PDA

View Full Version : Meditating advice?

CrystalJackal
30 Aug 2015, 11:11
HA! I went a month without posting a question *Is stupidly proud of pointless accomplishment*

It's not that I have TROUBLE meditating, but I just don't know what to DO. Mostly I have three questions; Am I supposed to visualize myself somewhere or not? Am I supposed to say anything? Or am I supposed to just kind of stare at the floaty dots behind my eyes? Any help would be fantastic.

Gleb
30 Aug 2015, 11:20
What did I tell you about asking questions? :p
Anyway.. The purpose of meditation is to relax. You can do it in various positions - sitting, lying on your stomach/back... As long as your body feels relaxed, it will do. Try imagining yourself in a place that calms you down - if it's by a river in the high mountains with fresh air and birds singing, or on the seaside... Spend some time like this. It's the best I can describe it. Maybe you will find it helpful to turn on relaxing music of some sort so it will help you concentrate on the place you choose. Oh and maintaining your breath is also important - slow, deep breath. ;)

CrystalJackal
30 Aug 2015, 11:21
What did I tell you about asking questions? :p
Anyway.. The purpose of meditation is to relax. You can do it in various positions - sitting, lying on your stomach/back... As long as your body feels relaxed, it will do. Try imagining yourself in a place that calms you down - if it's by a river in the high mountains with fresh air and birds singing, or on the seaside... Spend some time like this. It's the best I can describe it. Maybe you will find it helpful to turn on relaxing music of some sort so it will help you concentrate on the place you choose. Oh and maintaining your breath is also important - slow, deep breath. ;)

You told me a lot of things about asking questions! :p

Hehe, thank you so much though :) This is really great advice and I'll definitely try this today. Thanks a lot! <3

Gleb
30 Aug 2015, 11:23
You told me a lot of things about asking questions! :p

Hehe, thank you so much though :) This is really great advice and I'll definitely try this today. Thanks a lot! <3
Don't be afraid to ask questions! :p
Glad that helped, though!

CrystalJackal
30 Aug 2015, 11:24
Don't be afraid to ask questions! :p
Glad that helped, though!

Oh yeah that xD Don't worry I won't be <3
It really did help! :)

anunitu
30 Aug 2015, 12:18
Truth is it helps not to really try..funny thing about meditation,it is a contradiction in some ways...less is more if you understand my meaning. For some letting go is hard,if you are very connected to the material world. Ask B. De. about say the lightness of being or the be here now idea...

Relax and go with the flow...

faye_cat
30 Aug 2015, 18:04
Something that helped me when I first started meditating is finding guided meditations. I also just found nature sounds on youtube, put on headphones, and closed my eyes. Headphones always seem to enhance the experience. You can also focus on a single element (fire from a candle or incense smoke, or a fountain of water) and just let your mind wander as you focus on it.

Magnus
01 Sep 2015, 15:45
HA! I went a month without posting a question *Is stupidly proud of pointless accomplishment*

It's not that I have TROUBLE meditating, but I just don't know what to DO. Mostly I have three questions; Am I supposed to visualize myself somewhere or not? Am I supposed to say anything? Or am I supposed to just kind of stare at the floaty dots behind my eyes? Any help would be fantastic.

Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you are just simply trying to still your mind, then there are multiple ways of achieving that. Visualizing does indeed work, so does doing the old counting techniques... but don't let yourself fall asleep. Then just try to hold the stillness and let any passing thoughts just fly by like clouds.

If you are trying to enhance yourself spiritually (energy work, cleaning your aura, communicating with entities) then you will have to do power meditations.
Depending on how much control you have, doing this when you're tired is the best time if you're just beginning. Just start meditating like you normally would, then let your mind kinda gaze off. You'll notice that you will start to have dreams play out in your head and it may feel like you are about to fall asleep, realize this and after a few times you should be able to put yourself in a trance by stilling your mind at the precise point you start to drift off. It takes a bit of practice. NOTE: At this stage you might begin to have energy rushes where you will have energy start to flow through your chakras. It may spook you but don't be frightened, if you remain calm this can be an AMAZING feeling and you can do many great things with this energy. I hope this helped, feel free to contact me with any questions.

B. de Corbin
02 Sep 2015, 01:55
Meditation can be used for a whole variety of purposes, and there are an infinite number of ways to do it.

Try this:

http://www.paganforum.com/showthread.php?10546-What-is-quot-meditation-quot-and-how-do-you-do-it

October
03 Sep 2015, 10:12
I find that it's easier to do guided meditations. The ones I've encountered are usually either someone telling you to focus on your breaths or different parts of your body, or someone walking you through visualisations. I had been meditating fairly regularly for about a year before I felt comfortable just doing it alone with music. I still have trouble clearing my mind of all thought. That's the tricky one.

It takes a lot of practise, but it's really rewarding when you get the hang of it.