PDA

View Full Version : Can't Walk

LearningMan
01 Jan 2016, 09:02
In the past few weeks, I've experienced an inability to walk. This started on December 12th, 2015. Before this, my walk became strange and off-balance, and a doctor diagnosed me with an inner ear infection. I was admitted to the hospital for two days before being let out, though they found nothing physically wrong with my leg. This temporarily made me able to walk again, but I soon lost my ability to walk again. To move around, I have to lean on something. Even standing has become impossible without leaning. Whenever I try to move or stand without leaning on something, I fall onto my knees. In addition, I've also experienced large amounts of coughing, and my arm sometimes flails about uncontrollably. My dad refuses to take me to a doctor, and he expects me to attend school in this condition. What do I do?

EndlessCravings
01 Jan 2016, 09:33
Tell your mom? if that isn't an option you could try pressing him again. Are you eating regularly?

LearningMan
01 Jan 2016, 09:35
Yes, I am eating regularly.

callmeclemens
01 Jan 2016, 09:36
The arm flailing us odd, but the walking bit sounds like chronic fatigue syndrome. I've experienced something similar with somebody very close to me. It's also been my experience that this, coupled with depression or anxiety can manifest itself in creative ways.

In the instance of the individual close to me, it initially was paralysis if the right leg, though as she sought treatment it seemed to move around from place to place.

I may be far of base in your situation, but for her addressing anxiety was the best treatment.

anunitu
01 Jan 2016, 09:42
As to the inner ear thing,I had something like that as a side effect from medication a long time back.

- - - Updated - - -

Also if you are considered a minor still,your Father "Could" be charged with child neglect.

iris
01 Jan 2016, 10:07
Are you dizzy og nauseaus? I had something with my inner ear (virus) a few years ago, where I couldn't even sit straight on a chair without falling off, but that wasn't just tiredness, it was very much due to dizzyness... anxiety, depression, stress and such can do that to you too... but a doctor really should make VERY sure it's nothing physical before blaming the mind... another thing that springs to mind is vitamin deficiency, lacking various vitamins can really mess with your body...
Do you have school nurse or something that might be able to convince your dad you need to see a doctor?

LearningMan
01 Jan 2016, 10:12
There is a school nurse.

habbalah
01 Jan 2016, 11:45
You really should get back to the hospital. I'm not a doctor, but I'm worried it might be something more serious like a spinal or nerve issue. Go to the nurse and explain your issue. She might have the ability to get something done.

LearningMan
03 Jan 2016, 17:19
Today, another symptom has presented itself; my head is currently shaking and moving around uncontrollably.

EndlessCravings
03 Jan 2016, 17:35
Infections can spread. I'd advise you to talk to someone else other than your parent.

LearningMan
03 Jan 2016, 17:48
I plan to see the school nurse tomorrow to get her to convince my dad to get me some help.

LearningMan
09 Jan 2016, 14:45
Well, in another development, my upper arm has become weak to the point that I can't lift my hand to the sky. All my dad has done is get me a cane and two dumbbells.

habbalah
09 Jan 2016, 19:14
Well, in another development, my upper arm has become weak to the point that I can't lift my hand to the sky. All my dad has done is get me a cane and two dumbbells.

Please go to the ER. Whatever is wrong with you is not normal.

Azvanna
10 Jan 2016, 01:42
Please go to the ER. Whatever is wrong with you is not normal.

Please do this. Habbalah is right.
What did the school nurse say?

LearningMan
10 Jan 2016, 07:12
I don't think the school nurse said anything. All she did was send me home. Tomorrow, I plan to take a cab to the hospital while my dad isn't home.

B. de Corbin
10 Jan 2016, 07:20
Absolutely MUST see a dr. At the ER, you will be asked why you are there without your father. Tell them!

habbalah
10 Jan 2016, 12:41
Please, I hope you did this. I'm very worried about what might be wrong with you.

LearningMan
10 Jan 2016, 12:56
Please, I hope you did this. I'm very worried about what might be wrong with you.
Tomorrow, I'll take a cab to the hospital while my dad is not home.

LearningMan
11 Jan 2016, 11:16
Today I went to the hospital, but my dad soon took me out of it. He still has the nerve to lecture me and claim that nothing is wrong with me.

iris
11 Jan 2016, 11:21
Today I went to the hospital, but my dad soon took me out of it. He still has the nerve to lecture me and claim that nothing is wrong with me.

Did they at least have a chance to look you over first?

LearningMan
11 Jan 2016, 11:30
Nope. They brought me to a room, then the police talked to me, then they called my dad, then my dad picked me up.

habbalah
11 Jan 2016, 18:29
At this point, you should probably get social services involved. I'm pretty sure denying a child medical treatment for something serious falls under child abuse.

LearningMan
12 Jan 2016, 07:54
After badgering my dad, he finally agreed to take me to a doctor today.

LearningMan
12 Jan 2016, 15:58
My dad misled me!!! I thought I was going to a medical doctor!!

kalynraye
12 Jan 2016, 16:08
My dad misled me!!! I thought I was going to a medical doctor!!

where did you go?? And if he doesn't take you to a doctor give me your information and I will call cps myself on him!

Juniper
12 Jan 2016, 16:09
You know, 911 isn't just for police. They send ambulances too. If he won't take you to the doctor, they can come to you. Last resort?
Although whatever doctor he's taking you to can also do referrals.

