PDA

View Full Version : We have chickens

Ula
25 Dec 2015, 12:21
Got the boy six for Yule/Christmas. Cutest little things. We can't have roosters so we will have to wait and see.

anunitu
25 Dec 2015, 12:24
Outside chickens I hope. Just we once had a chick for Easter,and tried to raise it indoors...Bad idea(When I was a kid in an apartment)

habbalah
25 Dec 2015, 19:08
There's nothing better than eggs straight from the chicken's butt.

EndlessCravings
25 Dec 2015, 19:14
Chicks are adorable.

Ula
26 Dec 2015, 15:24
Yes outside, lol. We have a small yard. Right now they are in the basement till they don't need the heat lamp.

Juniper
27 Dec 2015, 08:48
Since this is so off topic now maybe the mods could lock it?

I know you requested it locked but I like the talk about chickens so I'm giving this thread one more shot. I've removed the off topic posts.

Moving forward, keep this on topic, people! Or start your own thread.

DavidMcCann
27 Dec 2015, 10:53
For those pressed for space, there are always bantams
http://www.bantamclub.com/aba/
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/222818/bantam-pictures

And silkies are pretty adorable, too.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/313367/silkie-pictures

I wish I could keep some, but the other inhabitants of my apartment block would probably prefer to keep the back lawn.

kalynraye
27 Dec 2015, 11:19
My Dad has chickens that are my "nephews". Everyday come rain or shine if my nephew is at Papa's house he goes and feeds his chickens and collects their eggs. We are never on short supply of eggs. I love fresh eggs. I can't say I personally want a chicken coup but I have no problem buying fresh eggs from someone. My Dad takes a large amount of them to a low income senior citizen housing development once a week and sells a dozen eggs for a dollar to anyone who wants them. He then puts the money in a saving account for my nephew.

Ula
27 Dec 2015, 12:03
My Dad has chickens that are my "nephews". Everyday come rain or shine if my nephew is at Papa's house he goes and feeds his chickens and collects their eggs. We are never on short supply of eggs. I love fresh eggs. I can't say I personally want a chicken coup but I have no problem buying fresh eggs from someone. My Dad takes a large amount of them to a low income senior citizen housing development once a week and sells a dozen eggs for a dollar to anyone who wants them. He then puts the money in a saving account for my nephew.

That is sweet. We have all kinds of places around her would like free or cheap eggs. I will keep that in mind.

volcaniclastic
27 Dec 2015, 13:15
It's probably a ways off for me, but one day, I'd like to have chickens. Just like...four of them. Or maybe six.

Rae'ya
27 Dec 2015, 16:52
I had chickens as a kid and really miss having them. Then I ended up rescuing two ducklings... so now we have fresh duck eggs and two of the sweetest, most loving ducks you can imagine.

I don't think we'll do ducks AND chooks until we have a larger property, but I would recommend backyard chooks to anyone. Except if you need to keep your lawn pristine. Ducks don't ruin the lawn badly though, unless you have them on the same patch 24/7.

Ula
28 Dec 2015, 06:39
I had chickens as a kid and really miss having them. Then I ended up rescuing two ducklings... so now we have fresh duck eggs and two of the sweetest, most loving ducks you can imagine.

I don't think we'll do ducks AND chooks until we have a larger property, but I would recommend backyard chooks to anyone. Except if you need to keep your lawn pristine. Ducks don't ruin the lawn badly though, unless you have them on the same patch 24/7.

We live two streets over from the river and had considered ducks but with all the animals on the Island we were afraid they would get killed. The chicks we can put in the coop at night.

B. de Corbin
28 Dec 2015, 06:49
We live two streets over from the river and had considered ducks but with all the animals on the Island we were afraid they would get killed. The chicks we can put in the coop at night.

We used to coop our ducks, and we cooped geese & peafowl as well. We have to here - to many carnivorous critters.

Ula
28 Dec 2015, 10:20
We used to coop our ducks, and we cooped geese & peafowl as well. We have to here - to many carnivorous critters.

Would ducks and chickens get along in the same coop?

B. de Corbin
28 Dec 2015, 11:54
Would ducks and chickens get along in the same coop?

Yes, no problem.

But don't mix geese with smaller birds (you can have one, to act as "mother") because they tend to trample smaller birds with their big flappy feet.

P.S. I prefer duck eggs to chicken eggs ;)

kalynraye
28 Dec 2015, 17:14
Yes, no problem.

But don't mix geese with smaller birds (you can have one, to act as "mother") because they tend to trample smaller birds with their big flappy feet.

