PDA

View Full Version : Would you opt in to a kitchen robot?

thalassa
28 Aug 2015, 08:55
It seems we've figured out how to teach a robot to make pancakes.

At some unspecificed time in the future, I'm willing to predict that something akin to Rosie from the Jetsons will be a possibility. Will you be one of the crowd to get a household robot to make your meals and wash your clothes?

sauce (http://nycity.today/content/284579-robohow-working-robots-can-prepare-pancakes-you)

anunitu
28 Aug 2015, 09:02
I would if only because of being older...In the TV program "Humans" they have an older man that has a live in robot to care for him..In Japan they do I think already have this..

- - - Updated - - -

Here. Japan robots for eldercare.
http://www.vrworld.com/2015/01/22/robots-japans-future-elderly-care-workers/

B. de Corbin
28 Aug 2015, 09:08
Cook? No. I like to cook. If I wanted machine food, I'd buy Stoffers.

Wash clothes? Yes. It would get K'Roe off my back.

anunitu
28 Aug 2015, 09:14
There is now a talking thing from Amazon..I think it is wireless and connected to the cloud..think Seri..but it also can turn lights on and off,and control by voice commands other things...I Might go for that

- - - Updated - - -

here.
http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2014-11-06/amazon-echo-is-a-listening-talking-music-playing-speaker-for-your-home

http://images.bwbx.io/cms/2014-11-06/1106-Amazon-Echo-970-630x420.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

A video for it...kinda cool

https://youtu.be/KkOCeAtKHIc

B. de Corbin
28 Aug 2015, 09:37
Wait until it is hack-proof, or you will be turning your life over to cyber revolutionaries.

We used to fear it would be the gooberment, but it looks like it's gonna be independent self-righteous pricks with computers out to "fix" you by threatening to out your private life.

anunitu
28 Aug 2015, 09:40
Yeh that does come to mind...or the Government keeps tabs on you day and night...But you know,Brave new world....

B. de Corbin
28 Aug 2015, 09:51
Yes... I started W-10, and am now in the process of taking off strange stuff that sends information about my life to the world.

anunitu
28 Aug 2015, 09:57
And then they "May" just embed a tracker and all without your consent...and go with future crime thing...

kalynraye
28 Aug 2015, 10:06
Absolutely not!

thalassa
28 Aug 2015, 10:11
Yeh that does come to mind...or the Government keeps tabs on you day and night...But you know,Brave new world....

I don't fear the gov't doing this--they don't realistically have the resources to sort thru whatever they might find for every individual (and therefor I'm pretty well protected by the statistical unlikliness of any one individual being singled out vs an aggregate of data being used or a specific target being looked at) and they have very little benefit from using the information they could potentially get from most Americans cooking robot.

I fear private industry doing this--your grocery store chain, your health insurance provider, etc. I mean, they already do this (http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2058205,00.html)on a more limited scale that is fairly variable in its relaibility.

habbalah
28 Aug 2015, 10:28
I would have one around for days that I'm feeling lazy. I like to cook, but I don't really like cooking for just me.

anunitu
28 Aug 2015, 10:36
I don't fear the gov't doing this--they don't realistically have the resources to sort thru whatever they might find for every individual (and therefor I'm pretty well protected by the statistical unlikliness of any one individual being singled out vs an aggregate of data being used or a specific target being looked at) and they have very little benefit from using the information they could potentially get from most Americans cooking robot.

I fear private industry doing this--your grocery store chain, your health insurance provider, etc. I mean, they already do this (http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2058205,00.html)on a more limited scale that is fairly variable in its relaibility.

I have noticed little bits of this already..The suggested for you thing in google news seems to be based on my viewing habits more than my online searching or even text or email. I think perhaps they have hooked up with other media sources to target ads..I notice at times the TV ads seem to "Know" my interests. With search's already I see if I check out say a certain product,an ad shows up a LOT on many other sites I visit.

Gleb
28 Aug 2015, 10:44
This made me think of the Terminator a bit. :D
I really don't know.. If the robot won't grab a kitchen knife at night and try to kill me, why not? Oh and does it need specific orders or can I just say "make me breakfast"?

anunitu
28 Aug 2015, 10:45
The kill in the middle of the night only happens if you call it a metal head...Robots have feelings too......

Gleb
28 Aug 2015, 10:53
The kill in the middle of the night only happens if you call it a metal head...Robots have feelings too......
Haha, I'll do well to remember that one. :D Btw, in Japan they have smart refrigerators and restrooms.

anunitu
28 Aug 2015, 10:55
They be coming here(or there where you are) very soon,I do remember when I first ran into the "Auto" toilet in a public restroom...damn thing flushed just after I stood up..freaked me the fark out...

Gleb
28 Aug 2015, 10:59
Actually we have those but the Japanese are better. :p Ok, back to the original subject.

Nightingale
28 Aug 2015, 11:46
I think we're definitely moving in a more robotic direction for the future. whether they're going to be beneficial or if we're on the road to a Robot Revolution, who knows. personally, I would LOVE to have someone else cooking for me, since I seem to create a disaster area every time I try.... if it could also do reminders (like "have you eaten lunch yet today?") that would be cool too. Cause I need those sometimes.

what would be cool is one of those things like in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy that can sense what you're craving and makes it for you. because sometimes I get hungry but I don't know what I want, and don't have the energy to make anything, so I end up ... not eating. *shameful confession.* I know it's bad.

so yeah, Robots.... if they take care of you, great. If they try to micromanage or whatever, not cool. If they want to hold an armed rebellion against humankind.... I might betray you all. Robots deserve rights too!!

