I wonder if Thor would do this, or use this approach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if Thor would do this, or use this approach

I made a solemn promise to him I would work towards reaching my fitness and physique goals. I am not a bodybuilder (too fat), nor a power lifter (too weak) though I train in both styles. I have about 30 lbs to lose and a particular set of measurements and body fat % as a goal I set for myself.

I promised him I would do this, with his help. I admit it's a bit selfish because I want to do the Alpha Male Swagger this summer at the beach. I offered it first. That is, I didn't say "If you give me X, I will do X". I said "OK, I know I need to do this and I will dedicate it to you; I only ask that you help me stay on track". With the exception of two weeks of family issues, I know family is very important, I have been keeping my promise. My lifts, which I dedicate to him have improved greatly, and I thank him for helping me.

Now, here comes the part I am wondering about if this is his approach to help and spur me on. At another fitness, weight training and bodybuilding site I have been publicly ripped to shreds by a few of the really jacked (read juiced) bb'ers about my current physique. Improvements I make, reaching my goal and fulfilling my promise has nothing to do with these pompous asses, who are claiming it is "tough love". My promise was made before I engaged in those conversations. But I wonder if this came along at this time sort of as a booster shot from Thor as his way of keeping me motivated. At first blush it seems to be a somewhat mean approach, which I can't believe he would do. On the other hand, these personal attacks have caused other people to come to my defense and cheer me on. So in that respect, I can understand him sending them my way.

Does any of this make sense?
    śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Re: I wonder if Thor would do this, or use this approach

I can see that, for sure, but do you come away from these encounters feeling motivated, or that a bunch of douchers just wasted your time by being jerks?
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Both and neither (I told you I'm not making sense ). In a way I feel hurt because they may be right, and the truth does hurt. But I feel humiliated because it's done publicly. See, I have let myself slip up quite often. That was one of the reasons for making the promise. I know I can't go back on it, and I think that if I have a sincere heart the Big Guy will help. But I won't give them the satisfaction of letting them think that it was they who spurred me on. They are pompous and full of themselves enough to think so. I made it very clear that the progress I make is not because of them, but because of a promise I made. I didn't mention it was to Thor, though what's one more thing to be ridiculed by them for? I'm more about not letting Thor down, and about validating the cheering I got from my friendly peeps. I know Thor doesn't play games or like subterfuge, so it may very well be coincidence. I just wasn't sure.

Comment

First, good luck with it
        I don't know, if it actually motivates you, then it may be. You don't have to dig deep to find jerks though, maybe he's just lending you the strength to cope with them and keep your motivation
        You remind me of the babe
        What babe?
        The babe with the power
        What power?
        The Power of voodoo
        Who do?
        You do!
        Do what?
        Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Yeah iris, I like that... I mean, Ivana Trump did say "Liffing vell iss de best refench". Maybe he knows I'll dig even deeper into myself to succeed.
          Last edited by Thorbjorn; 26 Jan 2015, 11:06. Reason: Original was just too wordy and non-sensical.

Comment

People are people at the end of the day and not all interactions would be influenced by the Gods. However if I were to say which God it would be I would likely put it to Loki than Thor. I have always seen Thor as direct, yes Thor could use that as a way of testing your will or feeding you the drive to push harder but I would have felt that his drive is more direct and personal. At least that is how I have had contact. Whereas Loki would rather dissuade you from achieving something that you have dedicated to Thor.

The Gods expect us to stand tall and be strong, if you give into random bullying then your honor, strength and dedication is damaged. That is what Loki influences, the opposite of what the Gods want from us.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorbjorn View Post
              I made a solemn promise to him I would work towards reaching my fitness and physique goals. I am not a bodybuilder (too fat), nor a power lifter (too weak) though I train in both styles. I have about 30 lbs to lose and a particular set of measurements and body fat % as a goal I set for myself.

I promised him I would do this, with his help. I admit it's a bit selfish because I want to do the Alpha Male Swagger this summer at the beach. I offered it first. That is, I didn't say "If you give me X, I will do X". I said "OK, I know I need to do this and I will dedicate it to you; I only ask that you help me stay on track". With the exception of two weeks of family issues, I know family is very important, I have been keeping my promise. My lifts, which I dedicate to him have improved greatly, and I thank him for helping me.

Now, here comes the part I am wondering about if this is his approach to help and spur me on. At another fitness, weight training and bodybuilding site I have been publicly ripped to shreds by a few of the really jacked (read juiced) bb'ers about my current physique. Improvements I make, reaching my goal and fulfilling my promise has nothing to do with these pompous asses, who are claiming it is "tough love". My promise was made before I engaged in those conversations. But I wonder if this came along at this time sort of as a booster shot from Thor as his way of keeping me motivated. At first blush it seems to be a somewhat mean approach, which I can't believe he would do. On the other hand, these personal attacks have caused other people to come to my defense and cheer me on. So in that respect, I can understand him sending them my way.

