This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remembering ChainLightning

I wanted to close the Healing thread for Chain because I thought it would really suck to have that thread revived by some unsuspecting and well-wishing returning member or newbie that didn't read the whole way through before posting their well wishes....

Also because I wanted to do two things here--1) offer a space for us to remember Chain and 2) coordinate our own memorial of his life. I know his family is going through the stress and complicated business of dealing with his death, and I expect Juni will be posting about helping them out with the material aspect of that later.

In the mean time, since we are a global community, and spread out over mutiple timezones, I thought that we could coordinate a moment of rememberance that will travel around the world:

I propose that as you are able, at 8pm Friday, Saturday, and Sunday of your local timezone, you take a moment or two or twenty, in whatever way that is in accordance with your beliefs and practices, to remember our friend. (I picked doing this over three days because its a good number, and it will let more folks participate, I hope...also, if we wait a few days to start it, it will give us time to contact some of our less active members)

What every you choose to do, and whatever thoughts you have for Chain, for his family, etc, can go here. Pictures, offerings, prayers, etc... For many of us, this is nothing short of heartbreaking. I've known (and argued and agreed with and grumbled at and comisserated with) Chain for about 10 years...for Medusa and a few others, its been even longer. Some of you have known him for a shorter time, and others maybe not at all...and that's okay too.

But it should be known that everything that this forum is and strives to be--a place where all religions are to be treated with respect (not just Pagan ones), where magic lives side by side with reason, where we debate the idea and not the person, and where we don't piss on the carpet is due in large share to this man.

~Thalassa

Last edited by thalassa; 07 Jan 2015, 07:11.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Remembering ChainLightning

I am feeling truly bummed right at the moment,gonna need some time to process this fully. I might tend to be a bit quiet on the forum for a while..
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
      I am feeling truly bummed right at the moment,gonna need some time to process this fully. I might tend to be a bit quiet on the forum for a while..
      Same for me.
      "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

All I can think about is how many years of his friendship I wasted at the end - all the day-to-day stresses of life kept me from keeping in touch with all my friends here. I'm at least grateful that I was around for just days before he couldn't chat anymore. I wish I could have said goodbye, but I just took for granted that he would just always be around. He was part of the heart of PF before I got here, and he'll always be part of our hearts for everything he did for us. Yeah, he was a grumpy old man, but the guy cared about all of us who came here and gave everyone a chance. He's helped me in so many ways, and I'm going to miss him.

Comment

Although I never had the pleasure of meeting Chain, I know I would have enjoyed his company here. You've all spoken so fondly of him as a dear friend and family, and I wish I could have known him as many of you did. My deepest respects.
          "By yarrow and rue, and my redcap too."

Comment

I just found out and rushed here, the only place I ever really 'knew' him.

Chain is a legend. I am too useless to do much more than cry and lay in bed, but I'll post something more appropriate when it's sunk in.

He helped without asking in return.
            He made the weak remember their strength.
            He was bold and sensitive simultaneously.

To Chain. He lives forever in us.
            No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Although it's been about a year since I joined the forum, I've only recently become active. I wish I had been active since the beginning so I could have gotten a chance to know him; from what everyone has said, he's sounds like a great man and friend.

I'm so sorry for everyone's loss...

Comment

I had to look at my profile to see when I joined up here - it's been 4 years. I thought it was longer, somehow. I feel like I've known you guys forever (in a good way) and I'm glad I got to know Chain over that time.
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Grumpy grumpy Chain, he's being grumpier and happier somewhere else now. He will be remembered dearly. If it weren't for the community (he and others) created here, I would probably be in the streets right now. I owe this forum and this man a lot.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

I think I'm still in shock, to be honest. We sort of had an inkling what was on the horizon, and for me it's been a bitter-sweet mix. That we'll lose him, but that he'll be free of the limits of physical reality and can go and do and be what as he wishes.

But all that's coming to mind the last day or so is how he was the one who first really reached out to me on this forum, whose humor I really understood, and whose non-BS attitude toward inappropriate behaviors on the forum made me really respect him, the forum, and the safe and community-oriented atmosphere here. Short and sweet his methods when dealing with people that even I would have handled poorly, but he always wished the best and was the first to uphold what was really important here- the individuals, and their right to express themselves freely, be themselves, and explore what was important to them unhindered.

I keep kicking myself that I never made the effort to drive the 30 minutes out to see him back in the fall, and I really wish I had made that happen. Even the hospital he was staying in is only about a 15 minute drive from here. Somehow, I think he'd forgive me for that though.

Comment

I took a walk today. It's beautiful out. The sky is blue as water. The white clouds puffy. So beautiful. I tried to enjoy it. To see it. I saw it I guess. Just quietly. I'm not ready to look at the sky.
                      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I haven't said anything, because I don't really have anything to say. He was here, and now he's not; I don't know how I feel about it.

I'm sorry to everyone who spent today in bed crying.

Mostly art.

Comment

Chain absolutely terrified me at first. My first day he called me out for being a spammer (I wasn't - I just didn't understand how to answer more than one post at a time.) We once argued long and hard about Wikipedia and Ordinance Survey maps (in the same thread). But gradually, as I got to know him, I got to understand what a great bloke he was and is - because I don't think Death can change that. And I know he could seem grumpy while at the same time possessing one of the kindest hearts on the planet.

Because I personally believe in an afterlife, and in reincarnation, I can't be sorry that Chain has moved on because now he'll be free from pain and I know he's still around somewhere giving the seraphim a bollocking.

And I also believe he will send a sign to let everyone know he's okay. Just as we cared and still care for Chain, so he cared and stilll cares for us.
                          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Raphaeline View Post
                            All I can think about is how many years of his friendship I wasted at the end - all the day-to-day stresses of life kept me from keeping in touch with all my friends here.
                            I don't think I could have said this better.
                            I am full of regrets, and one of the biggest is that I haven't been around. Chain has been there for me for so long, always in the background just keeping tabs, making sure I'm ok. I wish I had done the same for him. He will always have a place in my heart. I know many of you won't know me, I have been extremely absent for the past few years, but I think now is the time to be with my PF family.

I realise this post seems a little selfish, but at the minute this is just how I am feeling.

Comment

I remember you...so there...
                              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                              X