Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who were the other main historians?

besides Snorri?

and what are the differences between them?

Re: Who were the other main historians?

Originally posted by Curious Wanderer View Post
    besides Snorri?

and what are the differences between them?
    Tacitus, who was a Roman general stationed along the Germanic front and who wrote some accounts of some of the practices of the locals and of the Germanic peoples who fought under his command.

Saxo Grammaticus, who wrote many histories, including a comprehensive history of the Danes.

Ibn Fadlan, who was an Arab who wrote some accounts on Rus traders he observed in his travels.

There is also some historical info about Anglo Saxon Heathenism in Bede's writings.

Then there are non-history historical sources like the Sagas, of which there are many. They still count as primary sources but are stories like the Eddav rather than historical accounts.

I'm sure recons have more to add, but these are the main ones.

Comment

The Liber Penitentialis are always very interesting and if anyone wants an article about that in pdf format, I would be happy to send it to you if you pm me with your email address.

The Anglo Saxon Chronicles are interesting if you want to include accounts of the Viking invasions too.
      And please don't overlook Anglo-Saxon poetry, including the riddle poems and the glosses of the Bible (this is where parts of the Christian Bible were 'translated' rather freely into Anglo-Saxon. They can give a massive amount of insight into the Anglo-Saxon mindset.) Something like 'The Wanderer' (an Anglo-Saxon poem) gives us a great deal of insight into Anglo-Saxon Paganism and into its early form of Christianity.
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I'm only just searching out historical texts at the moment too, so I don't have much more to add.

I find the Viking Answer Lady to be a nice resource of general historical knowledge, but those are more secondary sources than primary(though quite a bit of quoting of primary sources as well). From her bibliography, you might be able to glean some names to add to a list of historical sources

You probably already know this, but do be aware of writer bias when it comes to the historical stuff.

Comment

Working...
        X