PDA

View Full Version : An Atheistic World

Bartmanhomer
09 Oct 2015, 07:23
What if we lived a world without a god? What would life will be like if the whole world was atheistic?

DragonsFriend
09 Oct 2015, 07:38
If we lived in a world without a god we would make one. A thought form can be given all the power and properties of a god just by being accepted widely and having faith in it. The more people that recognize it the stronger it becomes. It would take on all the attributes given.

ThePaganMafia
09 Oct 2015, 07:53
Well we do live in a world without a God or Gods. Yet it is a very theistic world.

So what if we lived in a world where the people were atheist? Well people wouldn't believe in ridiculous notions, be more accepting of scientific truths, be less cause for war, divide, and hate.

An atheistic world would be a far better world than what we have now.

DragonsFriend
09 Oct 2015, 07:58
A perfect world requires perfect people. As long as we have people living in different places and in different ways there will be struggles for power and money and there will be wars.
Religions don't cause wars, people do and they just use religion as a way to justify them.

B. de Corbin
09 Oct 2015, 08:03
What if we lived a world without a god? What would life will be like if the whole world was atheistic?

You'd have a world with a bunch of atheists in it.

Gleb
09 Oct 2015, 08:04
A perfect world requires perfect people. As long as we have people living in different places and in different ways there will be struggles for power and money and there will be wars.
Religions don't cause wars, people do and they just use religion as a way to justify them.
I second this.

Btw, PaganMafia, many scientists believe in the existence of a higher power. Just saying. :p

ThePaganMafia
09 Oct 2015, 08:43
And those beliefs are generally ridiculous. We can say allnwe want that the wars would still happen if religion was null. And that's true. But we would have subverted so much pain, hate, anger, and death if religion had not existed. There is enough wonder in this universe without creating myths to explain what will eventually or what has been explained by science. It is anti-intellectualism at its greatest and that is a travesty among the many other travesties religion has created.

SleepingCompass
09 Oct 2015, 09:10
Humans are driven to seek out the Gods... I don't think it's possible for the world to be without any divinity. Plus, I believe that life is to unlikely to occur without some kind of outside influence... For their to be a world (and universe), I believe there had to have been something to get it started.

The problem is that people feel the drive and seek their Gods without thought or personal reflection. They latch blindly on to paths without actually speaking to the Gods, believing them to be voiceless.

thalassa
09 Oct 2015, 09:17

pretty much this^ and this:

Religion is an EXCUSE not a REASON....which is a bit like the difference between correlation and causation.

Athiests are just as dumb as theists when it comes to the stupid things that people believe in. Atheists don't have the market on intelligence, or even reason and logic cornered when it comes to any topic in general, or the existence of "god" in particular. That would be confusing them with the people that truly have the only defendable intellectual, science-based position on whether or not "god" exists...and those people would be agnostics.

anunitu
09 Oct 2015, 09:38
Humans need something to believe in when they reach an age where death is near..People can be afraid about death,and I think just the thought that something greater than themselves that "Might" allow them another view of the after life beyond ashes to ashes and dust to dust....Life can be frightening,and at times faith may get you through very bad stuff.(It does not really need to be true to be comforting)

mike96
12 Oct 2015, 01:21
pretty much this^ and this:

Religion is an EXCUSE not a REASON....which is a bit like the difference between correlation and causation.

Athiests are just as dumb as theists when it comes to the stupid things that people believe in. Atheists don't have the market on intelligence, or even reason and logic cornered when it comes to any topic in general, or the existence of "god" in particular. That would be confusing them with the people that truly have the only defendable intellectual, science-based position on whether or not "god" exists...and those people would be agnostics.

I can agree with this notion that ones I.Q isn't automatically raised by choosing to be atheist. We can be pretty stupid ourselves and I'll own it. The thing that I'd like to point out though is that agnosticism and atheism seem to answer two separate questions dealing with what you know and what you believe.

For the reason that I DONT know everything I'm agnostic. In light of not knowing plus the fact that I don't yet see any evidence for any particular deity I'm atheist (keyword "yet"). Could there possibly be something to these claims of Gods and Goddesses though? There could be who knows...I just feel much research is needed. Not claiming to be smarter then anyone in saying that just expressing my own thoughts.

