PDA

View Full Version : Christmas on a Budget

volcaniclastic
23 Nov 2015, 08:13
I figure we're all a broke lot, so let's discuss doing Christmas (or Yuletide, if that's yo thing) on a budget.

I won't be going home for Christmas (because I never do), so I have to come up with some cheap but thoughtful gifts to mail home to close friends and family.

My usuals are:
- A metric ton of cookies. Gingersnap, thumbprint, shortbread, etc.
- This year my mom mailed me some bulk beeswax. So I am going to do a batch of drip candles.
- I am about 1/100000th the way through a complex cross-stitch for friends. This may not end up being a Christmas present if I don't get it finished in time.
- infused liquors

What do you guys do? (aka plz give me suggestions, haha)

Ula
23 Nov 2015, 08:39
The kids get gifts, usually gift cards now a days. For adults and coworkers, I do a mug from the dollar store. I get a good box of cocoa and slip the packets between people. Cookies, pumpkin roll. This year they all get homemade vanilla extract.

DanieMarie
23 Nov 2015, 08:43
I'm also a fan of making things. I usually spend the couple of weeks leading up to christmas sewing or crocheting. This year, it will be quilted pot holders. Quilted pot holders for everyone!

Munin-Hugin
23 Nov 2015, 09:36
As you said 8m pretty broke this year, and last year, and the year before .. lol. Anyway, last year I made everyone a set of 4 seasonally scented candles: cinnamon, pine, cranberry, and peppermint. This year, I'm going to make a little basket of muffins, cookies, and a handmade ornament. I've got the top from an old glass table that I'm going to smash, grind down the sharp edges on the hand sized pieces, then paint things like snowflakes and pinecones on the glass.

iris
23 Nov 2015, 10:02
I'm not too broke, but I like making gifts (and saving money. Don't really feel like going broke).
Our families will be getting stuff for the kitchen mostly - we got a lot of gifts certificates for various kitchen stores after the wedding that we really don't know what to use for. I did buy something for my sis in law, but I'm also making her boxes of bertie blotts every flavour beans and chocolate frogs, candy is cheap and I found free templates online, perfect for geeks and kids.
A few of my friends are getting homemade jewelry, I'm making some wire wrap tree of life pendants, bought wire cheap, have lots of beads and stuff lying around. I made some earings too :)

kalynraye
23 Nov 2015, 10:34
I Love making the infused liquors. Thats one we haven't done in a while. So lets see.

-jams and jellies in cute little jars.
-dry mix of cookies in jars
-photo collage on canvas. you can get canvas super cheap at a craft store and then print out pics on reg paper and mog pog them bad boys and gloss.
-candle light supper. so my family is LARGE and gifts are hard to buy for everyone so we look for funny cheap things. One year my aunt bought a ton of cheap candles and holders, and then easy one pot food like instant ramen and gave those to the adults. I found it hilarious, and loved it.

I need to think some more. Mom makes scarves, hats pot holders.

volcaniclastic
23 Nov 2015, 11:30
I Love making the infused liquors. Thats one we haven't done in a while. So lets see.

-jams and jellies in cute little jars.
-dry mix of cookies in jars
-photo collage on canvas. you can get canvas super cheap at a craft store and then print out pics on reg paper and mog pog them bad boys and gloss.
-candle light supper. so my family is LARGE and gifts are hard to buy for everyone so we look for funny cheap things. One year my aunt bought a ton of cheap candles and holders, and then easy one pot food like instant ramen and gave those to the adults. I found it hilarious, and loved it.

I need to think some more. Mom makes scarves, hats pot holders.

Oh, dry mix cookies in a jar! I totally forgot about that one. It looks great when done right!

...and I'm now going to steal your candlelit dinner idea. All my best friends are going to get tealights and ramen, haha!

What kind of infused liquors do you make? I've made a few, but my favourites were cherry bourbon and apple pie vodka.

kalynraye
23 Nov 2015, 11:42
Oh oh oh ornaments for the tree are always fun. I like the peppermint candy ones like this

http://www.reynoldskitchens.com/easy-recipes/recipe-items/peppermint-ornamints/

or gingerbread ornaments. they smell great too.

http://www.katyelliott.com/blog/2011/12/cinnamon-applesauce-heart-ornaments.html

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, dry mix cookies in a jar! I totally forgot about that one. It looks great when done right!

...and I'm now going to steal your candlelit dinner idea. All my best friends are going to get tealights and ramen, haha!

What kind of infused liquors do you make? I've made a few, but my favourites were cherry bourbon and apple pie vodka.

