The Anglol-Saxon corner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Anglol-Saxon corner

This is a place for anyone interested in Anglo-Saxon traditions, culture, runes etc. to post their questions. I can't promise that I have the answers to everything but I'll do my best to answer and maybe we can have some interesting discussions here.
    Other traditions are also very welcome to post so we can try and see the bigger picture - how one tradition is related (or not!) to another.

And the Anglol-Saxon bit is deliberate - let's enjoy ourselves!
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Re: The Anglol-Saxon corner

This might not be the right thread. But I watch a lot of documentaries on English Monarchs. I watched an awesome one called She Wolves. The first women on England.

I've gone as far back as the first kings who weren't English. And I've exhausted all that. I wanted to go further back into Anglo Saxon. Who were the interesting kings or queens of that time?
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I had to look up that series, Medusa, as I haven't seen it myself. As regards Anglo-Saxon Monarchs I bet you would love King Penda of Mercia. Really bloodthirsty, fond of dismembering defeated opponents and displaying their body parts on spears, never converted to Christianity and - if I remember rightly - he was the son of King Offa who built the great Offa's Dyke (which is an earthwork separating the English from the Welsh. Bits of it still exist and it's marvellous to walk along it, especially in early summer.)

The last Saxon King was Harold - the poor sod who got shot in the eye by an arrow at the battle of Hastings.

As to Queens, although it's further back, have you looked at Boudicca (who fought the Romans and very, very nearly won... she certainly won a number of battles) and her near contemporary, Cartimandua (more fighting, but with some sex thrown in as well!)?

If you're interested in any of these I can try to find some good websites. But for starters - and nothing to do with kings, but quite a bit to do with the Anglo-Saxons, here is an interesting snippet:
      Analysis over 20 years reveals heavy Anglo-Saxon influence, with French and Danish DNA coming from earlier migrations than the Normans or Vikings

Comment

Saw this article:

Britons are still living in the same 'tribes' that they did in the 7th Century, Oxford University has found after an astonishing study into our genetic make-up.

Apparently, Brits have kept their DNA at home within the boundaries of tribal kingdoms from 1400-odd years ago... the article explains much better than I can...
        I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
        Clan of my Clan
        Kin of my Kin
        Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
        And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Michael Wood, the archaeologist, did a good series (4 parts) on the Anglo-Saxon rulers last year, for the BBC. He covered Alfred, Athelstan (Alfred's grandson) and Aelthelflaeda (Alfred's daughter), Lady of the Mercians - and really brought her achievements into focus. (I didn't see them all, so I can't remember who the fourth ruler was). I live on the Welsh borders, so I first heard of Aethelflaeda as the leader of a raid on the crannog on Llangorse Lake in 916, which was a Welsh royal residence, but she was more than just a war leader.

Comment

Thanks guys. I have some new names to search for on youtube.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
              he was the son of King Offa who built the great Offa's Dyke (which is an earthwork separating the English from the Welsh. Bits of it still exist and it's marvellous to walk along it, especially in early summer.)

I was always a fan of Cynethryth. I think though that I really mostly was in love with the name.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

There is so much to cover here in just a few posts - thank you for joining in! And one of the great things about this period is the backsliding and sheer bloody mindedness since the Anglo-Saxons were so full of life. And I love their metalwork, too. I always feel it's a great pity to call it the Dark Ages!

Comment

Well, it was only the Dark Ages to the scholars who didn't have a lot of documents to look at, as compared to the Romans and the Middle Ages that came after. The people living at that time had a lively culture that we can only get glimpses of. For instance, Beowulf has survived as a poem, but at the time it was written down it might have been nothing special. It's only because it's survived that it's held up as a masterpiece of Saxon poetry - how many other masterpieces have been lost forever? We'll never know.

Comment

Working...
                  X