Does any of this make sense?
              You should ask him. By all accounts Thorr is terrible at subterfuge so you should be able to figure out the answer even if doesn't give you a straight yes or no.

Though my impression is that you're probably over thinking it a bit... it's a body building forum... it's gonna be full of pompous jerks who get off on wrapping up their pompous jerkness in 'tough love'. You can't turn around on the internet without there being a pompous jerk trying to get one up on you. I personally wouldn't read anything into that at all.

Also, I wonder if you're getting a little too caught up in the 'I'm not gonna give them the satisfaction' thing. We're all guilty of that... and I myself get that urge to stick it to someone just 'cos I want to shove their smugness up their noses. But that's rarely a helpful attitude to have and hinders our goals more often than it helps them.

Comment

Thanks, these are great insights. I'm glad I asked.

Originally posted by Rags View Post
                People are people at the end of the day and not all interactions would be influenced by the Gods. However if I were to say which God it would be I would likely put it to Loki than Thor. I have always seen Thor as direct, yes Thor could use that as a way of testing your will or feeding you the drive to push harder but I would have felt that his drive is more direct and personal. At least that is how I have had contact. Whereas Loki would rather dissuade you from achieving something that you have dedicated to Thor.
                I think you are right, in thinking about it. When I made the promise to Thor it hit me like the proverbial thunderbolt. It was almost like him saying "Hey look, I want you to do this for yourself". I immediately felt it was the right way to go and felt (imperfect tense, still feeling it... linguistics geek at work ) really warm and fuzzy about it.

The Gods expect us to stand tall and be strong, if you give into random bullying then your honor, strength and dedication is damaged. That is what Loki influences, the opposite of what the Gods want from us.
                I never thought it could be Loki playing with my head. There was a time I would have thrown in the towel. Whoever or whatever was playing games with me would have won. Over the weekend I was pretty pissed off at something, something that would have made me blow off the gym. Instead, I did go and I had a great workout. I didn't even have to drag myself there, or drag myself through the workout. In a word I kicked ass, and I know it was Thor cheering me on. Yes, I think I was in danger of losing my honor and my faith in Thor.

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                You should ask him. By all accounts Thorr is terrible at subterfuge so you should be able to figure out the answer even if doesn't give you a straight yes or no.
                And after these few days, I may have figured it out. Or rather he has let me know. Other people are his friends and protectees also, whether they know it or not. He may have said to them (the ones who did and do cheer me on) "he [meaning me] knows you people your intentions and trusts you". When they turned on these other two pompous asses, I think that was pretty telling. It's even more telling that I see it now. I think that's pretty direct.

Though my impression is that you're probably over thinking it a bit... it's a body building forum... it's gonna be full of pompous jerks who get off on wrapping up their pompous jerkness in 'tough love'. You can't turn around on the internet without there being a pompous jerk trying to get one up on you. I personally wouldn't read anything into that at all.
                Of course I'm overthinking it... I'm bipolar with ocpd and gad. Overthinking goes without saying. You may also be right about it being nothing more than pompous jerks. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, to use a hackneyed phrase.

Also, I wonder if you're getting a little too caught up in the 'I'm not gonna give them the satisfaction' thing. We're all guilty of that... and I myself get that urge to stick it to someone just 'cos I want to shove their smugness up their noses. But that's rarely a helpful attitude to have and hinders our goals more often than it helps them.
                Yes, it gives them too much control and takes up too much room in my head. I did say to one of them that it's stupid to take someone seriously whose face I've never even seen. In a way that wouldn't get me an infraction there for an ad hominem, I worded it so that I basically said "you have no credibility, so shove your opinions... ".

Comment

Just to give a little update on how things work(ed) out, He talked to me. Or rather, He gave me my marching orders. You know I mentioned the 30 lbs, the promise to keep working out, the goals, etc. Well, I've known for years it's almost impossible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time (cannot serve two masters sort of thing ). I was in the kitchen the other day thinking (OK, stressing) about my diet and being fat (OK, so I'm not obese) when He whacked me upside the head. It went something like this:

Thor: You want to grow and get bigger, right? Gain back your strength, right?
                  Me: Yes, of course. You know everything got shot to Hel when I had back and shoulder surgery.
                  Thor: Then for White Christ's sake, eat! Eat like a man. You have to eat to grow. You can cut later [I don't think he actually said "White Christ" or "cut" ].

I know he doesn't mean for me to go ape-shit with nachos, beer (I guess unless I share the beer with him lol), and junk food. Eat clean, but eat. So, the opinions of the guys-sticking-needles-in-their-butts be damned, I know what the Big Guy is telling me, and I think it's better to listen to Him.