LearningMan
12 Jan 2016, 16:16
where did you go?? And if he doesn't take you to a doctor give me your information and I will call cps myself on him!
He took me to a therapist/psychotherapist.

kalynraye
12 Jan 2016, 16:21

and what did they say?

habbalah
12 Jan 2016, 16:21

Tell the therapist what your dad is doing. They legally have to report it.

LearningMan
12 Jan 2016, 16:25
and what did they say?
They just told me to stretch a rubber band on my arm and tighten my arms and legs.

Juniper
12 Jan 2016, 16:30
What does your mom say? Got any other family you can talk to about this?

habbalah
12 Jan 2016, 16:32
They just told me to stretch a rubber band on my arm and tighten my arms and legs.

Uh. Are sure you saw a therapist? That's the stupidest advice I ever heard. The rubber band on your arm would reduce blood circulation, for starters.

LearningMan
12 Jan 2016, 16:41
Uh. Are sure you saw a therapist? That's the stupidest advice I ever heard. The rubber band on your arm would reduce blood circulation, for starters.
The plan is to put the rubber band around the arm, pull on it, then let it go.

- - - Updated - - -

What does your mom say? Got any other family you can talk to about this?
Nope. No other family to talk to.

habbalah
12 Jan 2016, 17:49
The plan is to put the rubber band around the arm, pull on it, then let it go.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope. No other family to talk to.

According to Google, the only legal time a parent can refuse medical treatment to a child is when it's against religious belief, or if they want to seek a different treatment for a terminal diagnosis. If a child was to pass away because of refusal of medical attention, the parent could be tried for manslaughter. Call 911. Explain your situation to the cops and tell them that you're afraid for your health. Get into an ambulance. Explain your situation to the intake staff. Get treated. If your dad comes, tell the cops you refuse to leave until you're treated.

thalassa
13 Jan 2016, 09:09
How did you get to the doctor?

LearningMan
13 Jan 2016, 10:12
Do you mean the hospital?

MaskedOne
13 Jan 2016, 10:23
According to Google, the only legal time a parent can refuse medical treatment to a child is when it's against religious belief, or if they want to seek a different treatment for a terminal diagnosis. If a child was to pass away because of refusal of medical attention, the parent could be tried for manslaughter. Call 911. Explain your situation to the cops and tell them that you're afraid for your health. Get into an ambulance. Explain your situation to the intake staff. Get treated. If your dad comes, tell the cops you refuse to leave until you're treated.

Is this a federal reg or a state one? If it's state then there may be variation.

habbalah
13 Jan 2016, 11:25
Is this a federal reg or a state one? If it's state then there may be variation.

Hmm. I looked into it on a federal law level, and it's kind of vague:

State laws typically give much leeway to parents and allow them to make medical decisions for their own children unless their decisions endanger the life of a child. Many courts will allow a state child protection agency to make medical decisions for a child if:

The medical community is in agreement about the appropriate course of treatment for the child;

The expected outcome of that treatment is a relatively normal life with a reasonably good quality of life;

The child would die without the treatment; and

The parent is refusing consent for the treatment.

If any of the criteria described above are not present in a given case then many states will defer to the parent’s decisions regarding medical treatment for the minor child. For example, if a child has a terminable condition and several doctors are in agreement that treatment is no longer beneficial for the child then the parents have the right to refuse treatment and seek hospice care for their child. Similarly, if different doctors suggest different courses of treatment then the parent is entitled to choose which doctor’s advice to follow without fear of being charged with a crime in what is already a heart wrenching situation.

thalassa
13 Jan 2016, 11:31
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://naehcy.org/dl/tk/hs/17_consent.doc&ved=0ahUKEwjCmOrywqfKAhXC1CYKHb0mDsYQFggeMAE&usg=AFQjCNF-PtV_TNj68VcKtTbneuy3HD-5vw&sig2=i-O4tYGud-achXOt_9qgNA

^Pdf on the medical rights of unaccompanied minors

Azvanna
13 Jan 2016, 13:58
Learningman, do you even live in the US? If so, this the tallest tale of professional misconduct I ever heard.

LearningMan
13 Jan 2016, 17:05
Learningman, do you even live in the US? If so, this the tallest tale of professional misconduct I ever heard.
Yes, I do.

Medusa
13 Jan 2016, 22:48
The rubber band is for people who are mentally having a hard time and panic a lot. It's supposed to be a behavioral modification tactic to keep you from bad habits etc.

If the shrink did that, then I'm thinking you might have a mental illness of some sort.

monsno_leedra
14 Jan 2016, 06:45
The rubber band is for people who are mentally having a hard time and panic a lot. It's supposed to be a behavioral modification tactic to keep you from bad habits etc.

If the shrink did that, then I'm thinking you might have a mental illness of some sort.

I was thinking that as well. The rubber band is a behavioral modification thing that is used quite a bit. Though it would seem to suggest that the other items mentioned might be more psychosomatic than physical. Not saying they are not physical manifestations but more induced from the patients own mind than an actual physical condition.

Simply not enough info here to make an educated guess that is not more emotional driven than factual driven I think.

LearningMan
24 Jan 2016, 19:37
Good news! A few days ago, I regained my ability to walk and stand!

faye_cat
24 Jan 2016, 19:40
Good news! A few days ago, I regained my ability to walk and stand! that's awesome! great to hear

Gleb
24 Jan 2016, 20:57
Great news, LM! :)