Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite meads, ales, beers, and wines

Hail!
    I was wondering what my fellow folk like to drink, as well, give to the gods. I know we all have our preferences, and I know the gods of course have theirs. Brands, types, and styles all welcomed. All in good fun I suppose. I love my Merlot for wines, not too particular on the brand. Any mead will do, but it's never complete without spices. And to me, I feel regular canned beer should never be used as gifts to the gods. But that's just me.
    What are your thoughts?
    I apologize if this is the wrong spot to place this topic, but I wanted to know from brethren, and not folk at large.
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Re: Favorite meads, ales, beers, and wines

I'm a big fan of IPA's, where beer is the topic. Sierra Nevada is one (amongst many) of my favorites - the clean bitterness of the cascade hops is very nice - and, occasionally, I enjoy one of the "over hopped" varieties produced by craft brewers.

When I brew my own, I usually go for an IPA or a stout.

With wine, I'm not as particular. I tend to prefer a tuff red, but my wife hates them, so we compromise with a blush.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I've become a big fan of Yellowtail Cabernet lately. (Probably because Bolla Bardolino is hard to find around here.) I used to drink beer, but suddenly stopped about 2 years ago - just lost my taste for it.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I absolutely love strong dark red wines. Any recommendations you may have for me friend?
        - Finn's Saga

Comment

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
          I absolutely love strong dark red wines. Any recommendations you may have for me friend?

I don't know about 'strong', but I quite enjoy the Patchwork by Yalumba.

The Two Churches Shiraz is a bit stronger, quite dark and a lovely drop. (I last had the 2012 from memory... Which is foggy because I finished the whole bottle....).

Not sure if you can get them where you are. I mainly only know Aussie wines.

Comment

I apologize if this is the wrong spot to place this topic, but I wanted to know from brethren, and not folk at large.
            It is sort of the wrong place to put it. I'm not going to move it or lock it or anything (I'm not even posting in admin-red), but just as an FYI, there really aren't any __________-only topics here. If you post on ANY part of the public forum, its fair game to ANY member. Our sections are labeled on the basis of topic, not with who gets to post here. It would have been different if the topic was about what alcohol feels is appropriate at a blot or as an offering to Norse/Germanic gods...because the only people responding would probably have been folks that participate in blots and offerings to the appropriate deities. But "I only want to know what Heathens want to drink" on a multi-faith discussion board is a bit awkward. Non-Heathens read and participate on this board and are welcome to do so...so if you have something that you *only* want Heathen input on, your best bet is PM to those members you know are Heathen or posting it on another forum that is specifically Heathen, rather than pan-Pagan and multi-faith.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

I do apologize to the above. I am slightly new to this online interaction game but hey, thanks for not locking it. Appreciated friend.
              - Finn's Saga

Comment

"From the Gods to the Earth to us; from us to the Earth to the Gods. A gift for a gift, hail!"
                śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
                śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Hail!
                  I was wondering what my fellow folk like to drink, as well, give to the gods. I know we all have our preferences, and I know the gods of course have theirs. Brands, types, and styles all welcomed. All in good fun I suppose. I love my Merlot for wines, not too particular on the brand. Any mead will do, but it's never complete without spices. And to me, I feel regular canned beer should never be used as gifts to the gods. But that's just me.
                  What are your thoughts?
                  I actually don't gift my gods alcohol (I gift blood to Skuld, work on a specific set of tasks to Frigg and some other things to my non-Northern deities) and I don't actually perform any blotar or sumbl (a major reason I don't claim the term 'Heathen'). I don't work directly with deities for whom alcohol is particularly valued, but if I were to use alcohol as an offering I would tend to offer a quality boutique beer (of which we have a number of local options here) or a local version of the favoured spirit. For the novelty value if nothing else.

However I do drink mead

Unfortunately there aren't many meads readily available here in Adelaide and I've never tried to buy online. My favourite is the Honey Mead from Maxwell Wines... and while it's fermented honey it's actually more like desert wine than a 'traditional' mead. I do also like their Liqueur and spiced versions. I also like the Spicy Mead from Chateau Dorrien, which is a bit more 'traditional' and is best served warm. Both are South Australian companies, but Maxwell's is the only mead you can buy in the liquor stores here. I have to get the Chateau Dorrien one from the cellar door (in the Barossa which is a few hours drive away).

I don't drink beer but I have a better chance of getting all the way through a glass of stout than I do an ale or lager. Wine I prefer a white, usually a Semillon Savignon Blanc. I also love desert wine and fortified wine, particularly a Botrytis Semillon or Late Harvest Riesling for desert wine or a good Liqueur Muscat for fortified. I don't drink much red, and really only like a mild Merlot or maybe a Pinot Noir.

Comment

Redstone Meadery, Colorado Springs, Colorado: purveyors of fine mead. Don't know how wide their distribution is, but it's available in select liquor stores here in Oklahoma.
                    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
                    Tribe of my Tribe
                    Clan of my Clan
                    Kin of my Kin
                    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Working...
                    X