In a sense I do feel drawn to certain Pagan ideas though, won't lie. It definitely rings my interests and certainly seems to resonates far better within me. Though at this point, because there's still so much to learn, I choose to be skeptical.

And to answer the question:

It probably won't immediately become a utopia right off the bat if that's what you're wondering. In truth, I think it'd be better to simply acknowledge the fact that not every one is or should be an exact cookie cutter of one another. It seems people will always have their differences. I think we're all capable of bringing about that kinda change regardless of belief. Cause like it or not, we all inhabit the same tiny blue speck adrift this amazing cosmos full of mystery and wonder.

peace :)

Medusa
12 Oct 2015, 01:44
Unless every atheists removes their own political agenda, this world will still suck.
We may not believe in deity, but we pretty much believe in a lot of dumb things.

Global warming or lack of it, chemtrails (whatever you think they are), abortion rights or non rights, how to raise children, vegans....the world without religion is still stock full of dummies.

Spiral Arms
17 Oct 2015, 13:08
You can remove religion entirely and yet other elements of tribalism, racism, sexism etc. would still exist.

However they wouldn't be able to rest on the "god said it, that settles it" arguments that has caused so much idiocy to come into our politics in this country.

Gleb
19 Oct 2015, 11:07
There will be always some good and bad in everything. In both worlds - with and without religion. So it doesn't matter.

ThePaganMafia
19 Oct 2015, 18:13
Actually, it does matter. Religion by its very nature precludes critical thinking. It requires faith over reason. Feeling over substance. All is fine when you separate both from science, politics, and real issues but when it dictates policy, causes people to fly planes into buildings, create war, and is basis for prejudice there is a problem and it does matter.

Make the argument that things would be no different without religion-that war, death, and bad things would happen at the same rate but in actuality they wouldn't. Religion regards our progress. Try to get anyone but a Christian to win a presidential election. Try to find equal rights as a woman in Saudi Arabia. I wonder where the Catholic Churches death toll stands?

People will still be people and still have all their failings but let's not pretend religion has not had a profound negative affect on this.

Medusa
19 Oct 2015, 21:40
Lol. Wut?
You think religion causes people to lose the capacity for critical thinking? Holy hell man. WE (everyone) are not the best at critical thinking. Ever wonder why people still do this day can't figure out that if you stick your weiner in a lady hole, a baby may pop out 9 months later? Ever wonder why we pick up a piece of food off the floor and count to 5 before we eat it? Ever wonder why we keep going back to the same person, even when they abuse us, thinking this time will be different? Ever wonder why we think it's perfectly ok to go out wearing white pants on your menstrual cycle? Why some men think yeah, if I cat call this chic on the street she will totally go out with me!

Critical thinking my ass. We are dum dums. Through and through. Take away religion and we are still that same dum dum. With just one less scape goat to blame for our lack of critical thinking.

Gleb
19 Oct 2015, 22:29
Actually, it does matter. Religion by its very nature precludes critical thinking. It requires faith over reason. Feeling over substance. All is fine when you separate both from science, politics, and real issues but when it dictates policy, causes people to fly planes into buildings, create war, and is basis for prejudice there is a problem and it does matter.

Make the argument that things would be no different without religion-that war, death, and bad things would happen at the same rate but in actuality they wouldn't. Religion regards our progress. Try to get anyone but a Christian to win a presidential election. Try to find equal rights as a woman in Saudi Arabia. I wonder where the Catholic Churches death toll stands?

People will still be people and still have all their failings but let's not pretend religion has not had a profound negative affect on this.

Then you didn't do enough research, TPM. The Pope of Vatican for instance, since you mentioned Christianity, has a Chemistry degree. How many religious Jews there are who won Nobel Prizes... There was a Muslim who won a Nobel Prize. My physics teacher has a second degree and is religious. He's an awesome person.
Try reading more about the subject. Many pagans view both science and religion alike. I said it earlier in other threads and am saying it again - religion and christianity are two sides of the different coin.

Of course, religion much depends on the people believing in it. That's why we have terrorists all over the world. But like I mentioned earlier, religious people can be people of science as well.

thalassa
20 Oct 2015, 05:25
...and without religion, there would be no debate here over all of this, because there would be no internet, because there would be no computers, because there would be no electricity, because there would be no inquiry into magnetism, because there would be no alchemy, because there would be no magic, because there would be no interaction with spirits...