Lets see we did a black pepper vodka(good for bloody marys)
papaya vodka
carrot vodka
oolong tea vodka
lemongrass vodka
opal basil vodka
kaffir lime vodka
peach vodka
pear gin
bacon bourbon( that was for my pastry chef)

the fruit ones we tried with dried fruits instead of fresh fruits. The pineapple wasn't as strong as I wanted so if I make them again I would probably try frest pineapple maybe just the core. I really like carrot juice and with pineapple its freakin amazing which is where I got the idea for carrot vodka.

The cherry bourbon sounds great and I love apple pie, how did you make that one?

habbalah
23 Nov 2015, 12:57
Depending on how young the kids are, you can find stuff at the dollar store. Or, take them and tell them they can pick out five things (so, five dollars). A lot of younger kids would probably love that.

Medusa
23 Nov 2015, 13:20
Ahh the joys of atheism.

I buy me something.:D

volcaniclastic
23 Nov 2015, 13:21
Oh oh oh ornaments for the tree are always fun. I like the peppermint candy ones like this

http://www.reynoldskitchens.com/easy-recipes/recipe-items/peppermint-ornamints/

or gingerbread ornaments. they smell great too.

http://www.katyelliott.com/blog/2011/12/cinnamon-applesauce-heart-ornaments.html

- - - Updated - - -

Lets see we did a black pepper vodka(good for bloody marys)
papaya vodka
carrot vodka
oolong tea vodka
lemongrass vodka
opal basil vodka
kaffir lime vodka
peach vodka
pear gin
bacon bourbon( that was for my pastry chef)

the fruit ones we tried with dried fruits instead of fresh fruits. The pineapple wasn't as strong as I wanted so if I make them again I would probably try frest pineapple maybe just the core. I really like carrot juice and with pineapple its freakin amazing which is where I got the idea for carrot vodka.

The cherry bourbon sounds great and I love apple pie, how did you make that one?

How did you make bacon bourbon work? Fats and alcohols don't mix in solution.

Apple pie vodka was: chop apples thinly sliced into a mason jar. Cover with vodka. I think I shook it once per day for...four weeks? Afterwards, strain vodka, and then create a caramel simple syrup. Combine at 25% (or to desired sweetness). Tasted like candy apples.

ThePaganMafia
23 Nov 2015, 14:47
My son is the only person in my Christmas budget. But, hes also 2 1/2 so theres not much he needs for Christmas.

volcaniclastic
23 Nov 2015, 15:07
My son is the only person in my Christmas budget. But, hes also 2 1/2 so theres not much he needs for Christmas.

...you have a son?! I somehow missed this.

- - - Updated - - -

Ahh the joys of atheism.

I buy me something.:D

Also atheist. Still celebrate Christmas. Suck it. :p

thalassa
23 Nov 2015, 15:38
The kids are making potholders and perler bead snowflakes for grandparents. I also do tea blends and bath salts and salve sets, crochet scarves and hats and fingerless mitts, sewn bags (I'm working on a complete set of reusable cloth bags and "wrapping paper"), random recycled crafts, etc.

kalynraye
23 Nov 2015, 22:32
How did you make bacon bourbon work? Fats and alcohols don't mix in solution.

Apple pie vodka was: chop apples thinly sliced into a mason jar. Cover with vodka. I think I shook it once per day for...four weeks? Afterwards, strain vodka, and then create a caramel simple syrup. Combine at 25% (or to desired sweetness). Tasted like candy apples.

So dice up your bacon and cook it till crispy, not burned though. Add all of it to the bourbon and leave for a month. Shaking once a day. At the end of the month put it in the frig and the fat solidifies and strain with a few coffee filters to strain the fat and bacon pieces.

Will be making apple pie vodka

Medusa
23 Nov 2015, 23:12

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I celebrate all the good stuff. But I don't buy presents. I eat all the foods. Drink all the drinks. Watch all the claymation cartoons. Only when I had my mom did I buy her gifts. Other than that I usually just pick something to buy meeeee!

ThePaganMafia
24 Nov 2015, 01:03

Indeed, his name is Jean-Luc.

DanieMarie
24 Nov 2015, 02:03

Hahah yeah. I'm not atheist, but almost all of my friends and family are (those that aren't are agnostic). Every single one of them still celebrates Christmas and exchanges gifts.

volcaniclastic
24 Nov 2015, 13:31
Well, apple pie bourbon and mint bourbon have been started. Cherry bourbon is on the docket for later tonight when the boy brings me over some cherries from his freezer.

