Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you all think of the Jotun-gods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you all think of the Jotun-gods?

I am curious as to how you guys view the gods that are full or part Jotun (such as Skadi)? I know there are certain sects that just consider them Jotun, nothing more and either have alternatives for what they represent or just don't have anyone associated with that specific idea, object, etc.

Personally I am quite close to Skadi (I've always enjoyed the cold. Feeling rather safe in it and having some of my greatest times during the winter) and of course recognize her divinity, though Thor is the god that reached out to me and pulled me into Asatru, I am arguably closer to Skadi than I am Thor (saying quite a bit because Thor is extremely important to me lol.) I'm also interested to hear how you guys view the Jotun in general. Are they just a mythical nonexistent creature or real to you?

śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Re: What do you all think of the Jotun-gods?

Originally posted by sirz345 View Post
      I am curious as to how you guys view the gods that are full or part Jotun (such as Skadi)? I know there are certain sects that just consider them Jotun, nothing more and either have alternatives for what they represent or just don't have anyone associated with that specific idea, object, etc.

Personally I am quite close to Skadi (I've always enjoyed the cold. Feeling rather safe in it and having some of my greatest times during the winter) and of course recognize her divinity, though Thor is the god that reached out to me and pulled me into Asatru, I am arguably closer to Skadi than I am Thor (saying quite a bit because Thor is extremely important to me lol.) I'm also interested to hear how you guys view the Jotun in general. Are they just a mythical nonexistent creature or real to you?
      Part of why I'm Northern Tradition and not Heathen is my attitude towards the Jotnar gods. Personally I see them as the third 'pantheon' of the Northern faiths and see no difference in validity between them and the Aesir or Vanir. Different people resonate with different races. I ignored my gods for a long time because the Aesir were the only 'acceptable' gods in the Heathen communities at the time. Northern Tradition didn't exist back then, and every time I tried to settle into Heathenry the only deity I could connect with was Skadhi, and even that was tenuous. I resonate with the Jotnar far better than I do the Aesir or Vanir.

As Thorbjorn pointed out, there's as much Jotnar blood in Asgardhr as there is pure Aesir blood, if such a thing as 'pure' Aesir blood even exists. But I have seen the argument (from Heathens) many times that what makes a god/ess an Aesir or a Jotun is not their blood, but their allegiances and what side they will fight on at Ragnarok.

Originally posted by Thorbjorn View Post
      You forgot the Nornir (full). And Frigg (1/2). And Baldr (1/4ish).

Comment

I didn't know that about the Nornir. I thought for some reason they are beings unto themselves. Raven Kaldera has some thought-provoking info about Rokkatru on his Northern Paganism site.

Comment

"Ye dang Giants, get off my Midgard!"
          -Old man Odin
          "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
          And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
          They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
          The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
          - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Thorbjorn View Post
            I didn't know that about the Nornir. I thought for some reason they are beings unto themselves. Raven Kaldera has some thought-provoking info about Rokkatru on his Northern Paganism site.
            The Nornir are frost thursar. 80% of that comes from UPG (mine and others') but there are several mentions in the Poetic Edda about the Nornir being Jotnar... and the Voluspa does mention Them by name coming from 'below the Tree', which would indicate either Helheim or Niflheim, both of which are sometimes lumped together with Jotunheim in the Edda. So while the lore doesn't specify frost thursar, it's implied and that's certainly how They appear to me and to others.

If you're interested in the Jotnar gods, you might want to see if you can get a hold of The Jotunbok by Kaldera... there's a lot more detail in it than on his websites (either the NTPagansim or the NTShamanism one). The Pathwalker's Guide to the Nine Worlds is also quite interesting for those looking outside of the traditional Aesir and Vanir entities.

Comment

Very cool (no pun intended) info, thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X