PDA

View Full Version : New game inspired in African culture

Eofor
08 Feb 2016, 04:08
So, there is a group in Cameroon creating an RPG game based in African culture, mythologies and stuff. It seems pretty cool, the art is awesome and the combat is truly impressive.

“We [decided] to create a game that can highlight our culture in order to give to our young brothers and sisters some elements of their customs, lore, etc.,” said Sorelle Kamdom, Kiro’o Games Community Manger, noting that African values like perseverance and the importance of building a legacy are a prominent feature in Aurion.

Kamdom is enthusiastic that Aurion’s design can reflect the rich heritage of the African culture and help people associate Africa with more than the bleak imagery of poor, uneducated people and disease.

You can find more information about the game here (http://iq.intel.com/new-game-aurion-inspired-by-african-culture/). You can watch the gameplay trailer below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyiY8f7T9e8

habbalah
08 Feb 2016, 10:04
The artwork reminds me of a PS1-era rpg, and that's not a diss. The art is gorgeous, and I love that it's a fantasy world not set in a European or Asian-inspired world. I want to play this.

anunitu
08 Feb 2016, 10:39
This reminded me of something,one FF game that was translated from the Japanese game to sell here,was censured here for the two main character's kissing at the end of the game \.
The kiss was ok in Japan,BUT not here..I was surprised at this.

Here for the fact. (http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/588330-final-fantasy-iv/faqs/5507)

Quote:
Note, however, that there were some strange forms of censorship in
FF2 US. This includes:
* Changing the scythe that was going to drop on Rosa's head in
the tower of Zott into a big metal ball.
* Taking out a frame of animation where Cecil + Rosa are
kissing so they just hug each other instead.
* Censoring swearing and rephrasing some "important" phrases
(like the few that hint that Cecil + Rosa have been sleeping together
on a long time basis--not that it's surprising that this would be
censored in the US...)
* Censoring references to death. For example:
Cid in FF4: "I'm going to blow myself up and sacrifice my life to save
you! Yang will be lonely in the afterworld!"
Cid in FF2, same situation: "Oh, I'll just get off here, hold the bad guys
off, and stay in the underworld a bit longer."

habbalah
08 Feb 2016, 13:33
A lot of games that came from Japan were censored when they hit the US. Homosexuality was a big one for that, which relationships being eliminated, changed, or the gender of a character changed. Now straight characters can have sex on screen in games (to a point), and people talk about killing all the time, no one cares. There is some progress made with characters in the queer spectrum as well.

anunitu
08 Feb 2016, 13:38
I was surprised that the US was that uptight..

habbalah
08 Feb 2016, 13:40
I was surprised that the US was that uptight..

Oh, hell yes. Some of the anime that came over and was aired for kids, such as Sailor Moon, was heavily edited down. Two of the Sailor Soldiers are in a relationship in Japan, and are changed to "cousins" in the American version. One of the gay villains is changed to a woman. Etc.

anunitu
08 Feb 2016, 13:42
I had thought that the whole sexual revolution had changed things...BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Eofor
08 Feb 2016, 13:44
If i'm not mistaken, blood was sometimes censored as well. It happened with the first Mortal Kombat I guess, but in this case it wasn't because of coming to the western world.

habbalah
08 Feb 2016, 13:56
If i'm not mistaken, blood was sometimes censored as well. It happened with the first Mortal Kombat I guess, but in this case it wasn't because of coming to the western world.

Blood was indeed often censored in anime, or turned a different color (like green). The former led to a specific moment I remember in a Sailor Moon episode where Serena slapped Darien on the back, and he quickly limped away. She was left staring at her hand in horror. It was supposed to be bloody, because he was injured, but because of the censoring, she was just staring at her hand.