P.S. I prefer duck eggs to chicken eggs ;)

Duck eggs are amazing!!! When I was younger we had ducks and chickens together. Dad hatched both chickens and ducks so they grew up as a family.

Rae'ya
28 Dec 2015, 19:18

At the old house we cooped ours at night. At the current house their pen is fox proof and we'll build a fox proof one at the new house. But cooping ducks at night is perfectly fine.

B. de Corbin
29 Dec 2015, 12:10
At the old house we cooped ours at night. At the current house their pen is fox proof and we'll build a fox proof one at the new house. But cooping ducks at night is perfectly fine.

Here we have 'coons, 'possums, bobcats, bear, and a variety of weasel-y animals, ranging from martins to minks, and probobly some predators we haven't met yet.

There's really nothing we can do to keep them completely safe, especially from the weasel-ies, that can get through a tiny hole and reek massive destruction in a single night. You need to know your local predators, and reconcile yourself to the reality that, over time, nature always wins.

thalassa
29 Dec 2015, 15:47
Here we have 'coons, 'possums, bobcats, bear, and a variety of weasel-y animals, ranging from martins to minks, and probably some predators we haven't met yet.

This...plus gators :D

Rae'ya
29 Dec 2015, 19:22
Here we have 'coons, 'possums, bobcats, bear, and a variety of weasel-y animals, ranging from martins to minks, and probobly some predators we haven't met yet.

There's really nothing we can do to keep them completely safe, especially from the weasel-ies, that can get through a tiny hole and reek massive destruction in a single night. You need to know your local predators, and reconcile yourself to the reality that, over time, nature always wins.

In South Australia we only need to worry about foxes, quolls and birds of prey (who will snatch juvenile chooks and ducks in broad daylight if you don't have a roof or netting over them). But in other parts of Aus they also have pythons that will take adults, tassie devils, dingos and crocs to worry about. Part of why I live down south! I'm glad I don't have to worry about racoons and weasels.

B. de Corbin
30 Dec 2015, 05:37
LOL - oh yeah... I forgot the hawks & eagles... When we see them circling, we hustle the birds into a covered enclosure, but generally they will go off into the woods themselves.

Fortunately, no crocs or 'gators, or other large reptiles (although, theoretically, snapping turtles might take a duck).

Man! Nature is DANGEROUS! It's a wonder anything lives at all out there.

anunitu
30 Dec 2015, 06:07
Yes Nature is dangerous,But the inner city has its predators as well...The crazy penny tossers off high rises,the open manholes of death,the drivers who loose control and crash into your favorite restaurant.. and the dog poo quicksand traps.

B. de Corbin
30 Dec 2015, 06:17
Yes Nature is dangerous,But the inner city has its predators as well...The crazy penny tossers off high rises,the open manholes of death,the drivers who loose control and crash into your favorite restaurant.. and the dog poo quicksand traps.

But are the chickens safe?

That is the question (Shakespeare, for the uneducated).

Ula
30 Dec 2015, 06:17
I worry about cats and raccoons. I don't think the opossums would be an issue. Now I might get some ducks for Easter.

B. de Corbin
30 Dec 2015, 06:26
I worry about cats and raccoons. I don't think the opossums would be an issue. Now I might get some ducks for Easter.

Ducks are fun. They don't need a pond (runner ducks can't even swim), but most enjoy a place to paddle around. We use a little kid pool.

Rae'ya
30 Dec 2015, 17:11
Ducks are fun. They don't need a pond (runner ducks can't even swim), but most enjoy a place to paddle around. We use a little kid pool.

Ours also have a kid paddle pool (one of those clam shell type ones), which I drain and refill 1-2 times a week. When our house is built, I have plans for a proper pond with either a pump drainage system, or elevated with a gravity draining system... or aquaponics. Depends on when I run out of money! The only think with the kid pond is that it is a lot of work!

Ula, a kid pool is perfectly fine if you can commit to refilling it regularly and don't let it get all stagnant and gross. My little duck actually doesn't even get in the pool very often, just the Muscovy... I have a large cat litter tray that I fill up every day for the little duck. He sits in that for hours and will have his bath in that. As long as they have constant access to water that is deep enough to duck their nostrils and eyes into, they're fine. I have one of those chicken waterers, plus a square tub that is designed for putting in aviaries (which is what they both tend to use for cleaning their nostrils out), plus the pool and litter tray. But I could take out the pool and litter tray and they'd be perfectly safe and healthy. I just like to give them as much opportunity as possible to mimic natural behaviours.