage and control this, not cure it.
    3. Hypothyroids tend to not use calories very well. Yes, it's a matter of calories in v. calories out but we have to work harder at it with diet control and exercise.
    4. Fatigue, lethargy, some depression, some weight loss, muscle aches. There are a host of symptoms but not everyone experiences all of them. Hair loss is one symptom, feeling cold, just to name a few.
    5. Most definitely... it controls cholesterol levels, blood sugar levels. Hey, it's the master metabolic hormone!
    6. Lower your carb intake, especially grains. But not too low... carbs are needed to convert T4 to T3. Probably most importantly, limit the amount of soy, if any, that you use. Soy binds with thyroid hormones making them unavailable. Now, for the euthyroid (normal) person this is not a problem because their bodies regulate the amount of thyroid hormone needed. We can't do that. If someone is hellbent for leather on using lots of soy, they should let their doctor know so the dosage can be adjusted properly.

Something further... the Total T3 and T3 Uptake reports are useless. They mean nothing, they are old, outdated and bogus tests but doctors still use them. The best reports are Free T4 and Free T3. Too many doctors also rely too heavily on only TSH. And! the optimal range for TSH is 1-2. If TSH shows at 4.7, for example, and your doctor says you're normal but you still feel like crap... guess what... it's not normal. The range is outdated and bogus. The best doctor to treat this is a metabolic endocrinologist (most endos only treat diabetes), or a doctor who is open-minded and cutting edge in his/her approach.
    śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Levothyroxine is what they put me on.

Lots of symptoms that match asthma and Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).
      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

On Wednesday I was diagnosed with having hypothyroidism which was actually a relief to hear. From what limited research I've done on it so far, it seems to explain a lot of what I've been going through for a long time. I have to go back for another blood draw because they want to run a bigger panel of tests, now knowing what they should be looking for. I'm actually surprised that they haven't done this sooner... But that's not really what I want to talk about.
        I'm glad you've got a diagnosis, Juni! Now you can start managing things, which should lead to you feeling better.

I know about HypoT in dogs, but as you're a person that's not very helpful . My mum was having issues with her thyroid for a while, but I suspect it was a misdiagnosis because she went from HyperT to HypoT (I suspect because of the HyperT medication) and finally took herself off everything because it all made her feel worse and is now 'normal' again. So I guess my only practical advice is to get yourself under the care of an endocrinologist if possible (not sure how the medical and insurance system over there facilitates that?) and monitor yourself closely. If you aren't feeling better or if things start to swing in the other direction, get onto your doc ASAP and push them to sort it out. It's very easy for GP's to see HypoT or HyperT and stick you on a pill, but ignore the other effects that a whacked out thyroid can have on the body. So pay attention to yourself. Maybe keep a log of how you're feeling each day if you can remember... that will help you to see trends and symptoms. In the initial period you may need multiple blood tests to monitor whether the dosage of medication is correct. One medication dose doesn't suit everyone... there is a bit of trial and error to start with, based on how your individual body is responding.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorbjorn View Post
          I am hypothyroid, as is most of my family. It tends to run in families. I also went for years with a doctor telling me I was "borderline". That's like being borderline pregnant... either you are or you aren't. Anyway it was his younger associate who finally determined I was truly hypothyroid and started me on medication. That was about 25 years ago.

So, with no further ado...

[*]Synthetic T4, known as Synthroid, Levoxyl, Levothroid; synthetic T3, known as Cytomel. Not everyone takes Cytomel, but I wasn't converting T4 to T3 efficiently. T4 is the "storage" form of thyroid hormone; T3 is the metabolically active form.[*]Yes, for the most part. Understand that at most two thyroid hormones are prescribed, but the normally functioning thyroid produces other hormones (yes Virginia, there is a T1 and a T2 ) but they are not prescribed. They technology to mimic a normal thyroid doesn't exist. So we manage and control this, not cure it.[*]Hypothyroids tend to not use calories very well. Yes, it's a matter of calories in v. calories out but we have to work harder at it with diet control and exercise.[*]Fatigue, lethargy, some depression, some weight loss, muscle aches. There are a host of symptoms but not everyone experiences all of them. Hair loss is one symptom, feeling cold, just to name a few.[*]Most definitely... it controls cholesterol levels, blood sugar levels. Hey, it's the master metabolic hormone! [*]Lower your carb intake, especially grains. But not too low... carbs are needed to convert T4 to T3. Probably most importantly, limit the amount of soy, if any, that you use. Soy binds with thyroid hormones making them unavailable. Now, for the euthyroid (normal) person this is not a problem because their bodies regulate the amount of thyroid hormone needed. We can't do that. If someone is hellbent for leather on using lots of soy, they should let their doctor know so the dosage can be adjusted properly.

Something further... the Total T3 and T3 Uptake reports are useless. They mean nothing, they are old, outdated and bogus tests but doctors still use them. The best reports are Free T4 and Free T3. Too many doctors also rely too heavily on only TSH. And! the optimal range for TSH is 1-2. If TSH shows at 4.7, for example, and your doctor says you're normal but you still feel like crap... guess what... it's not normal. The range is outdated and bogus. The best doctor to treat this is a metabolic endocrinologist (most endos only treat diabetes), or a doctor who is open-minded and cutting edge in his/her approach.
          That's really awesome information. I hadn't gotten to the nitty gritty sciency part of the condition yet so I found this very interesting. Thank you for the doctor suggestion, too. I think the gal I have been seeing recently seems open minded enough, to see where she goes with this, for now. But I've read a few times that endocrinologists are also the doctor to go see about PCOS (ploy-cystic ovarian syndrome), which I also have, in addition to insulin resistance.

