PDA

View Full Version : Restraining Order: Useful Or Useless

Bartmanhomer
07 Apr 2016, 09:29
I find restraining order useless because most of the time people who's on the restraining order violates the order to continue to stalk and harrassed the victim. Also the restraining order doesn't prevent from being killed by the person. So what's your opinion on restraining order? Do you find it useful or useless?

MaskedOne
07 Apr 2016, 09:38
Have study, will travel

http://www.jaapl.org/content/38/3/376.full

The answer is apparently that they do reduce problems but the degree of reduction is variable based on a list of factors that I'm entirely too lazy to name.

DanieMarie
07 Apr 2016, 10:12
I'd say that even though they can be and are frequently violated, it's better than nothing. N'est-ce pas?

Yorin
07 Apr 2016, 10:12
I think it depends on a variety of situations as to why you're getting one as to how useful they are, as well as the intelligence level of BOTH parties. I say both because an old friend of mine (this issue was actually why she stopped speaking to me) issued one against the father of her kid because he was starting to be an abusive pos........what does SHE do? Go and visit him. Um, no sweetie-they work both ways and you going near him on purpose violates it and YOU can be arrested and lose your kid in the process.

However, they can be good as sometimes cops can't do much about a problem until certain lines have been crossed. It sucks that that's the way it is, but at least its a step. However, I do stand by the saying "Teach your kids to shoot because a restraining order is just a piece of paper" for when those kinds of really bad situations get overly out of hand.

B. de Corbin
07 Apr 2016, 10:31
I'd say that even though they can be and are frequently violated, it's better than nothing. N'est-ce pas?

This is true. Without one, the police can't actually do anything to prevent stalking or verbal harassment, since, technically, hanging around or shouting aren't against the law.

thalassa
07 Apr 2016, 14:08
Useful for this reason:

Without one, the police can't actually do anything to prevent stalking or verbal harassment, since, technically, hanging around or shouting aren't against the law.

faye_cat
08 Apr 2016, 08:18
Yup, it's useful in the fact that it starts a paper trail for the police and/or lawyers to assist with a case.

However, as touched upon, it goes both ways. And it is still only a piece of paper, so other action should be taken, especially with a violent offender.

anunitu
08 Apr 2016, 08:26
And if the person who asked for it Violates it,they(the police) will null and void it(Had a friend who did that,and it did not end well)

DragonsFriend
08 Apr 2016, 10:34
The police do not have the job (nor can they perform the job) of protecting individuals from harm. The restraining order allows the police to prosecute for violating the order, basically contempt of court without having to prove intended harm. The order provides a path but that piece of paper does not protect you. You have the responsibility to provide your own self defense. Every animal and most plants have the means to defend themselves against harm. People, being part of the animal world have the responsibility to defend themselves. They must also, therefore, have the right to defend themselves. If you live in a country that doesn't allow self defense then you are less important to your country than the animals and plants, they retain their right to self defense.

anunitu
08 Apr 2016, 10:38
Again,do not shoot me because I seem not normal to you because I have long hair,and might look like a "Crazy" biker to you..

DragonsFriend
08 Apr 2016, 10:42
Again,do not shoot me because I seem not normal to you because I have long hair,and might look like a "Crazy" biker to you..

I have long hair....
I have a few friends that are "crazy bikers"....
I would only shoot someone who was a threat to the lives or well being of those I love, including myself....
I don't know you, and you don't seem to be a threat to me or my life, why would I shoot you?

anunitu
08 Apr 2016, 10:43
Who knows....life is strange..

DragonsFriend
08 Apr 2016, 10:47
Who knows....life is strange..

People are strange - life is good.

ThePaganMafia
08 Apr 2016, 12:02
Why does DragonsFriend turn every thread into a conversation about shooting someone?

anunitu
08 Apr 2016, 12:07
I did wonder that myself PM,perhaps he really wants to shoot someone....Bucket list???

Tylluan Penry
09 Apr 2016, 00:36
Or perhaps he has already shot someone... ;)

DragonsFriend
09 Apr 2016, 06:27
It's a strange world - you just never know. (to add to a recent comment)
:rolleyes:

Medusa
09 Apr 2016, 20:46
Restraining order helps when you shoot the person who was supposed to not be near you.
Just saying.:p

Sean R. R.
10 Apr 2016, 13:39
We should replace all the guns in the world with medieval weapons.

anunitu
10 Apr 2016, 13:44
You just want to wear armor Sean,fess up..

B. de Corbin
10 Apr 2016, 14:32
We should replace all the guns in the world with medieval weapons.

I would so much prefer being shot to being in a sword fight.

Sean R. R.
10 Apr 2016, 16:03

SHH YOURE GIVING AWAY MY SECRETS

I would so much prefer being shot to being in a sword fight.

It's loads of fun... And pain.

Ula
11 Apr 2016, 07:59
I think they are useful in that a record is down of the harassment and at least something in place to be broken. It gives courts and PD's something to use when called. Do they really stop anything? In some cases yes, in some no.

Taulmaril
11 Apr 2016, 09:09

And who can blame him? Who wouldn't love to wear armor?