Ignorance using the faces of our Gods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignorance using the faces of our Gods

So today, I removed myself from a group entitled "Odins Law" on social media. Why? Because I learned what their true face is. They pride themselves in being a skinhead club of self proclaimed Odinists. Now, I've said before that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and opinions, but this made me so angry. Those who use our gods as a justification for hatred and racism... It dilutes the public opinion of who we really are. It poisons our intentions, and corrupts it to the hilt. I, and many of my kin, try extremely hard to abolish these delusions, and here is a group of arrogant filth scourging the name of heathens everywhere.
    What are your thoughts on these enemies of our good name? Have you ever encountered any type of people who uses our gods in such a way? If I ever meet one in person, there will be a major altercation, and I may end up in jail.
    Thoughts?
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Re: Ignorance using the faces of our Gods

Good on you for removing yourself. No one would want to be affiliated with people like that. I would be annoyed to. I see a lot of mainstream Wicca being used in the wrong way. Perhaps it's not for racism but I sort of understand what you mean.

We can really only do what we can to change the perception of our faiths. If we can change the mind of one person from believing we're something horrible to believing that we are truly good people, then we've accomplished something.
    A Happy Little Wiccan:^^:

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Because who needs a life when you have a chatroom.

Comment

I've met up with fascists before, yes. Whether they cloak their beliefs with religion or politics or something else, they're still fascists.
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

It sickens me. I am a full blooded Teutonic, with blood "purer" than the majority of people in that group. But even so, I do not use my lineage to proclaim I am better than a certain type of people. Extremely gross to do so.
        "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
        And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
        They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
        The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
        - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

The good news is they eventually show their true colours.
          They are in all walks of life and cast bad light on all they claim to represent be it politics, law enforcement and religion.

Its up to the rest of us to challenge their poison and show the true meaning of our faiths by our actions.
          Well done on walking away

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
            I've met up with fascists before, yes. Whether they cloak their beliefs with religion or politics or something else, they're still fascists.
            This. It happens everywhere, under many different guises, religions, causes, etc...

They aren't worth ruining your life over. But it does help when others who work with those same named deities (or whatever) speak up and explain their side of the equation too, so the rest of the world understands that not everyone who follows _____ path is carrying the same ideals.

Comment

Remember too, that we are ALL related. No matter what our colour, creed, size or appearance. At the end of the day we are all related, and we are certainly all connected by our common humanity. Unfortunately, fascists often forget this. Unable to make their way by any means that the rest of us use, they instead try to proclaim their innate superiority instead.
              They are everywhere, so don't fret too much, Norse Angel. You did the right thing. Now - as Ljubezen says - it's important that the rest of the world understands that not everyone following a particular path is like them.

Comment

Remember too, that we are ALL related. No matter what our colour, creed, size or appearance. At the end of the day we are all related, and we are certainly all connected by our common humanity.
                Tell it! Tell it!

I just got my preliminary DNA test results yesterday, and it's really only by a long stretch of the imagination that I might have any
                śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
                śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

The thing about hatred, is that it can and will make you into exactly what you hate if you let it. Using violence, censorship, intimidation, propaganda, and the like to stamp out undesirables for the good of the group would absolutely be fascist.

They should be dealt with like any other kind of extremist. In the short term: Reasoning with them if both parties open to it, and reporting them to the proper authorities if they step out of line. In the long term: Higher quality education and mental health care that's easily accessible.
                  Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

I'm just curious since you said there views "corrupts", everyone is open to their own interpretation of the Gods/Religion/Spirituality however I don't agree with these groups at all, I just want to point out from a historical perspective these deities were mostly formed around war and violent tribal groups. This means there was constant warfare and raiding among the Norse and Germanic peoples during the times they held these deities sacred , they also viewed outsiders as a threat and took great pleasure in warfare and slaughter. Now the modern version of paganism tries to reconcile our humanist and non-violent lifestyle and modern philosophy with an ancient religion born from a time of utter savagery (I don't consider that offensive in fact I see it as an asset one must do what one can to survive in the world they inhabit). In a sense the modern viewpoint of the Gods can never truly encompass the Ancient viewpoint of the gods. How does this tie into rascist groups of heathens ? well i see it as a conflict between the cosmic spirit of the Ancient man and the cosmic spirit of the ressurectionists who wish to bring back the faith in present times.

Comment

I actually think these people are not using beliefs to justify their religion but religion to justify their beliefs. Its exactly like ISIS using a corruption of Islam to rally and channel the hatred and destruction of its acolytes. The Nazi philosophy was heavily influenced Teutonic and Germanic religions. Why? Because Hitler was a deeply spiritual and religious man? No not really. Religion in its most bestial, evil, and false incarnation is the ultimate mind control over a population. Hitler used religion to subjugate and manipulate his people and create a 'priest/initiate' caste in his higher officials. Hitler intentionally created a quazi religion out of Nazism, with the SS as it's priests and Hitler as it's messiah. Whether by intention or insanity, Hitler was very good at mind controlling his subjects.

It is no different than radical Islam, religion is the ultimate tool to use to convert and embolden men and women to acts so evil and deprave that no sane human would ever do if there were not a deeply religious component to their fanatical sociopath acts.

It is very sad that the echo of Nazism still exists in these sad, pathetic individuals, it is even more sad that paganism is defaced and slandered in the eyes of the common people when we have struggled so hard to shake off the PR that we have wrongfully gained in past eras.

But imho this is not 'religion' at all it is just a form of mind control.

Comment

I disagree slightly I don't think early religions evolved out of corruption and control they evolved in savage barbaric times they were the product of their cultures so the people could I identify with something greater than themselves it just happened to be in a warlike environment that most religions formed. Except for Buddhism but one can argue that Buddhism and eastern religions fights a war against materialism a non-violent form of conflict.

Comment

It's by no means certain that all religious belief emerged in savage barbaric times. Our ancient ancestors (7000 years and more ago) were often a damned site more civilised that we would like to think.

Comment

It's by no means certain that all religious belief emerged in savage barbaric times. Our ancient ancestors (7000 years and more ago) were often a damned site more civilised that we would like to think.
                            Plus, the earliest archaeological evidence of temples predates the earliest cities.

When it comes to the origins and prehistory of religion in general, there's an easier read on the possibilities for why and how religion evolved in the book Supernatural Selection, or a lovely academic slog through the prehistory of religion in Shaman, Sorceres, and Saints. I highly recommend both.

(next on my "to purchase" list is Ritual and Religion in the Making of Humanity)
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

And, weirdly, there are more people today who take the Bible literally than there were in the middle ages. The writing of the Greeks and Romans includes a lot of skepticism...
                              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                              X