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post

I'm glad you've got a diagnosis, Juni! Now you can start managing things, which should lead to you feeling better.

I know about HypoT in dogs, but as you're a person that's not very helpful . My mum was having issues with her thyroid for a while, but I suspect it was a misdiagnosis because she went from HyperT to HypoT (I suspect because of the HyperT medication) and finally took herself off everything because it all made her feel worse and is now 'normal' again. So I guess my only practical advice is to get yourself under the care of an endocrinologist if possible (not sure how the medical and insurance system over there facilitates that?) and monitor yourself closely. If you aren't feeling better or if things start to swing in the other direction, get onto your doc ASAP and push them to sort it out. It's very easy for GP's to see HypoT or HyperT and stick you on a pill, but ignore the other effects that a whacked out thyroid can have on the body. So pay attention to yourself. Maybe keep a log of how you're feeling each day if you can remember... that will help you to see trends and symptoms. In the initial period you may need multiple blood tests to monitor whether the dosage of medication is correct. One medication dose doesn't suit everyone... there is a bit of trial and error to start with, based on how your individual body is responding.
          I'm so glad, too. I really fell like a burden has been lifted off my shoulders. The more I hear about it, the more I realize that this diagnosis should have happened a long time ago and probably would have saved me a great deal of emotional breakdowns. But all I can do now is move forward and make the best of what I get. Great advice about keeping a mood journal (aka diary? Lol). Tracking this will be interesting for me, for sure.

Sent from my mobile device using Forum Runner
          �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
          Sneak Attack

Comment

That's really awesome information. I hadn't gotten to the nitty gritty sciency part of the condition yet so I found this very interesting. Thank you for the doctor suggestion, too. I think the gal I have been seeing recently seems open minded enough, to see where she goes with this, for now. But I've read a few times that endocrinologists are also the doctor to go see about PCOS (ploy-cystic ovarian syndrome), which I also have, in addition to insulin resistance.
            Well, I'm a geek from way back. I am glad you are confident in your doc. That is really important. I have insulin resistance also... actually it's Metabolic Syndrome if there are 4 or 5 accompanying issues in any combination... high cholesterol, high triglycerides, high b.p., abdominal fat. I have all those except the high b.p. As a male I don't have to deal with PCOS, but that is definitely something that goes along with hypot. I understand many women who are hypot suffer through it. Best of luck, and do keep us posted.
            śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
            śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

I have hypothyroidism too. They diagnosed me when I was in my early teens. I take synthroid for it. The general name is levothyroxine. You can go to synthroid.com to find out the side effects, etc...
              Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

1. What medication was prescribed? I take Synthroid since I was diagnosed 10 years ago. They had to tweek the dosage till we got a balance.
                2. Has it worked? Yes, if you miss a day or two of doses you will notice.
                3. Did it require any lifestyle changes to complement the medication or no? You need to just look at what you can and can't do with the meds. Like not eat for a hour after you take it, drink water with it, don't take vitamins with it.
                4. What symptoms has it treated the most? Sleepiness. I get exhausted when I don't take it, It's hard for me to stay away once I am sleepy when I do.
                5. If there are other conditions, has the hypothyroidism treatment helped improve those, too? None for me. I don't have anything else,
                6. Do you have any dietary recommendations to help supplement successful treatment? None I am aware of

Comment

I wish I could help, but the only "person" I've ever known with a formal diagnosis was my cat and we took her to a fancy vet 2 hours who helped us get it under control. She's doing ok now.

But I am glad to hear that you've found at least one answer for your recent misery and that you can start taking the steps to alleviate those symptoms and get back on your feet. Kudos for adulting (yep, creating a word) up and going to the doctor to get some blood drawn. I have a really hard time forcing myself to go to the doctor for stupid little things, needles make me run for the hills.

Comment

I have hypothryoidism as well (since my early teens). Mine is an immune disorder, rather than a familial thing. The biggest thing is to stay on top oF your meds and your labs. My endocrinologist thinks my still birth was likely a result of my meds not being right during the early part of my pregnancy (late 2nd/early 3rd trimester stillbirth is common in undiagnose and poorly managed hypothyroidism).

='M on the phone, annd we all know how much that annoys the crap out of me for posting, so I'll come back to this.specially the girly issues, because there are a ton of them.
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

I have decide to give Juni a 'Nick name....Ya know I do these things from time to time...Ok...Juni is now "Sweet pea" May the sky honor and acknowledge this christening using the water of life,pure beer....So it be said,so let it be.
                      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Lol Anu. I hate peas, though. :/
                        Sneak Attack

Comment

So,perhaps you like instead "Sweet Tea"?

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                            So,perhaps you like instead "Sweet Tea"?
                            Nope, I like unsweetened tea. But I do like honey.
                            Sneak Attack

Comment

ok doki,we gonna go with honey chile...My final offer....

So...........

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                              X