Honoring the Germanic gods.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honoring the Germanic gods.

When I first started down the Pagan path, I began lots and lots of research, hoping to find a pantheon/tradition or gods I connected with. All the pantheons I researched (Kemetic, Greek, Roman, Irish, Slavic, Brythonic, Gaulish, Canaanite) were interesting, but I didn't really feel much of anything. That was until I started looking into the Germanic pantheon. Over the years they really are the only gods I keep going back to, however I always had this feeling like, these are the gods that I'm supposed to be involved with but I don't resonate much the tradition itself. For some reason, Heathenry as a tradition does not resonate with me however Druidry does whilst most Celtic gods do not. Weird I know.

Out of all the Germanic gods, in particular I've always felt a fondness for Thor and Sif along with Tyr and Frigga. I've never worked with any deities before (apart from the occasional prayer) and I'm not sure on where to start. Unfortunately at the moment I live with my parents who don't really approve of my interest in Paganism so setting up an altar isn't an option right now.

Does anybody have any tips or ideas on how I could begin to start honoring them? I would also like to know, what are the Germanic deities like to work with, particularly the ones I've mentioned? Are they quite stand-offish? I've heard rumors Germanic gods don't take much of an interest in people or their problems and many Heathens seem to go to their ancestors if they need help with an issue, can anybody back that up?

Thanks so much!

http://www.northernpaganism.org/shrines/index.html You could keep a small picture of a deity or several of the deities you are drawn to, along with a candle, on a shelf or your dresser or nightstand. There are lots of prayers and poems in the internet to choose from, or you can compose your own, or better yet, just talk to the gods.
    śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Re: Honoring the Germanic gods.

The website has some great stuff. Thank you! Both Thor and Sif seem nice, along with Frigga. I get a good vibe from those three deities in particular.

Comment

Glad to help.
        śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
        śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Here is the parent site to that link above

Everything that thorbjorn said above is a great layout. I stand with everything he says, and I couldn't have said it better myself.
          "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
          And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
          They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
          The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
          - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

Working...
          X