Comment

Just to give a little update on how things work(ed) out, He talked to me. Or rather, He gave me my marching orders. You know I mentioned the 30 lbs, the promise to keep working out, the goals, etc. Well, I've known for years it's almost impossible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time (cannot serve two masters sort of thing ). I was in the kitchen the other day thinking (OK, stressing) about my diet and being fat (OK, so I'm not obese) when He whacked me upside the head. It went something like this:

Thor: You want to grow and get bigger, right? Gain back your strength, right?
                    Me: Yes, of course. You know everything got shot to Hel when I had back and shoulder surgery.
                    Thor: Then for White Christ's sake, eat! Eat like a man. You have to eat to grow. You can cut later [I don't think he actually said "White Christ" or "cut" ].

I know he doesn't mean for me to go ape-shit with nachos, beer (I guess unless I share the beer with him lol), and junk food. Eat clean, but eat. So, the opinions of the guys-sticking-needles-in-their-butts be damned, I know what the Big Guy is telling me, and I think it's better to listen to Him.
                    Ha ha! I'm glad he gave you the smack up the side of the head you were looking for :P

Sorry I came into this late (stoopid working and making money) but my general thoughts were those dudebros on your body building/working out forum were maybe Thor's way of saying "Everything in moderation. Don't let the goal overpower who you and who you want to be". It's a sad fact of life, but some people get 'better' only to turn out to be real jerks when they get there.

I'm glad you're planning on eating properly and that you didn't let those guys get you down.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverShadow View Post
                      Ha ha! I'm glad he gave you the smack up the side of the head you were looking for :P

Sorry I came into this late (stoopid working and making money) but my general thoughts were those dudebros on your body building/working out forum were maybe Thor's way of saying "Everything in moderation. Don't let the goal overpower who you and who you want to be". It's a sad fact of life, but some people get 'better' only to turn out to be real jerks when they get there.

I'm glad you're planning on eating properly and that you didn't let those guys get you down.
                      You're right. I don't want to set too high a goal and then resent that I made the promise. I do think it was a wake-up call from Him. He's really chill and common-sensical. He knows my intention. And in thinking about it, I have no intention of giving them satisfaction one way or another... whatever the outcome. There is only one Dude I have to account to now.

Comment

You're right. I don't want to set too high a goal and then resent that I made the promise. I do think it was a wake-up call from Him. He's really chill and common-sensical. He knows my intention. And in thinking about it, I have no intention of giving them satisfaction one way or another... whatever the outcome. There is only one Dude I have to account to now.
                        That's great! And I didn't say so before, but good on you for trying to get healthier. I know it can't be easy (I come from a family with a lot of weight issues) but perseverance is the key. You'll get there!

Comment

Originally posted by SilverShadow View Post
                          That's great! And I didn't say so before, but good on you for trying to get healthier. I know it can't be easy (I come from a family with a lot of weight issues) but perseverance is the key. You'll get there!
                          Thanks for the support. I've always had a weight issue, except when I was on Weight Watchers, doing very intense exercise and lost too much weight. I looked like death on a cracker. I used to powerlift, as I mentioned, so in addition to gaining a lot of fat, I did gain a lot of muscle. Of course, as the saying goes, powerlifting is no excuse to get fat. Tbh, I don't want to get "ripped". I like the "power bear" look (oh really, ya think?... Thorbjorn: thunder bear). I think Thor wants for me what is achievable for me. Besides, I picture him as a big burly muscle bear, strong man competitor sort of like Chris Davies (note the Mjollnir pendant):

chris-davies 2.jpg

Comment

Thanks for the support. I've always had a weight issue, except when I was on Weight Watchers, doing very intense exercise and lost too much weight. I looked like death on a cracker. I used to powerlift, as I mentioned, so in addition to gaining a lot of fat, I did gain a lot of muscle. Of course, as the saying goes, powerlifting is no excuse to get fat. Tbh, I don't want to get "ripped". I like the "power bear" look (oh really, ya think?... Thorbjorn: thunder bear). I think Thor wants for me what is achievable for me. Besides, I picture him as a big burly muscle bear, strong man competitor sort of like Chris Davies (note the Mjollnir pendant):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3764[/ATTACH]

I think that's wonderful!

To be honest, I think dudes that are 'ripped' are a bit overrated. I mean, each to their own and I wouldn't turn down Ryan Reynolds for a date....

But it's not necessary for everyone, just the people who want to look like that. (And anyone who tells you that people ONLY are interested in people who are 'ripped', are lying liars).

Comment

Ryan Reynolds has a nice athletic physique, as does Hugh Jackman. Chris Hemsworth is built like a gymnast. Those guys are all well-proportioned. I'm 5'5" as I may have mentioned somewhere, with a "fireplug" build. An MD and a chiropractor both told me I have short thick bones and short thick muscles (not braggin' on myself)... a little bear. So this is what I have to - and am willing to - embrace as ME.

I was kind of tired last night and almost made an excuse to not go to the gym (Loki whispering in my ear? ), but I thought "wait a minute... would Thor or any warrior stop what he was doing because he was a bit tired - WWTD?" So, there is a difference between being tired and whiny and really needing to rest. I got in there and had a good workout.

Comment

Working...
                              X