Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A trick, a test, or a cigar is just a cigar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A trick, a test, or a cigar is just a cigar?

śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Re: A trick, a test, or a cigar is just a cigar?

Its a sh*t happens world..Most of Jersey was never built expecting this kind of weather. BUt as said it does happen from time to time..When I was living up in Albany,and one winter it hit 45 in the middle of deep winter,that took a lot of people up there by surprise..stuff happens,and a cigar is a lot of times just a smoke..
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

You know, I did think that and I think you are right. The first guy from the gas company who came to the house said we haven't had this kind of a long stretch of such frigid weather since 1994. I've heard other people say the same. I was telling my husband that there is the Kloppen climate chart, but I wonder if builders in the state are smart enough to know about it, much less use it. If they do anything based on climate, they follow the minimum code requirements, which they do anyway. Like I said, I'm probably just paranoid, and my general anxiety disorder is in full swing.

Comment

I was really surprised when I got down here to Jersey at all the flat roofs,mainly in a place where it snows they build with peaked roofs...Look at the Scandinavian countries where they have the extreme A type chalets

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I vote for "this is just what life is".

My babysitter bought a house last winter, and it passed two inspections (one for the house in general, and one for the work that was done prior to going on market)...within the first month, the downstairs heater had to be replaced, pipes under the house burst, and the upstairs heater had to have major maintenance. This winter, she forgot to run water for the first cold snap and everything was okay, so she decided not to for the second...and now she not only needs new bathroom pipes, she also needs a new floor, because it was a 100 year old hardwood floor that had to be torn up because the previous owner blocked off the below the house access. when my parents moved into their new house (as the first owners) they had just about everything that could break, break....they lucked out that it was under waranty, but they just replaced it with the same crappy stuff they had put in there in the first place.

This is why I live in an apartment...the only maintenance I've had to pay for is the window my kids broke. Plus we may (or may not, considering how long we've been there) need to pay for the carpet (but that just comes out of our security deposit).

New construction is awful and older construction can be just as bad if its not well maintained. Plus, on the east coast, a lot of stuff is only built to stand from one hurricane to the next.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

With carpet,it is supposed to be replaced every 5 years(general rule with rentals) so if you live there over that amount of time,it is not your responsibility,under normal wear and tear..But you know landlords will still try to mess with you(good reason to get the landlord/tenant handbook,if it is a version for your area) outlining rental law for the common person.

here.
            http://www.thelpa.com/lpa/lllaw.html

Might do a search for your state,laws do vary..

Here by state...

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...rd-tenant-laws

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
              I was really surprised when I got down here to Jersey at all the flat roofs,mainly in a place where it snows they build with peaked roofs...Look at the Scandinavian countries where they have the extreme A type chalets

I really like that.

It's the same reason that Russian Orthodox churches have the "onion domes". The heavy snow will slide off rather than pile up and collapse the roof.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              I vote for "this is just what life is".

My babysitter bought a house last winter, and it passed two inspections (one for the house in general, and one for the work that was done prior to going on market)...within the first month, the downstairs heater had to be replaced, pipes under the house burst, and the upstairs heater had to have major maintenance. This winter, she forgot to run water for the first cold snap and everything was okay, so she decided not to for the second...and now she not only needs new bathroom pipes, she also needs a new floor, because it was a 100 year old hardwood floor that had to be torn up because the previous owner blocked off the below the house access. when my parents moved into their new house (as the first owners) they had just about everything that could break, break....they lucked out that it was under waranty, but they just replaced it with the same crappy stuff they had put in there in the first place.

This is why I live in an apartment...the only maintenance I've had to pay for is the window my kids broke. Plus we may (or may not, considering how long we've been there) need to pay for the carpet (but that just comes out of our security deposit).

New construction is awful and older construction can be just as bad if its not well maintained. Plus, on the east coast, a lot of stuff is only built to stand from one hurricane to the next.
              I'm ready to go back into an apartment or a townhouse. My niece in a townhouse got a new kitchen and new floors because her neighbor's pipes burst. The neighbor's insurance paid for everything. I shouldn't complain because during Hurricane Sandy people's houses got washed away. The thing is that this house was not my idea. We inherited it from my in-laws. Instead of selling it we did as my late father-in-law asked... that we take it over and stay there. So we did. But I had a bad feeling about the house before they even bought it. It's just plain boob-trapped. Nothing works properly. Now I've got water running from every faucet, and the cabinet doors open. The guy from the water company said I probably won't even notice the extra usage on my bill. And it's not enough to have the faucets drip, it has to be a stream.

Comment

I think a cigar is a cigar.

It's an old house, you're having some crazy weather, and when you consider that all the pipes in the house are probably the same age and at a similar level of deterioration it's not that unusual that more than one should break when submitted to the same circumstances.

Having said that... just because it's not a 'test' that someone has actively sent you doesn't mean that you wont be graded on your responses. How we respond and cope with life's normal 'shit happens' type events is generally more indicative of our mettle than how we go in a set up test. They may not have sent the test (and frankly I think deities rarely test the vast majority of their followers... because they just have better things to be doing), but there may be some interested eyes checking in to see how you deal with it.

Comment

Always the voice of reason, you are.

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                  I think a cigar is a cigar.

It's an old house, you're having some crazy weather, and when you consider that all the pipes in the house are probably the same age and at a similar level of deterioration it's not that unusual that more than one should break when submitted to the same circumstances.

Having said that... just because it's not a 'test' that someone has actively sent you doesn't mean that you wont be graded on your responses. How we respond and cope with life's normal 'shit happens' type events is generally more indicative of our mettle than how we go in a set up test. They may not have sent the test (and frankly I think deities rarely test the vast majority of their followers... because they just have better things to be doing), but there may be some interested eyes checking in to see how you deal with it.
                  Yeah, I've been keeping in mind a few lines from prayers I say "Gods and Goddesses, I thank you for the blessings you have given me, and I ask that you continue to bless me. Please help me face the decrees of the Norns with courage and honor"; "All-Father you gave me strength may I use it, you gave me courage, may I follow it... "; and a few others like that. I used to make fun of people that "turned to God for comfort" in times of trouble, but I had a totally wrong view of that. I also thank the Gods when things are going right. I haven't gone off the deep end yet, and I'm dealing with it, albeit kind of snappish with people. And for having survived this with my mind intact, I have to thank them for that.

Comment

We have lived in old Victorian houses. Pipes burst. Especially with the cold. Leave the faucets drip. And if have old blankets wrap the pipes if you can't get the foam pipe insulators. February is almost over so about a month and you should be in the clear. If you have heater put it in the basement and heat up. Oh and leave the cabinets and bathroom doors open so the heat moves around.

Comment

The problem is made worse because the house is built on a concrete slab and the pipes run in outside walls. I have the cabinet doors open and all the faucets running. The plumber said dripping is not enough, it has to be a slight steady stream. I also have a space heater near the open cabinet near an outside wall. It's helping somewhat.

Comment

Working...
                      X