PDA

View Full Version : 9/11 bill

Medusa
20 Apr 2016, 10:04
I'm not sure if any of you have heard of this bill. In essence:

WASHINGTON — Saudi Arabia has told the Obama administration and members of Congress that it will sell off hundreds of billions of dollars’ worth of American assets held by the kingdom if Congress passes a bill that would allow the Saudi government to be held responsible in American courts for any role in the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.
Rest of story HERE (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/16/world/middleeast/saudi-arabia-warns-ofeconomic-fallout-if-congress-passes-9-11-bill.html?ref=politics)

What do you guys think?

sorry for the short posts. my wrist is limited so typing is hard :(

anunitu
20 Apr 2016, 10:16
I myself think it is way past time for this to come up and SA is not a happy country about it.(too bad for them)

- - - Updated - - -

Whats the term?......Let them go pound sand,they have a lot of that...

Hawkfeathers
20 Apr 2016, 11:04
My initial thought could only be posted here in the adult rant section. Basically what anunitu said.

Medusa
20 Apr 2016, 11:16
So you guys are ok with victims of terrorists here in the US can sue another country? How does that even work? Who goes to court and where?

B. de Corbin
20 Apr 2016, 11:25
It's purely symbolic - there is no way of enforcing a decision.

MaskedOne
20 Apr 2016, 11:31
Do I approve of the bill itself? Err, I could see potentially dangerous unintended consequences of this specific bill. Congress has other, safer, equally damaging ways to screw with Saudi Arabia if we want to do that.

Am I spectacularly concerned about Saudi Arabia's blustering? I'm pretty sure we have more ways to screw with Saudi Arabia than they have to return the favor so not really. My concerns are more long term than that.

Hawkfeathers
20 Apr 2016, 11:52
I could never have any involvement in anything 9/11 related where I was supposed to be impartial, logical, calm, collected, or any of that happy horsepoop, because I never will be those things about it.

Dumuzi
20 Apr 2016, 11:55
The American government will end up doing whatever the Saudis tell them to do at this point. At the same time you have to realize this would be the same as the US being OK with a Yemeni or Pakistani court putting Obama and his administration on trial for the murder of at least 100 children by his drones.

Medusa
20 Apr 2016, 11:57
I could never have any involvement in anything 9/11 related where I was supposed to be impartial, logical, calm, collected, or any of that happy horsepoop, because I never will be those things about it.

I totally understand that. But I must add the rest of the world (there are countries where terrorism is a regular blip on the news) that have dealt with this and can still deal. We aren't special.

Hawkfeathers
20 Apr 2016, 12:17
I totally understand that. But I must add the rest of the world (there are countries where terrorism is a regular blip on the news) that have dealt with this and can still deal. We aren't special.

Trying to view it impartially, as if it had been elsewhere but the same thing happened, I'd say it's a very delicate dance to involve other countries, esp. ones with different standards of justice, and we the public don't know, and will never know, all the facts. Sometimes there's collateral damage on a global scale, which is what Yemen seems to be. US Ambassador Tueller is still bravely trying to work things out.

Medusa
20 Apr 2016, 12:29
Cnn just did a news article saying the govt of Iran was just sued and lost their case dealing with terrorism. I guess you can do it. Who knew?
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/victims-terror-can-seize-iranian-money-scotus-rules-n559271

anunitu
20 Apr 2016, 14:12
In this case the Money might have been frozen as part of sanctions. One issue that SA is facing is the drop in the price of oil. Read that they are getting their people ready for a drop in government subsidy's. When your only(mainly) money maker is being replaced by more modern energy solutions. Other middle eastern countries have been getting away from the single source of income for a while,like Dubai that built a resort area for the very rich and famous.

- - - Updated - - -

Rich and famous playground. (http://www.thefirstgroup.com/en/news/2016/3/dubai-a-playground-for-the-rich-and-famous/)

- - - Updated - - -

After all the moneys gone. (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-12-28/saudi-arabia-aims-to-cut-spending-to-840-billion-riyals-in-2016)

- - - Updated - - -

https://youtu.be/98AJUj-qxHI

habbalah
20 Apr 2016, 19:24
I think it's a terrible idea. The government can't be held responsible for the actions of a section of their society. Now, if it's government-sanctioned, that's one thing. But does that mean that countries in the Middle East get to turn around and sue the US for the killing of civilians in actions such as bombings? Or if we're going with the idea of terror, hate crimes against their citizens here in the US?

anunitu
20 Apr 2016, 19:30
I think it has more to do with rumors about their involvement being true or not,and our(US) allies being true in their dealings with us. We(US) have been known to back nasty bad dictators that have really bad human rights records because we need them to allow us a place to have our troops,or control an area we want to use.

Deal with the devil and all that.

MaskedOne
20 Apr 2016, 20:14
If the US Congress seriously thinks Saudi Arabia has been consciously supporting terror attacks then instead of creating a precedent that can backfire on us, it should start looking at ways to hinder trade, defund any current military aid to Saudi Arabia, lock down problematic charities, push reconciliation with Iran as much as possible (as State answers to the pres, there are limits here), increase funding for renewable energy and otherwise be an ass. This strikes me as a poorly thought out feel good gesture and while the threat of selling off massive amounts of US assets doesn't particularly fill me with terror, I don't like introducing new diplomatic weapons that might be turned against me.

habbalah
20 Apr 2016, 20:22
Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing (the bill. Not you, Masked).

anunitu
20 Apr 2016, 20:24
Remember,it IS an election year....Must make a point,even if that point is stupid(Must get voters attention)

habbalah
20 Apr 2016, 20:28
Remember,it IS an election year....Must make a point,even if that point is stupid(Must get voters attention)

Haven't enough stupid points already been made?

anunitu
20 Apr 2016, 20:32
They are politicians,they only see and hear the voters following their simple words. Not expected for politicians to actually Govern in any real and wise way you understand.