PDA

View Full Version : PF Recipe Share and Challenge

Munin-Hugin
14 Sep 2015, 13:50
After my recent attempt at making scotch eggs and posting the recipe up here (which had much more of a response than I thought it would), it gave me an idea. Would folks be interested in having a little food fun? The idea is that a person goes ahead and posts up a recipe to share, and then others attempt to use that recipe and make the dish in question. Then, after making the dish, you've got to post a picture of your attempt, and then you get to post a recipe for others to try. If people think this might be a fun idea, I'll start off with a really easy recipe right now and see how it goes. I haven't made them yet (will do so over the weekend, I think) so I can't post pictures but I'll post up the process!

With Autumn on it's way, and all of the great flavors that go along with it in the form of it's seasonal harvests, here's a cute little snack/dessert that takes only a few minutes to make, and even less time to be devoured.

Apple Bites
You'll Need: Apple (whatever kind you prefer), wonton or eggroll wrappers, cinnamon, brown sugar, nutmeg, confectioner's sugar, cooking oil, and butter

* Finely dice up the apples and put them into a bowl
* With the wonton or eggroll wrappers, cut them into about 3in (7.5cm) squares
* Spoon a bit of the apples into the middle of one of the squares, then add a pinch of brown sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon, as well a a sliver of butter
* Place another square of wrapper over the top, and seal the edges (usually done simply by using water and pressing down)
* Heat your oil to about 350f (190c), and drop your little pouches into the hot oil until they're a crispy, golden brown. (You could give them a little egg wash if you want to, but I usually do without)
* After you take them out, simply sprinkle the confectioner's sugar over the top and enjoy!
* If you're feeling really adventurous, you can also dust them with cocoa powder for that little chocolaty bitterness, or chocolate syrup to keep it sweet, or even some finely grated sharp cheddar cheese (It's a northern New England thing. Sharp cheddar and hot apples tastes amazing)

October
14 Sep 2015, 13:59
My kitchen witch heart is singing! I love you, MWAH! Such a great idea.

I'm not really sure where to get eggroll/wonton wrappers...YES! There's an Asian market by the tea bar. I'll look there and get back to you.

*so excited*

Munin-Hugin
14 Sep 2015, 14:07
My kitchen witch heart is singing! I love you, MWAH! Such a great idea.

I'm not really sure where to get eggroll/wonton wrappers...YES! There's an Asian market by the tea bar. I'll look there and get back to you.

*so excited*

I get mine at the local Stop and Shop grocery store. There, it's in the produce area for some reason ...

thalassa
14 Sep 2015, 15:03
Oh! I do something really similar to this, except I use this recipe (https://nuannaarpoq.wordpress.com/2012/06/15/food-for-friday-sailor-biscuits/) for the "wrapper":

Shahaku
14 Sep 2015, 16:54
Oh! I do something really similar to this, except I use this recipe (https://nuannaarpoq.wordpress.com/2012/06/15/food-for-friday-sailor-biscuits/) for the "wrapper":

Do you have a vegan sub for the yogurt in that recipe thal?

thalassa
14 Sep 2015, 16:58
Do you have a vegan sub for the yogurt in that recipe thal?

You'd lose the tangy flavor, but you could likely use a milk substitute...you might have to mess with the amounts a bit, but really its a just a matter of getting the right consistency.

thalassa
14 Sep 2015, 17:00
You'd lose the tangy flavor, but you could likely use a milk substitute...you might have to mess with the amounts a bit, but really its a just a matter of getting the right consistency.

I use the same recipe, plus and egg and some extra milk to make pancakes...

TBH, at this point, I eyeball all of this.

October
03 Oct 2015, 17:24
I attempted these tonight but I must have gotten the wrong wonton wrappers. So I made bread and butter pudding instead. I'll try again later this week hopefully.

kalynraye
03 Oct 2015, 21:46
I am totally down for this.

Munin-Hugin
05 Oct 2015, 13:45
I've been super forgetful and keep not getting the wrappers at the store every time I go. Maybe next time I'll remember to add it to my list.

October
05 Oct 2015, 13:57
I've been super forgetful and keep not getting the wrappers at the store every time I go. Maybe next time I'll remember to add it to my list.

So what do they look like, out of curiosity? And how fo you use them? (Asking for a friend)

The ones I got were translucent and hard like plastic but when I managed to get them softer and stickier by sucking on them. Was I supposed to boil them? There were no instructions on the back, so...