And I made peppermint sugar scrub and lemon sugar scrubs last night.

Today I went out and got a few little things:
- children's book for the best friend's daughter
- some xmas fabric to sew handwarmers with (plus a big bag of rice)
- flavoured hot chocolate stocking stuffer type things. $1 each, and my family dies for them
- some random snacks to toss in there

I really should sit down with a list of who is getting what. So far, I just have a list of who I'd like to gift things to, and then a giant list of homemade things I want to make. I should consolidate the two.

kalynraye
30 Nov 2015, 22:25
So KP has decided he wants to do handmade gifts this year and I don't know what to make him. As I said before I'm not very crafty and though we like make food items and liquor for other people its really not something I want to make for him. So please keep the ideas coming.

anubisa
01 Dec 2015, 02:55
It's somewhat hard for me to get X-Mas gifts. I do mail Christmas cards every year since most of my family are Catholic or Christians, but I do keep a look out for generalized cards. Some that have Santa, things like that, or some that say 'Happy Holidays' instead of the generic 'Merry Christmas.' This year I am being crafty. I am knitting my nephew a wool blanket in seven colors. I also get him a Dr. Seuss book every year. I am making my parents a scrapbook. I am getting my sister and her husband a gift card. I am also getting one of my friends a gift card as well. This year is just going to be hard. Anyway, that is what I plan to do for X-Mas.

DanieMarie
01 Dec 2015, 05:23
The state-funded museums had a book sale this weekend, where they put up a lot of the unsold books from the museum gift shops on sale at steeply reduced prices. I got a few gifts for H's family there (who are all intellectuals and incredibly hard to buy/make gifts for).

B. de Corbin
01 Dec 2015, 05:37
The state-funded museums had a book sale this weekend, where they put up a lot of the unsold books from the museum gift shops on sale at steeply reduced prices. I got a few gifts for H's family there (who are all intellectuals and incredibly hard to buy/make gifts for).

That was lucky, museum books are great!

DanieMarie
01 Dec 2015, 13:03
That was lucky, museum books are great!

I saw it on Facebook! Finally, following the state museums on Facebook paid off!

volcaniclastic
03 Dec 2015, 12:42
So KP has decided he wants to do handmade gifts this year and I don't know what to make him. As I said before I'm not very crafty and though we like make food items and liquor for other people its really not something I want to make for him. So please keep the ideas coming.

Buy pocket knife. Engrave his name on the handle.

thalassa
03 Dec 2015, 12:53
Buy pocket knife. Engrave his name on the handle.

oooh....thi might be a good idea for the "from the kids to daddy" gift

DragonsFriend
04 Dec 2015, 09:14
My wife wants a low table/cabinet to put plants on in the library and wants four doors for storage in it. I will be trying to make it for her.
I installed two lights in the ceiling in the library because it didn't have ceiling lights at all. Now it can be used as a classroom. I repainted it with the colors my wife chose. So those are our yule gifts to each other this year.

ThePaganMafia
05 Dec 2015, 09:15
The V.A. had a toy drive for the children of veterans. I was able to pick up Jean-Luc a few cool things. I got him this huge Tobka dump truck, a puzzle floor mat, and same gadget that does colors and shapes.....I'm not sure what it does, really.

pillar
10 Dec 2015, 23:09
I got my parents and brother all a resqme. It cost me ten bucks a piece and cuts seat belts and easily breaks car windows In case you are in an accident and the car catches fire and you can't get out, or if you end up in the water. Fits right on a key chain.

I also got them a few other things. My mom the first four seasons of the good wife, which she said she wanted months ago cause she's missed episodes. My dad I got a history channel box set that is like 17 DVDs worth of History Channel shows I know he missed. Probably a video game for my brother. I couldn't help but buy myself an eye of Horus necklace, for 9 bucks, while I was at it, as I'm not asking for anything but gift cards from them so I can pool it with money I get from my grandparents every year and buy one of the new versions of the Nintendo 3DS.

I'm actually excited for Christmas this year as I took myself out of the gift giving pool the last few years, cause I didn't want to save for it. At first I figured I would be rewarded with something nice, like I bought it myself, if I participated, but since, I've been reminded how nice it is to think back on things they've shown interest in, and give them something they might enjoy. I've found I really enjoy that. It's the spirit of giving I guess.

Plus I won't have to spend another Christmas all depressed, while I watch them get gifts they really want while I just get small things like socks and scratch off lottery tickets.

Thanks for putting up with my somewhat off topic post.