Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Candles - how often, what for, what type and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Candles - how often, what for, what type and why?

Hi All,

Most every pagan I've met or encountered over the years has candles around and involved in everything. From people like me to light candles sooner than turning on a light or spraying air freshener through to those who use specific colours, sizes and shapes at different rituals and events - even people who dig them out for birthday and blackouts.

So I'd like to know how you use candles, and is it for a specific purposes or a certain colour, shape, scent etc. And whether candle magic or searching for the fridge door - what makes your auto-reach for the matches.

thanks

Re: Candles - how often, what for, what type and why?

Originally posted by kyteasdale View Post
    Hi All,

Most every pagan I've met or encountered over the years has candles around and involved in everything. From people like me to light candles sooner than turning on a light or spraying air freshener through to those who use specific colours, sizes and shapes at different rituals and events - even people who dig them out for birthday and blackouts.

So I'd like to know how you use candles, and is it for a specific purposes or a certain colour, shape, scent etc. And whether candle magic or searching for the fridge door - what makes your auto-reach for the matches.

thanks
    Good question I love candles, and for what purpose do I use them, let see... I use them in ritual, as I am celebrating esbates I have my own special moon candel for this purpose, tend to use different types of colours for different types of spells as each type of colours represents different areas. But I also like lighting candels while I am praying, during a meditation and when workibng with the element of fire. Still candles are a huge part of my life and I love burning them for their beauty and warmth feeling they give

I usually make my own candels, adding different spices, herbs, flowers and so on for different purposes. The same when it comes to shapes and colours. How about you, what do you use them for?

Comment

Good question.
      As far as I know, candles are used to help you concentrate on your spell work / ritual, or something that symbolize the spiritual entity you work with, whether it's a deity, spirit and so on...

As Luna said, herbs and flowers can be useful too.
      "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I agree candles can be very helpful and the scented ones can help with your state of feeling open to spirits. I myself also like incense to set the mood sometimes.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

A candle can make you feel relaxed, happy and reflective. It can help you to focus or drift off into a dream world. The light, the mood, the warmth and the atmosphere they bring with them. When a candle is lit it can give you so many feelings and enhance so many moods. Love, power, magick, celebration, joy, respect, mourning and more.

I have always loved candles. The soft light of the flame draws me in every time. I watch the flames dance about if there is a slight breeze and am completely enchanted by the warmth they give, even from the smallest of candle.
          I tend to make my own, for customary reasons. Colours and herbs have always been symbolic to me, so I will use different pigmented/scented candles for different purposes. I usually use candles a lot for clients and family if they are unwell, or sad or need someone to send them a smile. I’ll light a candle in their honour. That is just my way of doing a quick spell that I can pretty much do anywhere in my house at any given time. I light one during prayer, or give one as an offering to my deities. I even have candles in my garden walkway for when I bless my plants and vegetation.
          Candles are fantastic, and they have a big role in my every day life.
          "By yarrow and rue, and my redcap too."

Comment

I use more incense then I use candles. I enjoy candles but I guess my air sign likes the incense better. I do however have a fabulous collection of candles. I have a range of colors and sizes. I have colors to represent each element. I have Goddess candles, I have God candles, I have different phases of the moon candles. I use my candles mainly for ritual and esbates.
            "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

I use a variety of candles:

A scented votive for my working altar (to invite the Divine in).
              A tealight for each entity I'm working with. They all have Their own holder (depending on what I'm doing depends on how many I light).
              Chime candles for spells (amount and color again depend on what i'm doing).
              A white jar candle for Raphael.
              A jar candle for Michael (this one is actually dedicated to him on the glass and not plain).
              Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I use tea lights and have them all over the place. I just like the soft warm light of candles. I keep one in a decorative holder on my altar, along with an incense holder. I like incense too.
                śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
                śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

I use candles for candle magic, and I light candles on my altar most evenings. I prefer soya as that's better for the Earth than petroleum based ones, but they're very difficult to get here so unfortunately I often have to resort to the regular kind (in which case I burn them less often). I often light a candle for people who are struggling with something, or as a focus to send distance healing.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlin View Post
                    I prefer soya as that's better for the Earth than petroleum based ones, but they're very difficult to get here so unfortunately I often have to resort to the regular kind (in which case I burn them less often). I often light a candle for people who are struggling with something, or as a focus to send distance healing.
                    I used beeswax candles because soy farming is pretty awful--especially if its from the US, its all GMOs and pesticides that are banned in Europe that polute the local watersheds. And palm wax is a conservation nightmare... If you are looking for vegan options, that pretty much leaves bayberry and candelilla as more-or-less environmentally friendly. If the vegan thing doesn't concern you, beeswax is the way to go. We have a handy supply of them because we do historical reenacting.

I light candles for just about everything...
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

I am certain if I want to stay COPACETIC with nature,I should keep a weather eye on your huge knowledge base...You my dear lady,are the font of all good stuff that will insure I live forever...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                        I am certain if I want to stay COPACETIC with nature,I should keep a weather eye on your huge knowledge base...You my dear lady,are the font of all good stuff that will insure I live forever...
                        Lol...I'm just a nerd Anu, that's all...

My mom used to tell me growing up, "its not how much you know, its how well you can find something out when you don't"

I just lucked out with a halfway decent memory, that once I find something out, I usually remember it...and if I don't remember the specifics, I remember where I found it out and can find it again.

In the real world, its pretty useless...but if I ever get on Jeopardy...
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

True is as true does and life is like a box of anchovies...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Umm Anu coffee will make you live forever.. You wait and see.
                            "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                              I used beeswax candles because soy farming is pretty awful--especially if its from the US, its all GMOs and pesticides that are banned in Europe that polute the local watersheds. And palm wax is a conservation nightmare... If you are looking for vegan options, that pretty much leaves bayberry and candelilla as more-or-less environmentally friendly. If the vegan thing doesn't concern you, beeswax is the way to go. We have a handy supply of them because we do historical reenacting.

I light candles for just about everything...
                              A little off topic, but you can also make candles with vegetable shortening, and dye them and add whatever you like to them, and it's just as easy as beeswax! (Dunno how good it is from a conservation or carbon emissions standpoint, but they are nice and burn a while!)
                              http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                              ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Working...
                              X