And we, as a species, having never tapped into the unseen world around us as a form of bonding beyond family and tribe, would still be nomadic tribesmen wandering the earth warring over who gets first dibs at the watering hole.

(I've been watching WAY too much "How we got to now")

ThePaganMafia
20 Oct 2015, 06:40
Yes, religion does cause people to.lose their capacity for critical thinking. When faith causes you to reject facts that is a failure of critical thinking. But, I believe I also said that people would still be people with all their failings. I never said religion was the one cause of stupidity I said religion is a magnifier of this.

Religion held its purpose when we were nomadic tribesman wandering the Earth and couldn't figure out where lightning or earthquakes came from. Religion, was indeed the catalyst of civilization. But, then we also didn't know where lightning or earthquakes came from.

thalassa
20 Oct 2015, 07:04
Religion held its purpose when we were nomadic tribesman wandering the Earth and couldn't figure out where lightning or earthquakes came from. Religion, was indeed the catalyst of civilization. But, then we also didn't know where lightning or earthquakes came from.

And religion still has purpose, else there would no longer be religion. You may not agree with that purpose, but that doesn't negate it.

If for no other reason that there are still places on earth that don't know where lightning and earthquakes and (rain and disease) come from.

And science has been responsible for plenty of stupidity.

anunitu
20 Oct 2015, 07:14
Cause Science is the BOMB!!!!

DragonsFriend
20 Oct 2015, 08:40
literally, science is the bomb but it is also about many other things. Religion has a very specific place where it excels in adding to the comfort of mankind. When it is used to govern people it is less than Ideal.

Gleb
20 Oct 2015, 09:03
No need to be general. Far from all religions turn away from science.

anunitu
20 Oct 2015, 09:17
Tis true,where would the internet be without science? where would your time go without TV...where would you be with no car,or plane?

Gleb
20 Oct 2015, 09:22
Science is a good thing. Just saying that religion and science are two views of the same thing.

Briton
20 Oct 2015, 09:39
If religion had never existed we would be in a very, very boring world.

No Pyramids, probably no Stone Circles, no meso-American ziggurats, no ancient legends like Beowulf, Epic of Gilgamesh, or fantastic architecture like Hindu temples and Traditional Christian cathedrals built to inspire people about the possibility of a world unseen.

No bonfire nights in England, no Christmas, Yule, Easter, no Classical art such as the Cistene chapel. No festivals of light in Asia, no holidays (holy days) we'd have no purpose to live beyond procreation. We would exist, but our mental capacity would be stunted for a lack of purpose, even if that purpose is imaginary.

Then, one has to ask, what is the difference between religion and ideology? The belief that a certain way of life can give us a better life. No industrial revolution, no great literature convincing us to challenge the scientific consensus (which we should, even if we believe it ourselves) because, well, why bother? It wouldn't make a difference.

Then there is the poor argument that religion precludes critical thinking. Muslims named hundreds of our stars and gave us algorithms and algebra, Hindus gave us our maths, Christians and deists gave us much of the understanding of physics that we have, Stone Age people around the world calculated the cycles of the moon.

Medusa
20 Oct 2015, 10:22
Yes, religion does cause people to.lose their capacity for critical thinking. When faith causes you to reject facts that is a failure of critical thinking. But, I believe I also said that people would still be people with all their failings. I never said religion was the one cause of stupidity I said religion is a magnifier of this.

Says the man who hitchhiked the wrong way. Good going Mr Critical Thinker :;):

ThePaganMafia
20 Oct 2015, 20:49
A wizard never hitchikes the wrong way, Frodo Baggins. Nor does he hitchike the right way. He hitchikes precisely where he means to.

-totally legit LOTR quote

Medusa
20 Oct 2015, 21:31
A wizard never hitchikes the wrong way, Frodo Baggins. Nor does he hitchike the right way. He hitchikes precisely where he means to.

-totally legit LOTR quote

Lol.
http://gif-finder.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/KenJeongillallowit.gif

Gleb
23 Oct 2015, 08:05
Pretty much this. I know some atheists who are great people and friends. There are good and bad people in every group. Theists (to be more general), atheists, black, white and any other group.