- - - Updated - - -

I rely on my phone a LOT to remind me to do things right now. So I would probably rely a lot on a kitchen robot too.

Willow
28 Aug 2015, 21:13
Negative. I barely trust my computer with my browsing history, let alone a robot with my basic needs.

thalassa
29 Aug 2015, 10:13
I don't think I'd want to kitchen robot unless it was only for cleaning up. I wouldn't mind a robot that cleaned my bathroom and did my laundry. I also think I don't mind something like a Star Trek style replicator for those days when you get off work and just want to feed your face and not be troubled.

kalynraye
29 Aug 2015, 22:37
You guys are trying to put me out of a job!! No we don't need any robots that cook, there are plenty of cooks out there.

Rae'ya
30 Aug 2015, 01:21

At some unspecificed time in the future, I'm willing to predict that something akin to Rosie from the Jetsons will be a possibility. Will you be one of the crowd to get a household robot to make your meals and wash your clothes?

sauce (http://nycity.today/content/284579-robohow-working-robots-can-prepare-pancakes-you)

If it did the dishes, abso-bloody-lutely!

I wouldn't get one for cooking, though. I like cooking, and I think that good food has a human element to it... compare a mass produced pre-packaged meal that robots in a factory have made to a home-prepared meal. Robotic maid, yes. Robotic chef? Eh.

Munin-Hugin
30 Aug 2015, 05:16
If it did the dishes, abso-bloody-lutely!

This, 100% this. Dishes are my second least favorite household chore, right behind vacuuming.

habbalah
31 Aug 2015, 12:29
This, 100% this. Dishes are my second least favorite household chore, right behind vacuuming.

There's the Roomba if you hate vacuuming.

thalassa
31 Aug 2015, 13:30
There's the Roomba if you hate vacuuming.

DJ Roomba in the House!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXhsUPtsiLU

anunitu
31 Aug 2015, 14:23
me,I still like the shark cat riding the Rumba..

https://youtu.be/tLt5rBfNucc

Rae'ya
01 Sep 2015, 05:40
After seeing a video of a Roomba having smeared dog poo all over a loungeroom, I'm thinking that a Roomba is a risky thing to have if you have an indoor pet!

thalassa
01 Sep 2015, 05:43
After seeing a video of a Roomba having smeared dog poo all over a loungeroom, I'm thinking that a Roomba is a risky thing to have if you have an indoor pet!

This recently happened to a friend of mine. I suggested she get the scooba version...automatic mopper, ftw!

I've been thinking about getting one because the cats and my allergies and kids...

Willow
02 Sep 2015, 19:37

Good to know...

I want a puppy one day, my husband wants a Roomba...

October
03 Sep 2015, 19:20

Make my meals? No.

Wash my clothes? Hell yes.

Pretty much all the other clean-y chores, yeah, no question. But not cooking. I love cooking.

Sinned
06 Sep 2015, 12:03
hmmmm... I love cooking.. and I really don't mind cleaning and washing.. but as I like to cook big meals for the extended family it would be nice to have a helping hand that knows what it's doing! So sure, why not! It would come in handy when sick or just having a down day :)

I'm assuming you can unplug these robots and shove them in the cupboard under the stairs when not needed yes?? If these robots are like.. in people form it may be a bit creepy to have one just watching you when all the cleanings done waiting for orders :=S:

DanieMarie
09 Sep 2015, 13:48
Make my meals? NO WAY. Cooking keeps me sane. Between leftovers and my boyfriend cooking, I have enough off days that I'm not in the kitchen for three meals a day, but I enjoy making food too much to let a robot do it for me.

Housework is a different story. If I had more money and no stairs, I'd already have a robot vacuum.

Vanli
06 Dec 2015, 16:15
No. Even when I don't feel like cooking, I feel right when I'm feeding people, with food I've made with my own hands. I feel like I'm fully respecting where the food came from, like when I raised, killed and cooked my own chicken. Admittedly, the killing was only a few times, when I was almost ten, and my parental figure of the time decided I was old enough to experience that, but even though I'd raised the chooks and ducks knowing that they were food, it still helped me learn to respect the cycle of life.

So, it might not be part of my religious beliefs, but it feels right to prepare my own food. I have trouble doing such for myself, but that's my self esteem issues showing up.

As for washing the dishes and such, I feel I should do it myself, because it's hard for me. I get flashbacks if I'm paying too much attention and crockery clashes, which I feel that I need to deal with in order to heal. And it does help.

As far as remembering to eat and such, which was mentioned earlier in the thread, that's what phone alarms are for. My memory is terrible when I'm not having flashbacks, though a high dosage of fish oil really helps, and I tend to get caught up in things and not notice the passing of time at all, so alarms are kinda necessary. I know it's still tech reminding me, but having a dedicated kitchen bot, which I only use to remind me to eat, as opposed to my phone, which I have to keep with me all the time so I can contact the appropriate people if I have a seizure? Yeah, I'm epileptic. So that's a constant risk.