Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Hel....

So, I like Hel.

I know she can be a bit of a divisive character, though the least divisive of any of Loki's children, and I was just wondering whether anyone had found any good books on her. I'm not so much looking for personal experiences (though those are always appreciated), as historical accounts.

I know accounts of her are few and far between. I know some people say she didn't even 'really' exist.

But what I'd like to know is generally more about her. So any help in this area would be appreciated!

Re: Oh Hel....

I would recommend having a look at Raven Kaldera's book, The Jotunbok: Working With the Giants of the Northern Tradition, in which he describes his experiences with Hela (Hel) - his Matron Deity. He goes into detail in some of his other works, too, in regards to his perception of her and the various interactions he's had with her over the years. He also has an online shrine dedicated to her - in which you can probably find some of the same information from his books:

Comment

One of the authors of "Urban Primitive", Raven Kaldera, is a devotee of Hel. He wrote a book that crosses his BDSM experiences with his devotion to Her, as well as the crossover with BDSM and spirituality in general. This is his book, if you'd like to check it out.

ETA: Hah, Torey! Great minds think alike! I'm actually recommending "Dark Moon Rising", though, another book by the same author.
      Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Asphodel Press (sorry, no link 'cos I'm on my tablet) has several books about Hela, both by Kaldera and several others. The online shrine Torey linked is also a good place. The devotion and worship of Hela is not uncommon amongst Northern Tradition folk.

As far as academic texts go... I don't know of any that specifically deal with Hela, but HR Ellis Davidson has a book called The Road To Hel which deals with the Northern death options from an anthropologic perspective. I've only skimmed it myself but I'd say thats a good place to start.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
          Asphodel Press (sorry, no link 'cos I'm on my tablet) has several books about Hela, both by Kaldera and several others. The online shrine Torey linked is also a good place. The devotion and worship of Hela is not uncommon amongst Northern Tradition folk.

As far as academic texts go... I don't know of any that specifically deal with Hela, but HR Ellis Davidson has a book called The Road To Hel which deals with the Northern death options from an anthropologic perspective. I've only skimmed it myself but I'd say thats a good place to start.
          OoOOOOoOOoo I'm always interested in a bit o'academic reading (because I'm a nerd :P) Thanks for pointing me in that direction, I'm sure it will be helpful! I like to at least know what the traditions were, even if I can't/won't follow them now....It gives me a good grounding for moving forward.

Habbalah and Torey, thank you as well! I had read Raven's website, which is very interesting, I'll be interested to see whether I have similar experiences. I'll also have to look into those books.

And just a general thank you, I was a bit worried asking about things in relation to Hel. As I said in my intro, I'm not a Lokean but I have nothing against them either. Unfortunately, some people have MAJOR issues with that sort of thing and I'd held off asking for a little bit because I really didn't want to have to have a big fight about why I'd decided to just look into this area of the Norse belief system. (It may turn out to be nothing, I might be like "Oh, so this....turns out it's not my thing").

So, thank you all for your help!

Comment

We rarely see big fights over choice of divinity to look into here SilverShadow. I won't guarantee it'll never happen but it isn't overly common.
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Fights over choice of faith are akin to seeing a unicorn while on PF.
              White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
              sigpic
              In Days of yore,
              From Britain's shore
              Wolfe the dauntless hero came
              And planted firm Britannia's flag
              On Canada's fair domain.
              Here may it wave,
              Our boast, our pride
              And joined in love together,
              The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
              The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverShadow View Post
                And just a general thank you, I was a bit worried asking about things in relation to Hel. As I said in my intro, I'm not a Lokean but I have nothing against them either. Unfortunately, some people have MAJOR issues with that sort of thing and I'd held off asking for a little bit because I really didn't want to have to have a big fight about why I'd decided to just look into this area of the Norse belief system. (It may turn out to be nothing, I might be like "Oh, so this....turns out it's not my thing").
                For the most part, the Heathens here are PF are either the accepting open minded kind, or are actually Northern Tradition folk or Lokeans. We see very few hardcore recon types, which are usually the ones that create drama about which Northern deities are or aren't acceptable to worship, and how to worship them. So you can feel fairly safe about posting about non Aesir or Vanir deities (some people use the term Rokkr to denote the Jotnar deities, and it's a popular term amongst NT'ers). UPG is also well accepted here, as long is it's clearly labelled as UPG and the poster isn't trying to pass it off as historical fact.

Comment

Road to Hel is available as a free download here:

Jotun's Bane Kindred is an Asatru or Heathen kindred in the Kansas City Area. JBK built and maintains the Temple of Our Heathen Gods resource website. We provide hundreds of free books in our on-line Temple Library. Images of the Aesir, Vanir, and other Asatru subjects can be found in our Asatru Artwork Archive. We have resources for finding other Asatruars and Heathens in your local area. Our website is always growing and improving. This page shares 100's of free books on Asatru and Heathenry.
                  I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
                  Tribe of my Tribe
                  Clan of my Clan
                  Kin of my Kin
                  Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                  And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
                    Fights over choice of faith are akin to seeing a unicorn while on PF.
                    Wait, so you're saying I might never see a unicorn?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

:P

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                    For the most part, the Heathens here are PF are either the accepting open minded kind, or are actually Northern Tradition folk or Lokeans. We see very few hardcore recon types, which are usually the ones that create drama about which Northern deities are or aren't acceptable to worship, and how to worship them. So you can feel fairly safe about posting about non Aesir or Vanir deities (some people use the term Rokkr to denote the Jotnar deities, and it's a popular term amongst NT'ers). UPG is also well accepted here, as long is it's clearly labelled as UPG and the poster isn't trying to pass it off as historical fact.
                    I had thought that, before joining, that it looked like a pretty friendly community. You've all obviously done a great job in keeping it that way! I don't mind recon stuff as a general rule because I like to know how stuff worked back then, but I can't get down with everything that was done.

And that's wonderful to hear about the UPG. I have no problems with someone telling me their experiences, but I like to keep what it historical fact and what is someone's personal experience separate. In the past when I've gone off UPG, not knowing it was UPG, I've got all different shades of confused!

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                    Road to Hel is available as a free download here:

http://heathengods.com/library/index.htm

Thank you for that! I usually prefer to buy books, but money is a bit tight so this will come in handy.

Comment

Working...
                    X