Munin-Hugin
05 Oct 2015, 14:11
So what do they look like, out of curiosity? And how fo you use them? (Asking for a friend)

The ones I got were translucent and hard like plastic but when I managed to get them softer and stickier by sucking on them. Was I supposed to boil them? There were no instructions on the back, so...

These are what I use. They're soft and doughy. The only time they get hard is if they're left out too long.

October
05 Oct 2015, 14:14
Hmm ok. I'll keep an eye out for something like that.

kalynraye
05 Oct 2015, 20:40
You will find them in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. Over by produce kinda with the pre-made/pre-cut stuff. There are two types there ware wanton wrappers and there are eggroll wrappers. Wantons are going to be circles and the wantons are rectangles.

Munin-Hugin
08 Oct 2015, 14:42
Okay, guys, here they are in five step pictures! I have to comment though, that the results are NOT the same ones I was making for the first few pics. I screwed up and accidentally added cumin instead of cinnamon ... OOPS! So I had to make a new batch.

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss355/Munin_Hugin/Mobile%20Uploads/7ff9010b-75cb-4d1e-ac63-864cc2cd9850_zpse69kobjz.jpg http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss355/Munin_Hugin/Mobile%20Uploads/5e3e2932-02d4-4e56-9b9c-43385c4265a5_zpsqnu46gkk.jpg http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss355/Munin_Hugin/Mobile%20Uploads/8f5c281a-da86-4b36-a023-9574b22803c0_zps533ijz1x.jpg http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss355/Munin_Hugin/Mobile%20Uploads/0db6137c-263e-46e4-93bc-7d1af41aec9a_zpshuokdjh0.jpg http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss355/Munin_Hugin/Mobile%20Uploads/791f72e3-26fc-4eb7-b181-1dda61ad71ff_zpsitdk6ez0.jpg

October
08 Oct 2015, 14:44
Apples and cumin--how did THAT turn out? :-p

Munin-Hugin
08 Oct 2015, 14:54
I should have kept them because it probably wouldn't have been that bad, to be honest.

October
08 Oct 2015, 14:55
It intrigues me. Not enough to try it myself quite yet, lol, but all the same...

Hickory67
10 Oct 2015, 10:53
Here's my recipe for Bruschetta (pronounced brus-KET-ta - runs all over me when wait staff say "brushetta."):

You'll need:

A loaf Italian or French bread (firm crust is better, but doesn't have to be)
Extra virgin olive oil
Dried basil
Dried oregano
A large clove of garlic (peeled)
Diced or sliced tomatoes (your preference)
cayenne pepper
salt
black pepper

Slice the bread to about 1" thickness and place under a broiler until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let it cool slightly so you don't burn your fingers in the next step.

Brush liberal amounts of olive oil on the UNtoasted side. I usually just put the olive oil in a bowl or shallow dish and dip the bread, letting the excess run off to a drip.

Place the bread back on the baking pan with the oiled side up. Sprinkle liberal amounts of basil and oregano over it (you'll lose some of it in the next steps) and place it back under the broiler until dark brown. Try not to burn it - you just need it toasted deeply to firm it up.

Remove from the broiler and let cool slightly again. Once you can handle it safely, take the peeled garlic and rub it into the oiled & seasoned side ensuring you coat it thoroughly. You'll lose the excess seasoning with this step.

Top the bread with your tomatoes and add salt, pepper, and a dash of cayenne. Take a teaspoon and drip a little more olive oil over them and it's ready to serve.

Munin-Hugin
10 Oct 2015, 11:33
Next time I go to the store I'll get some bread and give it a try. Though, I'll have to substitute the tomato for maybe some red or orange peppers. Tomatoes are disgusting ;)

October
10 Oct 2015, 11:45
Tomatoes are disgusting ;)

How very dare you, sir

Munin-Hugin
10 Oct 2015, 13:31
How very dare you, sir

They're like big, red, soft apples of gross. I like sauce, salsa, ketchup, things like that that actually change and mask the taste of them, but on their own they are pretty vomit inducing.

DragonsFriend
10 Oct 2015, 22:38
Try growing your own. I suggest Roma tomatoes for Bruschetta. I find the tomatoes in stores to be pretty tasteless and soggy. Our home grown tomatoes are wonderful - so much so that I have to hide any that I want to have when my son comes over. He eats them whole, no he devours them whole. I can't argue with him they are wonderful.